Classical
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

QbertEnhanced

New Head-Fier
Can someone suggest some music for me to pop my classical cherry? 
biggrin.gif

For ages i feel I've been disregarding it, but its time to make an effort to like it, or failing that at least know WHY i don't like it. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 111
The Nutcracker by Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky is a good soung i would recommend. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 111
Never had a eureka moment myself but know of a few folks that have.
My brother at school was introduced to Beethoven's 7th symphony and Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Similarly a young guy at Univ with Beethoven's 5th symphony. All rhythmically exciting pieces (though the Rite of Spring may take a few more listens to be appreciated). The old man in his late thirties had his moment with Tchaikovsky's Violin concerto.
Had a few female friends who were attracted by some popular works by Faure and Vaughan Williams; a bit more gentle and lyrical. And of course Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto is good value for the Romantic.

Whatever you get you may need to give it time and lots of listens before you can expect to like it. Maybe even do some background reading about the piece and/or composer say on Wikipedia.

So looking at what I've just written, if you're a young guy, a good suggestion would prolly be the CD of Beethoven's 5th and 7th symphonies played by the VPO conducted by Carlos Kleiber.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 111
Classical's a huge category. What do you listen to now? it would be easier to find something at least somewhat akin (or at least not completely alien) to start out with.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 111
It's easiest to start out with more familiar works by the Russians, or basic stuff like Pachabel's Canon or Eine Kleine Nachtmusic. It really doesn't matter where you start. It's a journey and there is a lot to hear.

I introduced myself to different types of music by spending 4 to 6 months actively investigating a particular type of music. Then I moved on to somethingotally differemt... Latin, country, classical, jazz, opera, pop vocals, blues, r&b, soul, rock n roll, popular, easy listening... Everything had great stuff if I dug a bit and pumped knowledgeable people for tips and leads.

Just start somewhere and branch out. If you want a specific recommendation, try the Living Stereo Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition by Reiner. The Kleiber Beethoven 5 and7 is another good choice. But it really doesn't matter. There's plenty of good places to start. (Although Mahler wouldn't be in my top ten beginning classical list).

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 111
Classical music has many layers. To me it is like learning how to drink Whiskey. It offers a lot of different tastes and only by reading a lot of background information and tasting different aromas you will learn how to appreciate and feel the music. There is no quick step solution to open up the door to classical music it takes time and some dedication.

Each composer has his own life story and the music is a fruit of that life and time and circumstances. Add those things into the music and a whole new world will open up for you. I think I understand why a lot of people want to learn how to listen to classical. Maybe for most people the reason is that (some) contemporary music today is shallow and has only emptiness to offer. So dive into books and Cd's and you might find the music of your life there. As dziendobry says you could start with Mahler. Once you get into his life and music you will have music which will continue to reveal new layers throughout the rest of your lifetime.... and that's is just one composer with only 9½ symphonies...

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 111
The sturm und drang of Mahler would have sent me running for the hills when I was first investigating classical music. The architecture of the music isn't immediately apparent and it can sound like nothing more than alternating waves of loud and quiet.

I think most people are attracted to classical music by the familiar melodies and colorful instrumentation. That's why the Russians would be my choice to introduce someone... Rimsky Korsakov's Schehehrezade, Mussorgsky Bald Mountain or Pictures, Tchaikovsky's Pathetique or ballet scores.... All of these are great on ramps. Mozart, Haydn, and Medelssohn would be good if someone is leaning more towards the pretty side, rather than the dramatic side. Seeing a good Verdi opera, like Traviata would do the trick too.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 111
I think that if someone likes a big sound, then Beethoven symphonies, the odd numbered ones, are a good place to start.  They have great melodic structures, huge dynamics, and aren't too challenging wrt harmony or rhythm.  If you like austere, complex music, then go straight to Bach's keyboard music. YOu can get lost in something like the Well-Tempered Clavier or the Goldberg Variations.

I have a big soft spot for Brahms, especially his chamber music, but I don't think he's place to start.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 111

I currently listen to hip hop, punk, and some country. Wu-Tang, NaS, Weezer, Wilco, Arcade Fire, Dylan, Beatles, Drive-By Truckers, Big Boi, and Raekwon, to only name a few, can all be found in rotation at any time of the day. 

I took the initiative and ordered Benjamin Zander's rendition (is that the appropriate term or will I castrated by the Classical music world? 
biggrin.gif
) of Mahler's 4th Symphony. It was like 4 bucks off Amazon, so I figured why not.

Any personal recommendations for me based on what I currently listen to?

Quote:
Classical's a huge category. What do you listen to now? it would be easier to find something at least somewhat akin (or at least not completely alien) to start out with.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 111
If you find that Mahler is a bit boring, try the suggestions I made above. I know a lot about music, but I still find Mahler to be rough going sometimes.

Two quick suggestions for new classical listeners...

Give the music a chance. Read the liner notes. Google up info on the work and composer. Listen carefully. It isn't background music.

Then if you've done all that and still don't like it, don't pretend to like it because other people say it's good. Move on to something different. Classical music has a huge range. You'll find something you like.

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 111

Quote:
I currently listen to hip hop, punk, and some country. Wu-Tang, NaS, Weezer, Wilco, Arcade Fire, Dylan, Beatles, Drive-By Truckers, Big Boi, and Raekwon, to only name a few, can all be found in rotation at any time of the day. 

I took the initiative and ordered Benjamin Zander's rendition (is that the appropriate term or will I castrated by the Classical music world? 
biggrin.gif
) of Mahler's 4th Symphony. It was like 4 bucks off Amazon, so I figured why not.

Any personal recommendations for me based on what I currently listen to?

Well, from what I know of stuff on that list, you might be prime for the Romantics as your non-hiphop listening is fairly melody driven. Definitely follow up on the Russians BigShot suggested, but you might like Schubert, try the chamber music, like "Death and the Maiden". And, just because I've been listening to him lately, try Jean Sibelius' Fourth Symphony. If you're at all inclined to 20th century stuff, I think you might like Steve Reich's "The Four Sections".

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 111
Requiem For A Dream - Clint Mansell

Epicon - Globus

I can illegally send it to you if you like 
biggrin.gif
 Just Pm me on this and other illegal activties like throwing eggs at old ladies, stealing the mail truck, flipping out the flight attendents, climbing on top of peoples houses, egging peoples house, or blocking off streets all capable feats I have under my belt. 

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back