Closed-back full-sized over ear headphones, ideal for listening to reggae and accoustic
Jun 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LaPierre

100+ Head-Fier
First let me just say, this is my very first post on Head-Fi and it gives me a warm-fuzzy feeling to be part of such an enthusiastic-audio community like this one. Any who, to the point of this thread:

I'm looking for a headphone under 180$ that is of a closed design, has powerful bass capabilities without the all-too-common muddiness and leakage problems that affects other, higher frequencies and is reliable. I'd be using this headphone for travel (nothing too extensive besides daily 40 minutes bus rides to and from school) and I will be listening to mainly Reggae, Classic Rock and Drum 'N' Bass. I've been searching for a good headphone for probably around a year now... To give you a good idea of just what I'm looking for, I'll elaborate on my tastes. 

I've owned the Sony XB-500s, JVC HA RX500s and now currently own the JVC HA RX900s. The XB-500s really did hit my sweet spot when it came to bass performance, despite being muddy and boomy and less than average with the mids and treble performance. The RX500s were pretty balanced, bass-lacking cans with a decent sound with a few creaking issues. The RX900s are the closest headphones to what I'm looking for,with a well-defined midrange and relaxed highs; yet still not having enough bass for my needs. I also have a Logitech G35 Headset, (which I'm not sure would be a good mention, unless one of you coincidentally has experienced it's sound as well) which is a little bright, but when EQd it's low end is really where I'd like my headphones to be at, except of course with more quantity. (because the G35 is an exclusively at home piece of equipment and isn't really made to compete with outside-noise levels of higher volume) That's all I can really think to say to give you an idea; I've been considering the below set of phones for awhile but I really don't know what'd be best for me:

Audio Technica ATH-M50 140$
Audio Technica WS55 80$
M-Audio Q40 120$
XB700 80$
DT770 PRO 200$ (out of my price range)

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 3
I think the M-Audio would hit right where you want it, with huge impact close to the XB500, but with much more clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back