Clip+ or Clip zip a major downgrade from RWA iMod and Fiio E11? (Other Ultra Portable DAPs)
Mar 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys i have a RWA 5.5g iMod 80gb and a Fiio E11 im using with ATH-CKM50 and for my style of music (EDM, chilled dubstep, trance, etc) the iMod is just too bulky for me as im going on holiday soon so need something lightweight!« and compact!

So would getting a Sansa Clip+ or zip be a major downgrade from the regular headphone out of the 5.5g ipod classic, as if it is only a slight downgrade i think i could live with it just because of the size difference (so small haha)
Or should i just skip the Clip+ or Zip and use my Samsung Galaxy S2 as my DAP?

Open to other DAPs such as Sony etc, but Im looking for an ultra portable solution here, getting fed up with so much bulk! I do however like the EQ options with Rockbox after my Titanium HD arrived and the extensive EQ options i have with that thing, I give a big boost to bass with my EQ´ing so a dark player is appealing for me...dont judge people haha :p

Thanks for all your help in advance!

iMOD for sale here if your interested! Would knock some cash off for clip+ or zip!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603107/rwa-imod-5-5g-80gb-with-free-alo-imod-limited-edition-lod-free-fiio-e11-dap-portable-amp-fs

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 17
The Sansa Clip+ has superb sound quality, I pair mine with an E11 permanently, fitting the bill nicely over all my ipods (seen on my profile page) It has a very neutral sound, I find the bass well presented where as my ipods give a slightly artificial sounding bass. The first thing I noticed when I used the Clip+ was how much more refined everything sounded taking a natural approach. Everything feels smooth.

if you pair them together it could look something like this...

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 17
^sweet...
i pair mine like this:
kinda ugly looking, something a mother could only love, lol

the clip still works, i could still clip it on to something.... im buying an ipod 80gb again soon, so i guess we're totally heading into diff direction, hehe... oh and be sure to rockboxed the zip though, without it SQ sounds a bit colored (im a fan of neutrality), dont worry about the stability, mine never hang or gave me any issues....

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 17
^ lol nice!. I had my Clip+ paired with an E5, it was sure tasking making everything fit together. Mmmmm I said...what to do with all this uneeded cabling. I see you've gone the weave and duck approach, I ended up finding a piece of perspex the same width banding them at either end. It looked like something from the dark ages. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 17

Some funky looking stuff haha...can only imagine what that perspex would look like haha :D

However i dont think i would pair my E11 with it...trying to seriously bulk down! unless it makes a massive difference which i doubt after reading a few reviews. 

Quote:
The Sansa Clip+ has superb sound quality, I pair mine with an E11 permanently, fitting the bill nicely over all my ipods (seen on my profile page) It has a very neutral sound, I find the bass well presented where as my ipods give a slightly artificial sounding bass. The first thing I noticed when I used the Clip+ was how much more refined everything sounded taking a natural approach. Everything feels smooth.

i suggest you get the CKM50 earphone after looking at your sig (much better than Visang RO2 IMO)...will all be gone soon as massive sale as its now discontinued...big thread on head fi about them too after Dnuts found em´ 
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-CKM50A-Headphones-Rare-earth-earpieces/dp/B002OSWGPI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333014154&sr=8-3

Or the CKS77 are more expensive but sound even better apparently...more so than TF10´s and other favourites on here, its my new planned upgrade for a few months :D

Quote:
im buying an ipod 80gb again soon, so i guess we're totally heading into diff direction, hehe... oh and be sure to rockboxed the zip though, without it SQ sounds a bit colored (im a fan of neutrality), dont worry about the stability, mine never hang or gave me any issues....

Yeh big fan of Rockbox too!  Curious as to why your getting a classic/video ipod over clip, better SQ as thats the main point of this thread woudl really like to know how different SQ will be between the clip+ and Ipod video 5.5g :p

Thakns for all your help guys!

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:

Yeh big fan of Rockbox too!  Curious as to why your getting a classic/video iPod over clip, better SQ as thats the main point of this thread would really like to know how different SQ will be between the clip+ and Ipod video 5.5g :p  
Thanks for all your help guys!

idk about the SQ, but im running out of storage though.... plus i need to put my E11 into good use.... :)

Quote:
^ lol nice!. I had my Clip+ paired with an E5, it was sure tasking making everything fit together. Mmmmm I said...what to do with all this uneeded cabling. I see you've gone the weave and duck approach, I ended up finding a piece of perspex the same width banding them at either end. It looked like something from the dark ages. 

yeah i copied it from someone here, makes sense to me...
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #7 of 17
I absolutely love my combination of a Sansa Clip Zip with a ZO2. I actually removed the clip from the Clip Zip to make it even smaller. I call it a SanZO. The Clip Zip and Clip+, as far as I know, have the same internals. 

Quote:
Hi guys i have a RWA 5.5g iMod 80gb and a Fiio E11 im using with ATH-CKM50 and for my style of music (EDM, chilled dubstep, trance, etc) the iMod is not actually making THAT much of an improvement to justify the added bulk, so i am currently just using it as a normal 5.5g ipod Rockboxed through headphone jack, which is a massive waste as you all know (i bet another headfier would put it to better use!) 

So would getting a Sansa Clip+ or zip be a major downgrade from the regular headphone out of the 5.5g ipod classic, as if it is only a slight downgrade i think i could live with it just because of the size difference (so small haha)
Or should i just skip the Clip+ and use my Samsung Galaxy S2 as my DAP?

