Closed Cans?
Nov 25, 2023 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

geek707

100+ Head-Fier
What do people like?
Z1R? 820s? Meze Liric?
Something else?
I briefly had a pair of Audeze LCD-XCs which I didn't like. (Can't remember why, didn't have them long)

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 14
Try to audition first. Seems like DCA Stealth and ZMF AC/VC are current owners of the throne. However, IEM’s are also sensible and cheap option, many will outperform kilobuck closed backs.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 14
As someone who prefers closed backs and have had many the ZMF Atrium Closed takes the cake for me. I’ve had it since release and it still brings a smile to my face each time I use it

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 14
Try to audition first. Seems like DCA Stealth and ZMF AC/VC are current owners of the throne. However, IEM’s are also sensible and cheap option, many will outperform kilobuck closed backs.
Thank you.
I honestly hadn't thought about IEM's much so I haven't watched where the technology has gone over the last few years.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 14
As someone who prefers closed backs and have had many the ZMF Atrium Closed takes the cake for me. I’ve had it since release and it still brings a smile to my face each time I use it
Thank you.
I've never owned a pair of ZMF headphones. How are they comfort wise?
Maybe another path to explore.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Thank you.
I've never owned a pair of ZMF headphones. How are they comfort wise?
Maybe another path to explore.
I find my AC very comfortable and I think the the Olive Wood is more on the heavy side. I'll listen for a few hours and not feel anything. They come with two sets of pads one that is leather and one that is suede. The leather are very comfortable but the suede take it to a new level.

I'm not sure what your budget it and the AC's are on the pricey side. If you are looking for something a bit less expensive I'd check out the ZMF Bokeh that are releasing December 8th (...I Think) which have a price around $1100. Knowing ZMF headphones I have a feeling those might be one of the best priced headphones for the money. I'm sure some reviews will be coming out soon.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 14
I think the best sounding closed back is easily the Kennerton Rognir Planar. That is subjectively my opinion though.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 14
Seems like DCA Stealth and ZMF AC/VC are current owners of the throne.
There are actually a lot of closed backs you can put in there. I'm sure that there isn't a consensus for top of the throne lol.

Dec 16, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 14
My personal favorite are the Focal Stellia. They just sound good. But compared to my absolute favorites, it was missing something I couldn't put my finger on. Like there was something standing between the drivers and my ears. So I sold them because of how expensive they are compared to my others. Another honorable mention are the AKG K553 II - my first pair ever. To me, they are the HD600 of closed backs. They aren't fancy or super impressive, but they just sound comfortable. Like a nice bowl of mac and cheese. If you know what I mean.

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 14
I think I'm going to need to go to a CanJam some day to check out a bunch of different headphones. But for me... my absolute favorites are my Sony MDR-Z1R. Love the build quality and comfort... and the sound is perfect for when I wanna just listen to my EDM. Puts a huge smile on my face and complements my HD800S well.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 14
MDR-Z1R and the TH-900s were my previous favorites but they have now been dethroned by the ZMF Bokeh.

Z1R is great but there is something a little unnatural about the way it sounds, at least for the genres that I listen to.

I find the timbre of the 900 pretty great due to the biocellulose drivers but it's just a little too bright for my liking. It's bass is also a little overpowering, making it more of a specialized headphone than a good all arounder.

Bokeh has a better timbre than the Sony and is not as bright/bassy as the TH900. Overall, a great middle ground that works for most genres.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 14
What do people like?
Z1R? 820s? Meze Liric?
Something else?
I briefly had a pair of Audeze LCD-XCs which I didn't like. (Can't remember why, didn't have them long)

First off all, like IEMs, full-sized closed-back headphones will always be some kind of compromise balancing act of pros/cons. Nothing is a safe buy without demoing when it comes to closed-backs. And that holds still till today.

You got some extreme bassy ones, but airy to the point of it being like white noise on tracks.

You got many with a dip in the lower mids due to.....well physics.

You got semi-bassy ones with spiky lower treble.

That said, if I were to pick a closed-back that I feel more people would find agreeable then it'd be the Aurorus Australis headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back