Clip+ v. Clip Zip
Jan 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
I just read the Clip+ review on NwAvGuys blog, and it has really impressive results from his tests.  Sansa's new replacement mp3 for the discontinued Clip+ is the Clip Zip, which I hear is identical in music hardware to the Clip+. 

Can I buy a Clip Zip knowing that it will sound exactly like the Clip+?  Has anyone heard both or have insight on this?

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
I just read the Clip+ review on NwAvGuys blog, and it has really impressive results from his tests.  Sansa's new replacement mp3 for the discontinued Clip+ is the Clip Zip, which I hear is identical in music hardware to the Clip+. 

Can I buy a Clip Zip knowing that it will sound exactly like the Clip+?  Has anyone heard both or have insight on this?

It has the same audio chip inside, so yes. I sold off my last Clip+ and replaced it with another Zip (I have three of them now, all running Rockbox)

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 17
So the Zip can be just as easily Rockboxed as the Clip+?

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 17
Had the clip+ and it died in a week. replaced it with the clip zip and it is much better & reliable!
in normal eq(unamped) cowon j3 & clip zip sound the same for me with 320kbps mp3.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 17
For me, the clip zip is better than clip+. The FM radio reception was not that great in 
clip+, when compared to clip zip. 

I also have a Cowon C2. I find the SQ of clip zip way much better than C2, with
a normal EQ setting. I did not like the BBE sound enhancements and feel they add
coloration to sound.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
For me, the clip zip is better than clip+. The FM radio reception was not that great in 
clip+, when compared to clip zip. 

I also have a Cowon C2. I find the SQ of clip zip way much better than C2, with
a normal EQ setting. I did not like the BBE sound enhancements and feel they add
coloration to sound.

+1

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Yea seems like the cowon eq is sort of a hit or miss.  You either love it, or you hate it.  Or you think it's ok. 

That's why I haven't gotten one.  Zip looks good though

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 17
I would pay $100 for a Clip Zip that had bluetooth capability. . .

maybe next generation clip will have this feature

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 17
I just found a clip+ in a drawer, the files on it appear to be from 2005.  Thing seems to work fine, I'm loading it up now.  Could it really be seven years old?  Did they make the clip+ back then?

From my testing of one Joanna Newsom track I determined that it had a nice amp and a less than stellar dac. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back