Closed-back audiophile headphones with bass SLAM?
Aug 5, 2022 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

droopdog7

New Head-Fier
Open-back headphones are great. In most ways, they set the standard for audio quality/detail. But try as the might, it seems to me that they can’t really keep up with modern hip hops bloomy bass lines. I’m sure some come close.

In terms of bass slam, make your head rattle and shake, which closed-backs would get the job done best while still bringing high quality sound?

EDIT: based on research, the Sony Mdrz1r look intriguing. So let’s consider them the reference to any of your suggestions.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 31
ZMF Eikon (discontinued 😞), Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro.

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 31
Fostex TH900 Mk2 for sure

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 31
Ultrasone makes some great bassy cans, favorite is sig master.

On budget side just get a Sivga SV021, fun woody closed back, and the pads are amazing.

Like these more than the Fostex cans. They have a fun and bassy enjoyable sound but also has sparkle on top too.

They sound so much better than they should at $100, and most of the higher priced headphones won't have the fun bass signature of something like this. Higher priced cans often dial that back a little. Perfect for EDM, rap, pop etc.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 31
When I want bass slam, which admittedly isn't as often as some (lol), I reach for my EMU Teaks. I spent quite a while demoing midfi sets looking for something with clean bass kick that doesn't bleed into the mids or recess them to crap and keeps the low and controlled and articulate. The Teaks fit the bill. I tried various Fostex, Sony, Audeze, Hifiman, etc models that people recommended and some were quite good, but when I heard the Teaks I knew right away that they were my keepers.

Before the Teaks I used Meze 99 Classics for quite a while and the Fostex TH900Mk2 for about a month as well. Both of them had more bass, but the Teaks keep it cleaner and give more detail and articulation in low end along with some really satisfying slam. The TH900's treble can be a bit much on some tracks and the bass does bleed into the mids a bit as well.

But what do I know? I'm more of a balanced, neutral, and even neutral-bright guy...

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 31
I also like balanced headphones. Fostex TH610 is not very far from the Teak. Use Eq and you can get the Teak sound.
Thanks for the advice, but I like my Teaks just as they are. I bought them specifically because I wanted a bass heavy pair for the few occasions where I want to feel the bass and the Teaks do that very well!

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 31
I have the MDR-Z1R and TH900Mk2. The Fostex has more slam, but the Sony edges them out in overall sound. They both sound amazing, and you can’t go wrong with either👍

34D97B2A-84FA-472A-842F-3EE6B98BE71A.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 31
I have the MDR-Z1R and TH900Mk2. The Fostex has more slam, but the Sonys edge them out in overall sound. They both sound amazing, and you can’t go wrong with either👍

34D97B2A-84FA-472A-842F-3EE6B98BE71A.jpeg

Agreed! I have the Z1R and the Denon 9200 (pretty similar to the Fostex). The Denon have more "slam" to me, but I prefer the grander presentation of the Sony's bass, even if it is a tad more loose.

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 31
I have the MDR-Z1R and TH900Mk2. The Fostex has more slam, but the Sonys edge them out in overall sound. They both sound amazing, and you can’t go wrong with either👍
Are MDR-Z1R headphones closed or open? What about Sony MDR-Z7M2, is this the cheaper version? The Fostex headband is somewhat loose. Is it made of metal and can you bend it?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 31
Are MDR-Z1R headphones closed or open? What about Sony MDR-Z7M2, is this the cheaper version? The Fostex headband is somewhat loose. Is it made of metal and can you bend it?
They’re considered closed, but they both have ports, so isolation is good, but not great. Even the Fostex is not 100% closed. Yes, the headband is made of metal…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back