Closed back, comfortable, headphones with great sound which do not break easily? Budget 500$
Nov 28, 2011 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

illerrre

New Head-Fier
I'm novice but got 500$ to spend on a pair of great sounding headphones. They are mainly for my work where I listen to music about 5 hours/day, but will also be used for making music.

It's important that they are comfortable for several hours of use, closed back and do not break easily. I thought I had found the perfect headphones (denon ah-d2000) but then I read in a couple reviews that they break easily.

Any suggestions?

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 38
Reviews will make a problem look as if it'll certainly happen to you. Just because a few angry reviewers experienced something, doesn't mean you will as well. Not many people logging on the interwebzz to say "I've owned this for 2 years, hasn't broken yet". Just saying. :)

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 38

Quote:
Reviews will make a problem look as if it'll certainly happen to you. Just because a few angry reviewers experienced something, doesn't mean you will as well. Not many people logging on the interwebzz to say "I've owned this for 2 years, hasn't broken yet". Just saying. :)

x2 Broken d2000s are isolated problems.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 38
Well, you're absolutely right, but I'm lost in this jungle of headphones and they seemed to bash them pretty hard by they way they were built. They said they weren't for everyday use (couple of hours/day) because then they will certainly break within a year.

If people tell me different I will probably go for them though.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 38
I almost bought the D2000 but found a new D5000 for $419. Today might be your lucky day since it's Cyber Monday. I have read enough to convince me that this pair will be around for a long time. Either the 2000 or 5000 have enough of the fun factor while being accurate as the other big players on the market. I've read the D2000 is more live and forward sounding while the D5000 is a little warmer because of less recessed mids, either way they are very involving to listen with and can be worn for hours with no fatigue (that should be a major plus).

BTW: Yes do your co-workers a favor and get closed (even the Denon's can leak but less than open). That's why I stick with the IEM @ work cause a guy we work with has Sony closed type but I think he's deft and everyone hates it around him.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 38
Quite a lot. Enough that my wife banned their use in bed at night when she wanted to sleep

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 38
Nov 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 38
D2000s are too coloured for making music right? I'd go for ER4 (iem) for max isolation and neutral sound sig. If you're going full-size, maybe some German Maestros? Good build quality and praised by another guy who's also in studio work (Acix I think). I've never heard them though. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 38
Just a warning about the German Maestro models...even though they are outstanding headphones, the closed models still leak quite a bit.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #15 of 38
The Denons do leak and let in sound more than most closed cans. Beyerdynamic DT770 and Ultrasone Pro 750/Pro900 would isolate more. They are also both well built and sturdy. The Sennheiser HD 25 II is one of the classic portables that has good sound and is durable. Search "Closed headphones" and I'm sure you shall find many suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back