Classical cans under $100
Nov 6, 2009 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sovelin

100+ Head-Fier
I absolutely love my DT770, but they just don't quite cut it for classical music. I'm looking for a set of cans that I will be using exclusively for classical music. I need to keep it under $100, and I prefer closed (for library use), but I'm assuming open cans are gonna have a much wider soundstage. I'm looking at the ATH AD700 ($85 w/ free shipping from Amazon), and I've heard they are great for gaming as well. Is there anything else under $100 that will do for classical, or is this my best bet?

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 20
AD700 is probably your best bet. I have them, and I tell ya, sir...they're amazing when it comes to classical. They are the reason I got into classical at all. Beethoven's 5th in A Minor is so amazing.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 20
I probably should have mentioned this earlier. I do not like AKG's sound signature. I disliked the k240 a lot, but then again I was using it for hip-hop, techno, and R&B, not classical.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiisus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 is probably your best bet. I have them, and I tell ya, sir...they're amazing when it comes to classical. They are the reason I got into classical at all. Beethoven's 5th in A Minor is so amazing.

But the AD700 is open
tongue_smile.gif

The OP might want to look at the Denon D1001.

By the way, Beethoven's 5th is in C minor, not A
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 20
True the AD700 is open, but if an open headphone is going to sound much better than a closed one for classical in the sub-$100 range, then that's the way to go for me. My only issue with the Denon is that, although closed, they leak quite a bit of sound. They have a wide soundstage for closed phones, but from what I've read the AD700 has them beat, and at a lower cost as well. Though the D2000 was very impressive...

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 20
Sub-$100 (or, really, sub-about-$300) closed cans are just a sticky proposition. I honestly don't know of any I would recommend, regardless of genre. My advice would be the AD700 and turning the volume way down in the library; often, if you're listening very quietly, people won't notice the leakage anyway.

Incidentally, what kinds of classical do you like? Usually "classical" is used to mean big Romantic symphonies played in the safe, old-fashioned way. If you're into less mainstream classical, sometimes different signatures can be interesting (I'm quite a fan of Baroque on Grados, but I'm one of the few of that opinion).

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice would be the AD700 and turning the volume way down in the library; often, if you're listening very quietly, people won't notice the leakage anyway.

IMO, you're probably listening too loud if you bother people more than a couple feet away from you, even with the most open headphones. Especially if your listening for extended periods, you're listening loud enough to start damaging your hearing.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incidentally, what kinds of classical do you like? Usually "classical" is used to mean big Romantic symphonies played in the safe, old-fashioned way. If you're into less mainstream classical, sometimes different signatures can be interesting (I'm quite a fan of Baroque on Grados, but I'm one of the few of that opinion).

Bach, vivaldi, mozart, a couple others. I did like A Baroque Festival (incidentally, this is what re-sparked my interest in classical). I guess I'm looking for something good for classical music overall.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the AD700 is open
tongue_smile.gif

The OP might want to look at the Denon D1001.

By the way, Beethoven's 5th is in C minor, not A
biggrin.gif

Oh balls, you're right. See? Still new to the classical genre.

Anyways. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the AD700 for library use. I totally missed that in the first post. If it's possible to get them for home use in the future, I would go for it.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 20
Disregard the library folk and get the AD700 anyway. They are fantastic.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can probably use them without people hearing them as long as you keep them turned down. Since there isn't much noise in the library you don't have to turn it up much in the first place, so it would probably work out. I'd be more worried about the AD700s making you look like a goof ball though, they don't look too good on anyone's head.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 20
The AD700 sound like a great pair of headphones but, I wouldn't recommend ANY open phones if your primary listening environment is going to be a library. Get the AD700 for use at home, but find something closed (or an IEM) for the library (IMHO). BTW, the Denon 1001 leak some sound in, but not out.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 20
The AD700 will work wonderfully for classical, and as other have mentioned just keep the volume down in the library.

You can also look at the Shure 440, they are closed and are very good for isolation and keeping sound in. They won't have the sound stage of thew AD700 but are not bad for a closed phone. They also are a bit more portable.

The AD700 are quite large and will definitely make you stand out. I took mine to work a couple of times, but only a couple LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back