Closed-back headphone advice for studying and working in a library
Sep 17, 2015 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SunTanScanMan

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all! I've been active on this site for a little while and needed some advice.

I will be spending a lot of time at the library studying and working for the foreseeable future, therefore I would like to purchase a headphone suitable to use in that environment.

I have a shortlist below, and would be grateful for your thoughts, experience with the gear, and any other recommendations. Budget is max. £250.00

Headphones
- Sony MDR-1A
- AKG 550
- Audio-Technica M70X
- Beyerdynamic DT770
- Beyerdynamic T51p

Desired features (order of importance)
- Good isolation and minimum sound leakage
- Comfortable
- Relatively portable - I don't have to wear it in the street, but needs to be relatively compact in the rucksack

Equipment
Asus UX305 ultrabook > HRT Microstreamer

Music preference
Mainly string and piano chamber music

----------------
I have auditioned the MDR-1R and a Senn Momentum in the store. I like the signature of the 1R can I presume that the 1A is similar. The Momentum (gen.1) sounded fine, but fell down in comfort.

My only concerns are that the treble of some of the headphones may become too fatiguing, or that the headphones are not really portable. I think I am most leaning towards the Sony or the AKG.

Thank you for your time!

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 14
The AKGs are big, keep that in mind; but fro what I've read they have one of the widest soundstages of any closed headphone (and certainly that of any headphone at that price).

Based on descriptions of their sound, and the music you will be listening to, the AKG-K550 would probably be my recommendation.

The DT770 is a very nice and very comfortable headphone, but the sound signature of them is not what you're after. They're also heavier than the K550s (but have better ear pads).

I've not heard the M70X, but if they're anything like their little brother (or sister) the M50x then they're likely not what you're after either. I personally found the M50s to be not comfortable on my head, and the pleather pads were not the best thing (got sweaty very easily and quickly).

Sep 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 14
IMO,

MDR-1A - An improvement over the MDR-1R in terms of comfort and sound. Warm sounding with tighter bass and clearer mids compared to the 1R. Very comfortable and pretty portable as it folds flat. My Overall Recommendation.

Nad Visa HP50 - Best sounding of the lot. Very comfortable and warm sound. Very good soundstage. It doesn't fold. As long as you have a backpack or don't mind having it on your neck, this is an excellent choice. My Recommendation if you are after best sound.

DT770 - Not very portable. But very comfortable and very good soundstage. V shaped with slight emphasis on bass. Mids won't be as clear as the HP50s. And like the other member mentioned, this sound signature may not suit your music preference.

M70X - Let's move on

Beyerdynamic T51P - Warm sound, comfortable and very portable. May not offer the experience that the full sized headphones can offer.

Sep 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 14
Based on your sound preference(and not music preference), you would like a warm sounding headphone. Go for HP50 if you want best sound and willing to compromise a little on portability. Go for T51 if you want best portable headphone. Go for MDR-1A if you want a bit of both.

Edit:
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 will be a good choice if you have small ears. But since you felt the Momentum 1 is uncomfortable, there is a chance that even the M2s being uncomfortable. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks very much everyone. I had forgotten about the NAD.

The sticking point with both the AKG and NAD are the size. But the AKG is better pricewise, and the NAD looks larger.
The issue with the Sony is whether it leaks too much - what are your thoughts on that aspect?
I've read good things about the T51p, will look into them further.

-----------

I had also forgotten that the DT770 has a coiled cable. In addition to the weight, It might be a stretch too far for my purposes.

@vishnusiddharth - can I ask what you didn't like about the M70X?

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 14
It's not a bad HP. It's just that there are better ones for the same price. Its quite bulky and not everyone is a big fan of its looks. It's sound signature is neutral but even in that aspect, ATH MSR7 outperforms it.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks very much everyone. I had forgotten about the NAD.

The sticking point with both the AKG and NAD are the size. But the AKG is better pricewise, and the NAD looks larger.

The issue with the Sony is whether it leaks too much - what are your thoughts on that aspect?
I've read good things about the T51p, will look into them further.

-----------

I had also forgotten that the DT770 has a coiled cable. In addition to the weight, It might be a stretch too far for my purposes.

@vishnusiddharth
 - can I ask what you didn't like about the M70X?

Only the 250 Ohm DT770 has a coiled cable. The 80 (and maybe the 32 and 16) Ohm version(s) have a ~10ft straight cable.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 14
I think I will make a decision between the Sony or the AKG. Currently reading through the threads and other sources. Will look at the DT770 again just to make sure, but it may be too bulky for my needs unfortunately.

I'll update the thread once I make my purchase.

Thanks all

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #10 of 14
- Relatively portable - I don't have to wear it in the street, but needs to be relatively compact in the rucksack

Don't get me wrong. I really like the sound of the AKG K550. But "relatively compact" is not how I would describe them. They are not a headphone I would want to lug around.

The NAD HP50 would definitely take up less room when folded flat and put in their case (which comes with it). In fact, that's one reason I got my HP50s--for travel. My K550s stay in my bedroom and never leave (lol).

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 14
Don't get me wrong. I really like the sound of the AKG K550. But "relatively compact" is not how I would describe them. They are not a headphone I would want to lug around.

The NAD HP50 would definitely take up less room when folded flat and put in their case (which comes with it). In fact, that's one reason I got my HP50s--for travel. My K550s stay in my bedroom and never leave (lol).

Hmmn that's something to consider, both the NAD and AKG looked similar size in pictures. They both fold similarly right? I like the AKG's design (and price) better, particularly the headband.
What are your thoughts on the isolation/leakage between the two?

Thanks

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 14
Hi all,
Would just like to update you that I opted for the K550 in the end, and will be keeping them. I've been using it in the library for about a week, the treble turned out to be not bothersome as feared. I find the seal and noise isolation is excellent, which has been a blessing in the silent study zone. Build quality and finish great too. Slightly heavier and smaller than I expected. I wish the pads were thicker to give more room for the ears. They can start hurting after a long session.

Thanks again all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back