Classic Rock fans: between Carl Palmer & Neil Peart; who do you think is the best?
May 25, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 26
Sure sovkiller, yes, it's unfair to compare them. Peart is a rock drummer, and extremely good at what he does. Hell, he's amazing. But you know, all the drummers I mentioned could easily do his gig, but the same couldn't be said the other way around.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRuM
Sure sovkiller, yes, it's unfair to compare them. Peart is a rock drummer, and extremely good at what he does. Hell, he's amazing. But you know, all the drummers I mentioned could easily do his gig, but the same couldn't be said the other way around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well my brother got today the Peart video, the one that is about 3 hours long, I will tell you as soon as I take a look at it. I have not seen any of the others doing anything exceptinal neither BTW, not even Cobham. They play very clean, nice, in a very professional way, and with a lot of swing, IMO this is the major stregth of those drummers, but nothing complex, I'm not saying that they are not able to do it, but just that I have not seen it yet, I have a few of the Cobham albums, and the Tony Williams Lifetime, the double US edition, and a few videos from Steps Ahead, Cobham, Mat Metheny, etc...and since today, the best performance, that I have seen so far, is one by Brudford in King Crimson, and the ones I have seem from Peart....if you got the chance take a look at this new Peart video, he evne use some very weird stuff, special shoes, etc....I will tell you in details as soon as I take a look at it, I'm waiting for it right now.....there is another from Mike Portnoy, very good also, is a shame that those from the good jazz drummers are not so frequent in the market, a real shame, some of them are really amazing....

May 26, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 26
Are you saying you haven't seen anything complex from steve smith, steve gadd, dave weckl, vinnie colaiuta, only clean playing? Sorry, but, lol.

May 26, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Are you saying you haven't seen anything complex from steve smith, steve gadd, dave weckl, vinnie colaiuta, only clean playing? Sorry, but, lol.

Well in fact I have not seen anything from Vinnie or Dave (so I can't tell you about those two, nor good, nor bad, absolutelly nothing) From the other two, sorry, but nope, I have not seen anything yet that really wow!!!! me. In the Steps Ahead video, I have, other that the electronic stuff he played, , with a peculiar sound, the rest is pretty conventional, and pretty simple, IMO Mainieri and Brecker runned that show.....same as the Cobham one, to the point that I pretty liked better the one from Jack DeJonhette (what a style, man, I like this guy) with Metheny, Holland and Hancock....

May 27, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #20 of 26
Just for the record, steve gadd is one of the most recorded drummers in history. He is famous as a great drum soloist, and a great groove player. He created some of the most famous beats. He played with everyone from chick corea to ricky lee jones. I suggest you get chick corea's '3 quartets ' as just ONE example of his playing at it's best. Steely Dan 'aja', where he came in and SIGHT READ the whole piece including solo, in 4/4 and 5/4. Steps ahead 'smoking in the pit'. And many more. Check out steve smith with 'journey' and 'vital information'. Check out Dennis Chambers with john scofield. Check out Dave Weckl on everything he does, from all his solo albums to people like Michel Camilo. Check out Virgil Donati. Just please, don't insult me by saying neil peart is better than these guys or even has the same technique, because he's not and he doesn't.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Just for the record, Steve Gadd is one of the most recorded drummers in history. He is famous as a great drum soloist, and a great groove player. He created some of the most famous beats. He played with everyone from chick corea to ricky lee jones. I suggest you get chick corea's '3 quartets ' as just ONE example of his playing at it's best. Steely Dan 'aja', where he came in and SIGHT READ the whole piece including solo, in 4/4 and 5/4. Steps ahead 'smoking in the pit'. And many more. Check out steve smith with 'journey' and 'vital information'. Check out Dennis Chambers with john scofield. Check out Dave Weckl on everything he does, from all his solo albums to people like Michel Camilo. Check out Virgil Donati. Just please, don't insult me by saying neil peart is better than these guys or even has the same technique, because he's not and he doesn't.
biggrin.gif

Sorry but do not misunderstood me, what I was saying is that, me personally, have not seen anything from those guys that could be considered really impressive (IMO), but it could be very possible (and I do believe) that those guys have a lot of good things. I'm a rocker, not a jazz follower, I have some jazz stuff (return to forever, dimeola, some corea, mike stern, metheny, ponty, allan holdsworth etc...) but not to the point of having an strong opinion on any of those nice players, in fact I have not seen too much in jazz anyway (just a few videos, that I own and like)....
About Journey, nope, IMO, I do not consider the drum in Journey as complex as in the Rush albums, sorry, I don't even like Journey, IMO too predictable, and simple....

BTW today I was looking at the Neil Peart video and he mention many times Steve Gadd as one of his main influences, even in the last Rush recording, he used some of Steve's favorites beats (with some variations to make them even more complex), so I'm assuming that it was not for funny. But you have to see that video, specially a jazz long piece, about 15 minutes long, he had modified his entire style, now he is even playing using the traditional grip, and had modified also the drum set....one thing is sure, he is good at that, and now he is even better that in the early Rush albums. Also he admit that he is still learning from others (specially some jazz drummers) and still working in remodeling his entire style, his career is not complete yet, let's see about the future stuff from him....

May 27, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 26
I think it is tough to really say who is better and who isn't. It is really about style. Neil Peart sounds like a drum machine, except one of the groovinest drum machines ever created.

Steve Smith, he is incredible too. He seems a lot more "studio" in his execution though, somewhat lacking in heart.

As for complex, what the hell is Danny Carey playing half the time?

To say one is objectively better than the other is to completely ignore the art and subjectivity of music. I say enjoy them all.

If you want facts, just say "Drummer X" is better than Meg from the White Stripes and be done with it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
to the point that I pretty liked better the one from Jack DeJonhette (what a style, man, I like this guy) with Metheny, Holland and Hancock....

My favorite drummer on my favorite concert DVD.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 26
Sometimes the more complex stuff is not the best one, he said in this same video, that the drummers, have several principles, among them KISS (Keep It Simply Stupid) sometimes a simple stuff is so nice, that I hard to imagine anyone doing it better. Sometimes you also can complicate a little bit, and get good results, is a matter of style also.
I know that Peart try always not to do the same twice in a song, he had stated that many times, he is always introducing little variations here or there, not even in the body of the song, he try to not interfere while Geddy is singing, and while the singing part is over, then he try to do his more complicated stuff, others play all the time complicated, (Phil Collins, just to mention one, in the early Genesis, and Stuart Copeland, from Police, all the time uses strange rhythms, and timing) As said before is a matterof style and preference of the musician, at least I like the style of non repeating things, looks more complicated, and give you the idea of more creativity on the musician (maybe I'm wrong, but I like this kind of performance)

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #26 of 26
My vote: Neil Peart
Wow, this thread is 20 years old...and The Professor has left us, along with so many others.

But even with a 20 year rearview mirror, NP was the master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back