Classical Music Lovers: What is your favorite dynamic for strings, whether solos or quartets?
Oct 30, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
GR07 is great for realism in portraying string buts IMO lacks just a bit of detail at the high end for example the sharpness or grit of the bow sliding against the strings. Or the piercing clarity of a high note. The FX700 is better with these details to my ears because of the clearer treble but the bass is a bit too pronounced without a looser fit.

I respectfully disagree. I can clearly hear the finest details on my GR07.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #17 of 27
The se425's the best IMO compared to W4 and TF10. W4 does a decent job (sound separation) and the TF10 sounds very mediocre. I listen to mostly violin pieces (solo/accompanied). With the se425, the violins sounds very natural, realistic, full and sweet. I'm getting the Sennheiser IE7 in a few weeks so we'll see about that.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #19 of 27
have the ety4p with a 'p to s" adapter, the UM3X and pair of just-returned Westone 4.  Listen to classical, big symphonics, opera and string quartets  Also jazz and jazz vocals.  OK, all that said, I too am an ety devotee and found the W4 so close in sound to the UM3X, I returned them.  UM3X is fantastic for the vocals and the opera while the Ety4 in "S" configuration I like for the larger symphonics.  Ety4p will work with any and all of the above.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #20 of 27
I respectfully disagree. I can clearly hear the finest details on my GR07.

I don't doubt that actually. Out of curiosity, did your GR07s display any sibilance out of the box? Mine never did. Your statement also intrigues me because you seem to have some detailed oriented iems in your collection. When I compare the GR07s to the CK10 the nuances in string music just aren't apparent in the former.

I don't want to jump to conclusions about anything, but I'm starting to think that my particular pair are just a bit lighter in the upper treble than some others. I will probably try to a/b with another pair at some point.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #21 of 27
I liked the GR07 but sold because they wouldn't find a rotation for me. 2 reasons were, the treble wasn't as refined and they didn't get that last little bit of res compared to my much more expensive model. It's subtle and probably a non issue for anything mp3. I also found that the E-q5 also lacked that last little bit of subtlety but again we're splitting hairs and I say that while also thinking these are really good deals at under $200. I also wouldn't sonically categorize the E-q5 as ba. Not at all dry with some nice color and VG on strings with the right tips.

I'm sure it's no surprise to some
bigsmile_face.gif
that I kept my GR10s and I think they're great on strings once fully run in. Takes a while for all the texture, air and warmth to show up but once there, they just ring true in a dynamic kind of way. Nothing's perfect, including these, but I always miss them regardless of what else I've tried. While being easy to drive, they also change character a lot by file and source. Kinda friendly revealing unless your source is not that good or they haven't been run in enough. They will definitely reveal a bright source as easily as sound lush. Their balance is very slightly on the warm side without mucking the mids. That said, I also believe in diminishing returns and that any natural sounding, revealing $400 IEM may be overkill for the DAPs and files used by most.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
Both the Sony EX600 and EX1000 are fantastic for all kinds of classical and both have pretty amazing timbre. If you listen to mostly classical just get the EX600, you won't regret it.

Agreed.

Quote:
No, I'm not confusing natural sound with recessed mids. I auditioned James EX600 for many days and there is an obvious dip in the highs which make them sound hollow or tinny. Bass has a nice body, but it lacks texture for strings.

I think the EX600 is a good all-rounder, but it is easily outperformed by the HJE900 for timbre - and timbre only!

That's not how I hear them - and we're talking about the exact same sample. Odd.

Quote:
The FX700 is better ... but the bass is a bit too pronounced without a looser fit.

Agreed.

Quote:
I kept my GR10s and I think they're great on strings once fully run in. Takes a while for all the texture, air and warmth to show up but once there, they just ring true in a dynamic kind of way.

Imo the GR10 are good with strings, but not great. My favorites are EX1000/600 and FX700.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #23 of 27
I love the HD-800 for all classical.

Though it is expensive. If you can turn up an AKG K-501 for $100-$150, the quality is ridiculously good for the money. If I didn't have the HD-800, I could live happily with the K-501.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
I love the HD-800 for all classical.
Though it is expensive. If you can turn up an AKG K-501 for $100-$150, the quality is ridiculously good for the money. If I didn't have the HD-800, I could live happily with the K-501.

I got a chance to try the AKG K-501 at last months ALO Audio meet and I was supper impressed, I liked it a lot more than the AKG K701/702/Q701.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:

Agreed.

That's not how I hear them - and we're talking about the exact same sample. Odd.

Agreed.

Imo the GR10 are good with strings, but not great. My favorites are EX1000/600 and FX700.

Really? I think the GR10's do an amazing job with strings IMHO.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #27 of 27
Well, there is a new challenger in town. One that equals the timbre of the FX700 with less bass and more forward mids>>>> The JVC FXT90. Listening to my favorite jazz album with strings, Tom Harrell's "Paradise," and this is nearly on par with how great I remember the FX700 sounding (but better to me with the more forward mids). Very nice full robust sound with the violins and cellos. These IEMs also does great on electric and acoustic guitars. Now, I've only have like about five or six hours playing time on them and I'm being blown away. And those of you who know me well in head-fi know I'm a staunch believer in burn-in. Well, not much burn-in on this JVC yet, and I'm already like wild! Yes, these are the dual driver carbon dynamic drivers (incased in some type of metal brackets but I forget what metal they are using). At about $130 shipped, these are equalling the GR07 and 7550 for me in enjoyment, but surpassing both handily within the strings section. Also, some of the best IEMs I've ever heard in reproducing brass instruments. The GR07, however, still does it for me with drums, but these are close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back