Open to other DAPs such as Sony etc, but Im looking for an ultra portable solution here, getting fed up with so much bulk! I do however like the EQ options with Rockbox after my Titanium HD arrived and the extensive EQ options i have with that thing, I give a big boost to bass with my EQ´ing so a dark player is appealing for me...dont judge people haha :p

Thanks for all your help in advance and you may well be seeing my RWA iMOD and ALO iMOD LOD on the FS pages! (Im in UK,  BTW)

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I absolutely love my combination of a Sansa Clip Zip with a ZO2. I actually removed the clip from the Clip Zip to make it even smaller. I call it a SanZO. The Clip Zip and Clip+, as far as I know, have the same internals. 

Hmmm...i was planning on getting rid of my Fiio E11 too as i thought the zip and clip+ had a good amp built in and a dedicated amp didnt add much to the SQ, but everyone who´s posted is using it with a amp so does it sound better with the ZO2 or other amps or does it just add more power? Good to know you can remove the clip from the back...i was planning  would have to try and snap it off and may have left sharp edges :D

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 17
I have to break the pin holding the clip on it and then used some cutters and a little bit of sand paper to remove the plastic off the back and make it as close to flush as I could. It's not really meant to come off, but I never used the clip feature anyways. I haven't used the clip zip without the amp besides in my car a few times so i cant really tell you about the built in amp, but with a size so small, it attaches to my ZO2 perfectly and I really don't see any reason I shouldn't use the two together all the time.

Quote:
Hmmm...i was planning on getting rid of my Fiio E11 too as i thought the zip and clip+ had a good amp built in and a dedicated amp didnt add much to the SQ, but everyone who´s posted is using it with a amp so does it sound better with the ZO2 or other amps or does it just add more power? Good to know you can remove the clip from the back...i was planning  would have to try and snap it off and may have left sharp edges :D

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
I have to break the pin holding the clip on it and then used some cutters and a little bit of sand paper to remove the plastic off the back and make it as close to flush as I could. It's not really meant to come off, but I never used the clip feature anyways. I haven't used the clip zip without the amp besides in my car a few times so i cant really tell you about the built in amp, but with a size so small, it attaches to my ZO2 perfectly and I really don't see any reason I shouldn't use the two together all the time.

Thanks for that mate! 

Woudl be very interested if you could A/B amped vs non amped to see if i should let my E11 go with my iMOD..may just keep it as you never know, but could do with the cash tbh...no worries i you dont have time or cba...just curious thats all...appreciate the help you have given me so far BTW! 

Also any reccomendation for low profile interconnect both at right angles if amped it a BIG improvement?

Thanks mate

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 17
FiiO makes one, the one you see in my pictures is the L8.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for that mate! 

Woudl be very interested if you could A/B amped vs non amped to see if i should let my E11 go with my iMOD..may just keep it as you never know, but could do with the cash tbh...no worries i you dont have time or cba...just curious thats all...appreciate the help you have given me so far BTW! 

Also any reccomendation for low profile interconnect both at right angles if amped it a BIG improvement?

Thanks mate

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 17

i suggest you get the CKM50 earphone after looking at your sig (much better than Visang RO2 IMO)...will all be gone soon as massive sale as its now discontinued...big thread on head fi about them too after Dnuts found em´ 
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-CKM50A-Headphones-Rare-earth-earpieces/dp/B002OSWGPI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333014154&sr=8-3

Or the CKS77 are more expensive but sound even better apparently...more so than TF10´s and other favourites on here, its my new planned upgrade for a few months :D

I've been looking at them but Amazon won't ship to Australia. I recently purchased a pair of refurbed Turbines here I'm waiting on. I hardly use my RO2 to be honest, I've actually got them for sale on ebay because my Hippo VB run rings around them. Thanks for the suggestion none the less. 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

I've done some A/B comparison with and without E11, it's definitely better with the amp for me. The bass tightens up giving the over signature more body, especially with something like Hippo VB which don't mind some extra power, plus you have the EQ settings which give my preferred taste. The player is absolutely 100% fine without an amp too, lets just remember that but.. for my IEM's I only use the low power setting switching between high / low gain depending on genre. For dubstep / rock I use high gain - bands like Burial low gain. I've read high gain brings the mids forward slightly which appears the case for me. The best thing I can suggest is do some sampling yourself (once you decide on a player) a good few hours with / without before you sell off your E11.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
I've done some A/B comparison with and without E11, it's definitely better with the amp for me. The bass tightens up giving the over signature more body, especially with something like Hippo VB which don't mind some extra power, plus you have the EQ settings which give my preferred taste. The player is absolutely 100% fine without an amp too, lets just remember that but.. for my IEM's I only use the low power setting switching between high / low gain depending on genre. For dubstep / rock I use high gain - bands like Burial low gain. I've read high gain brings the mids forward slightly which appears the case for me. The best thing I can suggest is do some sampling yourself (once you decide on a player) a good few hours with / without before you sell off your E11.

Thanks for the heads up...will hang on to the E11 for a while then! Would you say the sound signiture of the Clip+ unamped is bright, as i prefer dark sounding sources TBH, if it is a little bright do you think the EQ on Rockbox will darken it up at all wit  boost to the bass?

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up...will hang on to the E11 for a while then! Would you say the sound signiture of the Clip+ unamped is bright, as i prefer dark sounding sources TBH, if it is a little bright do you think the EQ on Rockbox will darken it up at all wit  boost to the bass?

I would say it's a little bright, very minimal to my ears  when compared to my ipods. not something I would call a concern. The Rockbox EQ corrects it easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back