Classical music: which are the most natural
Sep 22, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #46 of 50
I hate when that happens. Your wallet is telling you to do one thing, and the evil Head-Fi is telling you to do another.

Time to get a second job, eh?

Sep 22, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #47 of 50
hey, i just quit the first
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #48 of 50
I listen primarily to classical and jazz and own all the headphones listed. For me it's a fairly close call between the CD3K and K1K, but I gave the nod to the AKGs. If convenience and/or comfort were a factor, I would have voted for the CD3K.

Sep 28, 2003 at 9:09 AM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Classical tends to be more complex music that requires a larger soundstage and better imaging than the HD600 can provide. It gets congested when compared to the CD3K.

Not my experience at all. Complete opposite, actually. Although it is the impression most people will have if they don't have a good amp to drive the HD 600.

I've heard all of the setups in the poll extensively, and personally owned all but the CD3000 (and still own the rest except for the K1000). In my opinion the HD 600 with Cardas cable is the top, followed not far behind by the K1000. However, the K1000 are missing a bit of warmth that a real classical performance has, IMO, and don't have the bass response necessary for some types of classical, so I give the nod to the HD 600.

Nothing can beat the ER-4S in terms of sheer resolution and detail, nor in bass extension, and they're rather stunning in their own way, but I tend to listen to my HD 600 more due to the better soundstage and ease of use
wink.gif

As you can probably tell, I didn't like the CD3000 much at all for classical.

Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
I've found the HD600 to be a very poor choice for classical music as it is far too polite and without the cable has a veiled treble and deep and loose bass. With the Cardas cable, the bass tightens and the treble is a little clearer, but the politeness remains -- dynamics are still poor and little of the heart of the music comes through. It's a good headphone for classical music if you're not too big a fan of it and simply listen to it as background music.

As someone who is a big fan of classical music, I take exception to that last part
wink.gif
With a Max or a BlockHead, the HD 600 are everything you say they aren't
biggrin.gif

If you can't afford a great amp and upgrade cables for the HD 600, or an amp for the K1000, I'd recommend the DT880 or Etys.

Sep 28, 2003 at 9:37 AM Post #50 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Nothing can beat the ER-4S in terms of sheer resolution and detail, nor in bass extension, and they're rather stunning in their own way

i've only tried the P version (i'll make it S soon), but it was wonderful to listen to classical music with them and the EMP. i've been in my cousin's house and went through about 60 CD's of his, to pick my favourite and bring it home to listen. though instruments wasn't reproduced as i hope they will with the S..
the intimacy... the bliss!
they are very sensitive to changes in the music, so this and their presentation type pass on emotions very well. i got excited with lots of things, my head felt like a spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back