Classé CDP-10 vs. Marantz SA8001
Feb 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I am ont the hunt for a new source (looking at CD and/or SACD players, available local to me only). I have been testing a Marantz SA7001KI (aka SA8001) for the past week and a half and really like it. I enjoy the slight warmth and full-bodied Marantz house sound. I also had the chance to try an 840C (did not like) and a Raysonic CD128 (too expensive and I found it a little agressive).

I was about to purchase the Marantz when I came across one more option from a hi-fi distributor near me....a preowned Classé CDP-10. I have always liked their kit, though have primarily had experience with their amps and preamps, not source components.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with, or owned, the Classé CDP-10, and if you could provide some opinions/impressions/comparisons. I am particularly interested in your thoughts about how it would compare to the SA8001.

Cheers
X

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Anyone?
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 10
I've never owned any of their products. But at one time I auditioned one of their home amps. Classé, a Canadian company, is probably just below Mark Levinson. Customer service wise, I would bet that they would have a more personalize service than Marantz.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 10
I had one and it is an awesome player. If you have a working Classe 10 then you need not look further. It's a fine sophisticated player and I regret selling mine . I may even put an ad for a WTB on the forums because that was one of the best players I ever owned. I exchanged mine for a Talk Electronics 3.1b player which is also an excellet player but their was a spark about the CDP-10. My Talk in the end outplayed the classe but it was twice the price. If you have a functioning CDP-10 hold onto it even if you get a new player.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the input.

wuwere - from my understanding, they are now about on par with ML, especially with their larger Omega range. They are indeed Canadian, and were purchased by B&W in 2000 IIRC, as B&W needed an accompanying electronics brand.

mitchb - it seems to be working 100%. It is from a hi-fi dealer, but this is his personal player not the shop's player (he upgraded to the CDP-202). I suppose the only concern I would have is how it stacks up against modern players (like the Marantz) given it's around 6-7 years old now.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 10
I agree but despite current technology the cdp 10 will always be classic worth keeping or buying. Just make sure the lasers stong and your set. I'd ask you if you wanted to sell yours but that would be me telling you not top take my advise so I won't ask.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 10
Well it is not mine....yet
wink.gif
. I was going to pull the trigger on the Marantz when the opportunity arose to try the Classe, which I must admit I am really enjoying. I am doing some A/B against the Marantz; only slight complaint is that the bass sounds a little soft (not as punchy as the SA7001KI). However I think this may be due to the Classe having a lower output as the volume seems a tad lower when I change inputs on my amp without touching the volume control.

Not sure how to check if the laser is strong
redface.gif
. It seems to be reading all my discs fine, including the CD layer of SACD's and numerous CDR's.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 10
^^^

Particularly keen on thoughts/advice/comparisons between the CDP-10 and the Marantz SA8001. Should there be any hesitation regarding the Classé in terms of its age (6-7 years old now)? Are they generaly reliable units?

Cheers
X

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^
Should there be any hesitation regarding the Classé in terms of its age (6-7 years old now)? Are they generaly reliable units?

Cheers
X

I would think your dealer should be able to answer this question if they sell Classé. They should either know or talk to Classe to see if it could still be repaired (parts available, etc.). Everything I've read about Classe customer service has been great. Seems like they should be able to tell you.

As far as a comparison between the SA8001 and the CDP-10, I wish I could help. I'd like to get my hands on a CDP-10 to listen. I've heard the SA8001 and was impressed. However I sold it due to getting a good deal on a Meridian (I've always been a big fan of the 508 series).

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Opted for the Marantz. I discussed it with the importers and, in a nutshell:
- Classé was taken over by B&W and since then have used mainly proprietary/in-house components (tray, laser etc.)
- the CDP-10 was one of (if not the) last players following the old Classé styling and also using outsourced/OEM components
- there are currently spare parts but are on their way to depletion (not produced anymore)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back