Closed cans and the people that wear them.
Feb 3, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

I'm in the market for some quality closed cans. No Sonys or other monitoring headphones. Noise has been a serious problem as of lately, I need some isolation (no to ear buds). They have to be big and comfortable, but most importantly, easily driven (must sound good of course). Portable use is ideal, even if they're not meant for it, as long as they're rugged. Need suggestions.

My suggestion: make your own. Your list of restrictions puts all headphones out of the running. Low impedance quality closed cans were mostly designed for studio monitoring, like the Sony MDR-V6 or the Beyer 250-80. In fact, most of the headphones suggested on this website were designed for the professional recording market (i.e. Beyer 250, 770, 990, Senn 580, 600) and at any rate are too difficult to drive for a portable.

You're on an impossible mission. Good luck. This thread will self-destruct in ten seconds...

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 29
HAHA
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 29
Question: Why do you specifically exclude studio monitoring headphones? The V6's are a dynamite value, and the Beyer's will give you audiophile grade performance right out of your portable. They CERTAINLY will give you more satisfaction than the MX-500's.

Feb 10, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #23 of 29
Does anyone have Denon cans, or at least auditioned them? I was looking at their web site for receiver/amp info & saw the cans. They look nice and Denon has a decent reputation for audio equipment. Any info would be appreciated.

Jon

Feb 11, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 29
Jona, I have auditioned the entire range of Denon phones, using a set of Sony MDR7506 as a base. Personally, I found that the AHD-950 was a close match to the Sony (but, a little too much bass for my liking), the AHD-750 came up a little short, and the rest were unmemorable. I woul save the money and order the Sony MDR-V6 (same as 7506) for $55 from etronics.

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #25 of 29
scrapps55

Thanks for your impressions. Was the 950 less bright than the V6, and how was its soundstage?
It seems that most evaluations of closed cans eventually come back around to V6/7506 as the benchmark. I have 2 V6's- one a worn decade-old set and a second I got a couple weeks ago (from etronics, no less!). I've ordered the Beyer velour pads too.
I may try the Headwize mods on one V6 to control the brightness. I don't know what to try to improve the soundstage. I suppose it is unrealistic to expect a great soundstage with closed cans. On the other hand, the V6 bass has always been first-rate (IMHO).

Jon

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #26 of 29
My impression was that the soundstage was comparable under most circumstances. For me, however, the bass of the AHD-950 tended to dominate the overall sound. When listening to some classical and jazz pieces, details (flutes, clarinets) that I could hear on the Sonys were absent on the Denons. Some here would classify that as "analytical", whereas I call it "accuracy". The Denon is a nice can, but I think you will be happy with the Sony, and save yourself a fair amount of $ in the process.

Feb 11, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #27 of 29
I like my 550s. They are cheaper than the 750/950: mine were $60. They are more musical than the V6 (i.e. less analytical), are well made, and have excellent bass comparable to the V6. I like the V6 better for some music/purposes, but the 550s see their share of listening time. If I were jona, I would try to listen to em both.

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #28 of 29
delenda, I think I'm going to have to try the Denon line again. I usually agree with your comments, but I just was not that impressed with the Denons when I auditioned them (the 750 were OK, the 950 good, but the rest I very quickly dismissed). Maybe my ears weren't working that day, but since I can demo this line pretty easily at a local store, its worth another shot.

Feb 11, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #29 of 29
Srapps, the Denons don't make a strong impression at first; they are kind of subtle. I just picked em up to use at work, and their value has become apparent over time. They are amazingly good at reproducing full detail and deep bass even at low volumes (in the work setting and all) and they sound amazing gvien that they are being driven by my CD ROM headphone jack which has virtually no power behind it...One day I'll bring them home and hook them up to other sources and do a full review.

But again they do not make a strong first impression. Some phones are like that! It's great that you can audition them though; they are pretty hard to find and it also seems tougher to find stores where you can listen to phones at all.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back