Closed headphone choices
Sep 4, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
If the treble of the K271 is too much for you, I really don't know what to recommend.

x2.

You may try taming the high with layers of houseware fleece, it works fine for the spritzermodded SR404, the MS1000 and the DT880 closed back.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 31
I never would consider the treble of the 840s harsh in any way... they kind of remind me of the HD600 in that regard actually. But you're right the 271s aren't exactly bright though however I still maintain they are brighter than the Shures. Maybe he should try some Sennheisers?

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #18 of 31
Well, let me clarify a little. Yesterday I was just a little bit touchy.

Well let me talk about the highs. In a lot of my songs I really enjoy the drumming, I live to hear loud clear drums. On most of my songs I can hear only the high hat, crash... etc. The double base and tom toms are almost non existent. No this also changes from song to song, although that's more of a shuffle problem.
Although when I press on the earphones that problem goes away, But I'm not going to constantly push the earphones against my head while listening to music as you could expect.

I'll jump over to the other local massive music store after bring these back today.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #21 of 31
So it seems one problem was you didn't get a good seal / fit with the K271. Light bass with headphones is often a symptom of inadequate amplification. 

FWIR, others too have complained of the M50's flabby bass. A better source / amp usually helps. 
Quote:
Although when I press on the earphones that problem goes away, But I'm not going to constantly push the earphones against my head while listening to music as you could expect.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 31
Well, pushing them closer also increases proximity to the drivers, but we could equally assume that it doesn't seal correctly. Same thing happens on IEM's.

I've decided to created a better audio setup before i look to buy $200 headphones. A friend suggested that I'd get a audio interface, but being a DIY electronics guy, I'm going to make my own. He also heavily suggest that I get the DT770 PRO's, and said i needed no amp, not quite sure about that. The only DT770 pros I can get locally are the 250ohm version, which will need some sort of amp.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #24 of 31
If you didn't like the highs of the 271's I'd stay away from Beyers from what I've heard/read. The highs of my 770/600's are much more sheeny/hard/cold/glarey than my 702's. Supposedly the highs of the Beyer models is much the same, as is the highs of the 271 and 701/02's. I think.

I think I'd recommend the 840's too...a little darker sound perhaps...never heard them though.

There's also the Fischer Audio 003's that are supposed to be good closed cans for under $200.

Just keep trying and I think you'll find some match you like.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #25 of 31
Does your K271 has the velour or the vinyl earpads?

And as 1Time already suggested, the DT150 is worth a try.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #26 of 31
The K271's have both the Leatherette and the velvet, but i have since returned them to the store, explained to the same guy i got them from why they "Just didn't do it for me"

I contacted someone on craigslist who was selling the SRH840's for 180CAD, apparently he's selling them out of a store but refuses to give me the location until he develops some trust (ie. give my phone number). He also avoided my request for him to take a picture of what exactly he was selling, so that's a no go.

I'll check these guys out on Tuesday, http://www.hificentre.com/

I've also been watching the FS forum.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #27 of 31
+1 for the Shure SRH 840's, you won't be disappointed. Great Cans. And for the same price 250.00 CAD and even lower for street price

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
What about a possibility for AH-D2000's?

Jack & Joe closed can. Slow 1-tone boombass, aenemic mids, work-to-rule treble and soundscape. Little isolation. Quite comfortable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back