Classical Phones
Nov 23, 2006 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nelamvr6

Headphoneus Supremus
I was making a needle drop of a really great (but a little noisy) RCA Victor Red Seal recording of Mahler's 1st Symphony. I was using my Alessandro MS-1's to monitor.

But then all of a sudden it occurred to me that perhaps I had a better tool available. I switched to my HD-650's, and the difference was simply astounding!

The MS-1's are certainly not bad cans, in fact I was surprised at how well they did with classical music. And I'm not claiming that I compared the HD-650's to all available models.

But the HD-650's simply blew the MS-1's away, the level of detail increased immeasurably. The treble registers smoothed out considerably. The bass became tauter. The entire presentation immediately improved. The MS-1's are not as forward as some of the Grado line, but they are still a lot more forward that the HD-650's.

I remembered why I bought these cans in the first place. I got them specifically because my preference for Grado's was holding me back from truly enjoying my ever growing collection of classical music.

If you listen to classical music I recommend that you at least give the HD-650's a try. For my money they are going to be hard to beat.

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...But the HD-650's simply blew the MS-1's away, the level of detail increased immeasurably... For my money they are going to be hard to beat.

I don't know about "blowing them away" but the HD 650 does of course cost 3X. I've never heard the MS1.

I'd like to throw in the DT-880 as being great for classical, atleast they are for me. I do consider my HD 650 king among my humble collection.

At one time I desired the MS2 but that feeling has crumbled.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about "blowing them away" but the HD 650 does of course cost 3X. I've never heard the MS1.

I'd like to throw in the DT-880 as being great for classical, atleast they are for me. I do consider my HD 650 king among my humble collection.

At one time I desired the MS2 but that feeling has crumbled.

Well bear in mind that I did say that the MS-1's were surprisingly good, or at least better than I expected.

And I do realize that the HD-650's are a lot more expensive. Nevertheless they really are a LOT better, at least as far as classical music is concerned.

Of course, having said that, I will still travel with the MS-1's, the HD-650's are too large and too expensive to take with me on the road. And I don't think I'll feel all that deprived, the MS-1's really are quite good for their price and size.

I've not had a chance to audition the DT-880's as of yet. They are on my short list. But since I already have a pair of HD-650's I don't feel any real urgency to run out and try them.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 23
I never viewed the ms1s as a classical can so thats an obvious there than the sennheiser whatever is better. my hd590s are alot better for classical than my ms1s. also its sort of not nice to compare it since its not in the same price range but hey its an audiophile phone so whatever

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never viewed the ms1s as a classical can so thats an obvious there than the sennheiser whatever is better. my hd590s are alot better for classical than my ms1s. also its sort of not nice to compare it since its not in the same price range but hey its an audiophile phone so whatever

Not nice? Well, maybe. But again, I did say that the MS-1's were surprisingly good.

And my intention was not to disparage the MS-1's but to point out how good the HD-650's are.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 23
The HD650s rule for classical. Their excellent treble extension portrays string overtones very nicely. Now, I'm very spoiled. I'll take true treble extension over excessive lower treble energy any day, now.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 23
Right now i'm trying a K701 for my classical.... and it sucks... i keep grabbing fro the HD650 and then remind myself that i have to keep listening until i learn to appreciate the K701 (the lifeless notes, no bass, no authority can).

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now i'm trying a K701 for my classical.... and it sucks... i keep grabbing fro the HD650 and then remind myself that i have to keep listening until i learn to appreciate the K701 (the lifeless notes, no bass, no authority can).

You do? Why?

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I'm very spoiled.

Try listening to classical on the K1000. Then we can talk about spoiled.
k1000smile.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 23
Hmm. It will take a while before I have enough money to reach that level of spoiledness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try listening to classical on the K1000. Then we can talk about spoiled.
k1000smile.gif

Try listening to classical on some good speakers. Then we can talk about spoiled.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 23
Try going to a real symphony hall, then we can talk about really, really being spoiled.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try going to a real symphony hall, then we can talk about really, really being spoiled.
biggrin.gif

Yeah! Now were talking!

[size=xx-small]Of course, your sig says Georgia, that threat kinda rings hollow.
wink.gif
[/size]

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 23
What do you mean? The Atlanta symphony hall is just a short drive away. And then when I'm done, I can enjoy some quiet time in the High Museum of Art, which is currently hosting a significant amount of work from the Louvre. Should be nice.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back