Cleaning records by hand
Feb 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I know everyone has their own techniques for cleaning records, and I'm looking for a nice effective manual process to try on my grubbiest LPs. Let me know what solutions you use to clean (home made or commercial), and what your method is to do it by hand - no fancy vacuum machines here!

Oh, and let's see if we can keep this from degrading into a 'vacuum machines' are better thread - that's not what this is about!

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 11
I clean by hand and it's relatively easy. I bought a short-bristled artist's brush for under $10 USD at the local art supply store. I got one that was fairly soft and had fine bristles. You'll find a wide selection of brushes, but I don't think it's that critical.

To clean, I use the kitchen sink sprayer to spray the record to loosen up the big stuff and take some of it off. Then I'll put a few drops of mild, unscented dishwashing liquid in a glass and fill it with warm water. Dip the brush in that and scrub the record in circles (with the groove) in both directions on both sides. Then I'll spray it off again and lay the record on a bath towel. I'll dry it gently by patting (NOT RUBBING) it with a paper towel. After I pat both sides, I'll put the record in a cheap plastic dish rack to dry overnight.

After it dries, I'll put it in a new sleeve and use the brush on it before playing.

Also, I don't freak out about getting the label wet. I'll probably get my head bitten for saying that, but I've not had one peel up or be damaged. I don't soak or scrub the labels, but running them under water hasn't hurt them any, as far as I can tell.

Haven't accidentally scratched any records (yet) and they come out nice and clean.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 11
I use clean sponges and white vinegar with a thorough rinse in distilled water afterwards. Works like a charm.

See ya
Steve

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 11
I use a modified version of 'bigshot's method. I bought a large microfiber towel (designed for using on auto finishes), several microfiber-covered auto-wax application pads, and two smaller Microtex microfiber towels to use for finishing off/drying the records. I mix distilled water/white vinegar in a 3:1 solution in a small spray bottle. First I lay the record on the large towel. Next I spray the solution liberally on the record (try to avoid spraying on the label) and scrub the records in a circular fashion in the direction of the grooves with the applicator pads. Once I do both sides I wipe them gently dry with the microfiber towels and put them into a brand new poly-paper-poly record sleeve. I feel that the microfiber towels do a good enough job of drying that I can use the record directly after I clean it. Some may argue that they need to air-dry longer. I also alternate/switch out/clean the applicator pads pretty frequently as they get pretty dirty with just a few sides.

With this said, I will probably eventually get or build a record cleaning machine.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 11
I just want to thank both Big Shot and Uncle Eric for the many posts and the huge amount of shared information. (You also Ingo)

I am listening to Brain Salad Surgery on vinyl, after hand cleaning and blotting with lots of paper towels. I don't know if the paper can cut the vinyl, does anyone know the rockwell hardness of the two substances?

It was easy, reverse osmosis water, dionized, (I raise Discus fish also) with 10% of 93% isopropyl alcohol, wettted, brushed with a sable artists brush, flushed, and the discs cleaned up great, and dried without a spot, that Pink Floyd Relics album needed a bit of careful finger nail work as I was certain those brown spot didn't belong there. (Thirty year old mung).
I will try vinegar tomorrow as I don't know if isopropyl is good for vinyl. More chemistry homework.
Thanks again to all of the people who post their knowledge on these forums it is a great reference.
My new/old AR ES-1 with grace 747 arm (Vinyl Nirvana helped w DIY cleaning etc, Dave is OK) and Denon DL 160 cartridge (it's all the local guy had, but still great-I do want to try some other cartridges) and is producing a great sound stream off my old records.
I probably could have done as well new but it is a beautiful old rig, and it was fun to assemble it and tune it up (I have more to do as I am going to build a new rack or two for my equipment)

It's pretty impressive sounding, and it's nice to be able to listen to my old stuff without buying it again or cringing at the noise.

Guess I'll be doing discs at the sink for awhile. Wax on, wax off.

Now if I can just figure out who can re-stylus the vintage audioquest cart that came with the AR, I will have a second cartridge option.

Sum Zoom Spock

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Just a follow up, I tried a solution of 1/2 cup RO/DI (Distilled) water, 2 oz of alcohol (93%), and 2 oz of vinegar with 1 drop of dishwashing liquid (Ajax), brushed with groove, rinsed with a little more water, blotted and dried with paper towels, I wiped the water off. I watched through my magnifier, and the surface looks clean and shiny, it has that beautiful vinyl sheen. I let them rack dry for a couple of minutes before re-sleeving.
They sound great, I don't have a way to look down in the grooves- but I'll work on finding a microscope.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Paper towels are terrible. Very abrasive. Use sponges or microfiber cloths.

Always let your records dry overnight before playing them.

See ya
Steve

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 11
White vinegar and microfiber cloths from RS,maybe one day one it gets big enough (my record collection,say over 500 records+)

I'll invest in a used Nitty Gritty.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrclarkie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will try vinegar tomorrow as I don't know if isopropyl is good for vinyl. More chemistry homework.

I'm not sure about this, but I do know this: alcohol is a solvent for vinylchloride, but I don't know if it is for polyvinylchloride too. Since isopropylalcohol (2-propanol) is not that different from alcohol (ethanol), I wouldn't risk it. Hopefully someone with a tad of extra knowledge can enlighten us on this a bit further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back