Classical music, and helping you realize your untapped love for it.
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Fantastic little presentation...

http://www.wimp.com/classicalmusic/

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for posting that, it was interesting. I've struggled for a long time trying to develop a love of classical music - having everything going for me: I played it growing up, I heard it growing up, I've seen live orchestras a number of times, and still I have almost zero interest in sitting down and appreciating classical orchestral music. Sadly, that video didn't magically cure me
wink.gif
  Maybe I'm a hopeless case...

This is another very interesting TED talk about music/sound appreciation:
http://www.ted.com/talks/evelyn_glennie_shows_how_to_listen.html

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 22
Watched and enjoyed. Thanks. Now I want to find more speaking videos featuring Mr. Zander (my son's name BTW..lol).

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 22
This is a very interesting presentation.  I just recently picked up a recording of him doing Mahler's 4th Symphony.  I'm just beginning to get into classical.  But what i've been listening to I've been enjoying immensely. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 22
Brillliant guy, I've always wondered why our brain finds the progression of chords pleasing, but I was never able to get a concrete answer. But I guess it stems from humans liking harmony that occurs in nature and our brain relates with music in that way. I'm sure there are mathematical reasons why harmonies make sense, but I didn't do so good in waves during physics

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Thanks for posting that, it was interesting. I've struggled for a long time trying to develop a love of classical music - having everything going for me: I played it growing up, I heard it growing up, I've seen live orchestras a number of times, and still I have almost zero interest in sitting down and appreciating classical orchestral music. Sadly, that video didn't magically cure me
wink.gif
  Maybe I'm a hopeless case...

This is another very interesting TED talk about music/sound appreciation:
http://www.ted.com/talks/evelyn_glennie_shows_how_to_listen.html

Okay, you're a hopeless case
smile.gif

Mayebe one day a piece of music, or a particular composer, will just connect. Probably something that can't be forced.
One thought provoking thing about the Evelyn presentation is that it's a deaf person showing us how to listen to music. Requires a bit more concentration, but still worth it,

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 22
Go to google and make a list of classical composers and their most well known works. Then go to Amazon or the iTunes store and listen to samples to see if it's interesting to you. Boil it down and look at amazon reviews to figure out a good performance.

It's a little bit of work, but it's worth it. The things you'll learn doing your research will enhance your appreciation of the music.

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 22
I stay loyal to liszt and rachmaninoff.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 22
Thanks for the link! :)

>>>I've always wanted to begin listening to classical music, does anybody have any suggestions for good cd's?

Pandora has a couple of pretty good classical stations -- you might want to try listening to them (especially the symphonic one) and seeing if anything really strikes you. Personally, though, I'm a big fan of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" (orchestrated by Ravel), Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and just about any thorough collection of Baroque music. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 22
Romantic all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back