clicking/popping sound on my dongles
Dec 11, 2023 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

houaiss

Head-Fier
hello!

I'm starting to hear clicking/popping sounds on my iem while using two dongle dacs I have (openheart CX31993 and the truthear shio). Those sounds happens at random and only when those dacs are being used on my cellphone (samsung galaxy s10 lite). When I insert my iem directly on my 3.5mm jack, those sounds disappear. At the same time, when I tried using my shio in my pc i did not get the sound. So I suspect it has something to do with the interaction between my cellphone and those dongles. Maybe the usb-c entry is getting fault? Maybe some other internal component? Is there a way for me to figure out exactly what's happening? maybe a fix? Maybe downgrade the android of my cellphone? maybe that is some setting to change the dac of my cellphone or to change how my cellphone interacts with the external dongles I connect to?
I'm thinking of buying a cheap cellphone (like motorola g14, just for listening to music so it doesn't need to be really good, just functional to music listening) to try it out, but I'm afraid that the problem will persist. So i'd like to really see if there isn't any other way to let my current cellphone work or if its some problem specific to my cellphone and that I'd need to get another one.

I found this too https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/demo-cs131.php#gsc.tab=0

any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 12
hello!

I'm starting to hear clicking/popping sounds on my iem while using two dongle dacs I have (openheart CX31993 and the truthear shio). Those sounds happens at random and only when those dacs are being used on my cellphone (samsung galaxy s10 lite). When I insert my iem directly on my 3.5mm jack, those sounds disappear. At the same time, when I tried using my shio in my pc i did not get the sound. So I suspect it has something to do with the interaction between my cellphone and those dongles. Maybe the usb-c entry is getting fault? Maybe some other internal component? Is there a way for me to figure out exactly what's happening? maybe a fix? Maybe downgrade the android of my cellphone? maybe that is some setting to change the dac of my cellphone or to change how my cellphone interacts with the external dongles I connect to?
I'm thinking of buying a cheap cellphone (like motorola g14, just for listening to music so it doesn't need to be really good, just functional to music listening) to try it out, but I'm afraid that the problem will persist. So i'd like to really see if there isn't any other way to let my current cellphone work or if its some problem specific to my cellphone and that I'd need to get another one.

I found this too https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/demo-cs131.php#gsc.tab=0

any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Where is the actual music coming from?

Are you streaming or is it local?

If streaming, are you doing it through their app?

If local, which audio player?

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 12
Where is the actual music coming from?

Are you streaming or is it local?

If streaming, are you doing it through their app?

If local, which audio player?
the music is coming from the flac file in my micro sd card inserted in my samsung galaxy s10
i'm using the player called musicolet

when I test in my pc I play (through vlc) the same file that was played in my cellphone

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I have used Musicolet but a long time ago--when you plug in your dac, does it prompt for access to it?

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 12
I see! when I plug it I don't get any message, it just start working automatically

I don't know if there's a setting for it--some players don't. When the dac doesn't get exclusive access on Android, it can sound like static, pops, hiss, emi, distortion, etc.

Download HiBy Music (which is free). Go into settings and allow USB exclusive access. Then play some music and see if the popping continues.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't know if there's a setting for it--some players don't. When the dac doesn't get exclusive access on Android, it can sound like static, pops, hiss, emi, distortion, etc.

Download HiBy Music (which is free). Go into settings and allow USB exclusive access. Then play some music and see if the popping continues.
thank you very much! this player has a lot of usb options. I'm gonna try the option you mentioned and gonna do some tests

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 12
thank you very much! this player has a lot of usb options. I'm gonna try the option you mentioned and gonna do some tests

You're welcome, let us know how it goes!

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 12
You're welcome, let us know how it goes!
Hello again!
I'm testing with the hiby player and using the option you "Exclusive HQ USB audio access" but now I randomly get some kind of stuttering where the music will pause and immediately after will play again
I'll keep trying, if I get it right I'll let you know
Thank you very much!

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Hello again!
I'm testing with the hiby player and using the option you "Exclusive HQ USB audio access" but now I randomly get some kind of stuttering where the music will pause and immediately after will play again
I'll keep trying, if I get it right I'll let you know
Thank you very much!

Maybe check to see if power saving exclusion has been granted to HiBy Music. Copy some files to internal storage and see if they play better from there vs the SD card.

Dec 12, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Maybe check to see if power saving exclusion has been granted to HiBy Music. Copy some files to internal storage and see if they play better from there vs the SD card.
tried those things and didn't help unfortunately
I tried using the shio on a budget cellphone (motorola g14) and the cellphone didn't even recognized lol, except one time it did (after a lot of search and changing settings) but the sound was really noisy
anyway, thank you very much for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back