Closed-back headphone for classical music
Nov 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zuriel

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a closed-back headphone that I will use mostly for listening classical music. At this time, based on reviews/suggestions/auditions, I'm deciding on ATH-M50s/LE, AKG 550, or Beyerdynamic DT660. Now, I know that open-back headphones eg. Sennheiser HD600 will be more suitable for this kind of music but I'm going to use this in noisy environments. There are times of day when outside noise can so be so annoying even when you're at home. Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Second hand Denon AH-D2000 would be my choice, or maybe HD25s?

Are you able to try out any of the three you mentioned?

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 8
HD25 might sound too forward-sounding for classical music. I own an MS1i with, imo, almost similar sound sig and it's too fatiguing. I did tried out the M50s/LE and the ordinary M50. The M50s/LE has less mid-bass compared to the regular M50, which translates to more clear violin sounds. Haven't heard the K550 and DT660.

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 8
what is your setup?

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 8
  Well as of now, I'm going to use it on my PC's headphone plug. No amps.

I would say to not get the ATH-M50, the K550 or DT660 should offer better over all sound quality.
Should at least get something better to drive headphones, then on-board audio.
What is the make and model of your motherboard?

Lowest cost sound upgrade option.
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26.80 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 8
You want a neutral can with excellent extension and clarity.  A large sound stage would also be nice, but needing a closed can limits you in this regard.  You do not want the sound signature of the M50 for classical.

PurpleAngel is correct.  You should upgrade from your on-board audio.

Depending on your budget look into the Sony MDR 7520, Senn Amperior and Senn HD25-1 II.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 8
How about the KRK KNS 8400?  It's a well-reviewed, fairly neutral can.  There is a mini-review here that specifically talks about using them for classical music.

Not sure of your budget, but since you mentioned the M50s and K550s, these should fit right in.  They sell them at Guitar Center (if you're in the US) and you should be able to demo them right out of the box if you ask.

I would second upgrading your sound card from onboard.  The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) or DGX (PCI-e) would be the cheapest option that would offer you some wiggle room on future headphones (has a decent built in amp) as well as a boost in clarity (and a reduction in electrical interference).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back