Closed back vs Open back + digital parametric EQ
Jan 15, 2021 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

bagwell359

Headphoneus Supremus
1. Lots of folks here won't use EQ (even though modern digital parametric EQ's are undetectable if used in a reasonable way). Older analog EQ's could be easily audible with adjacent settings an octave apart set more than 5 db apart from each other. I,E. +2.5 @ 500 Hz & -2.5 @ 1k Hz.

2. Many like closed backs for bass enhancement. But given that the space and materials available pretty much dictate that these enhancements are not consistent - and the resultant bass produced to be clearly audibly uneven. Much like a box speaker w/ ports bass vs Magnepan 3.7i - slow and chesty vs fast and open.

3. My experience with open backs such as HFM HE-500, HE-6, HE5-LE, HEX v2, Ananda; HD-600, AKG-240, Grado 80es show me that setting an EQ bertween 1.4 - 2.8 db somewhere between 20-90 Hz will get the bass back to even in output (make up for loss out the back of the headphone) with higher bass/mid levels of the headphone in question - without any of the uneven FR and colorations one gets from every closed back I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back