Classifying versions of the RS1: Your Guide (Work in Progress)
Apr 16, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
White driver, white mesh. Serial number 6xx or 8xx depending which way you read it.

Definitely an RS1 Classic B.

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 261
^^^Classic B checking in:
serial#1173
round gimbal cutout
white drivers and mesh

I am actually liking bowls with these and they maybe the same drivers as the first generation buttonless as most members prefer bowls. I do swap out to flats at times when I need the extra bass boost but I do find that when using flats with these the upper mid bass gets a bit muddy when listening to fast musical transitions. No complaints on the treble for me as I use a tube amp which seems to control the highs.

This thread should also turn into some sort of registry, with over 7000+ serialed numbered RS1's and how ever many unmarked ones, that is a pretty big following.

Keep up the great work!

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 261
Here is a picture of mine, they came in white cardboard box and have a S/N 2314.

RS1.jpg

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #20 of 261
Thanks so much Mercuttio!!

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #21 of 261
I applaud your efforts Mercuttio, excellent job. I had no idea that the RS1i uses round rods now. And with all these variations in sound I would really like to get myself a pair of Vintage S/A/B RS1.
frown.gif

My pair is #2668. White cardboard box, white driver, white mesh.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #22 of 261
Great idea for a thread, all these RS1 identification threads have greatly helped me out.

I think mine is a Classic A:

- No serial number
- Circular cut-out
- Black headband
- Square rods with rubber ends
- The pads were glued/stuck to the cups when I got them

The box I can't say as they didn't arrive in their original packaging. I doubt they originally came in a wooden box though, as no one in their right mind would throw that away (they were ex-display in a shop).

The drivers I'm not so sure about. Under a certain light they have a pinkish reflection (especially in the centre circle), but whether this is a lighting thing and all RS1s are like this I don't know. They're definitely not pink like Mercuttio's though.

I'll try and get some photos later that you're free to use in the original post if you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #23 of 261
I've posted some photo's for you Mercuttio to help decide my version. As you can hopefully see - Black headband, square rods with plastic ends, circular cutout, text going 3/4 way round the cups, silver L/R, white drivers/mesh, no serial number. BTW Rhinosaur, I was watching the same pair on Ebay that you won - you got a good price on those.

Nick

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've posted some photo's for you Mercuttio to help decide my version. As you can hopefully see - Black headband, square rods with plastic ends, circular cutout, text going 3/4 way round the cups, silver L/R, white drivers/mesh, no serial number. BTW Rhinosaur, I was watching the same pair on Ebay that you won - you got a good price on those.

Nick

Hey there. Yeah I was very pleased with the price I got, I think I got lucky (a similar pair from the same seller went for £100 more just a week or two before). You have a great looking pair of RS1s by the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #25 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nick

RS1 Classic A, due to the circular cutouts and the lack of a serial number.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #26 of 261
I guess my rs1 was caught somewhere in the middle of a switch - the left driver looks greenish in colour and the right one is pinkish. You are going to have to come up with another category for mine!

I always felt that when I had them on my head I could hear more clearly with my right ear! really? no... not really. They sound great to me.

SN: 2844

Bought them used - wasn't aware of the left driver being changed on them.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #27 of 261
Here's a pic I just took - I'm not that great with the wife's camera but I think you can see it... or is it in my head...

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #29 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by poiuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a pic I just took - I'm not that great with the wife's camera but I think you can see it... or is it in my head...

Hmm, not wildly different from most RS1 Classic B though. I would say it's that, everything seems to point to it.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #30 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1 Classic A, due to the circular cutouts and the lack of a serial number.

Great, thanks for that- love this site, keep up the good work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back