CK9 Optimisation Thread
Mar 2, 2008 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

discombobulation

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I just bought a CK9 and was wondering how I could improve the sound quality/fit. I love these earphones for the warm, neutral sound they provide. The bass is there, but recessed and controlled. I like it.

However, the fit is a bit of a problem, with the earphones being a bit uncomfortable for long periods of time. Are there any better buds that I could use, or any simple mods that anyone has done that improve the ck9 in this area?

Secondly, what is the best way to improve the sound from an unamped iPod classic? Is an amp really necessary? Would something like the SendStation be enough to make an improvement in sound quality?

Thanks

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm sorry I cannot comment anything useful, but I own a pair of CK7 and find it somewhat dull compared to my favourites, the EW9. Then I listened to an iCube and everything opened up. I was way much better.

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 6
I have CK7s and and felt that an amp considerably improved them, so it would seem high likely that the CK9s would benefit in the same way. The amp increases the separation and airiness across the spectrum and also thickens the mids and deepens and tightens the bass.

The Shure black foams can be made to fit the CK7s. I just made a new thread about doing that. I find these to be the best foams, they have a coating that stops them from muffling the SQ like other foams do IMO.

Hope this helps.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have CK7s and and felt that an amp considerably improved them, so it would seem high likely that the CK9s would benefit in the same way. The amp increases the separation and airiness across the spectrum and also thickens the mids and deepens and tightens the bass.

The Shure black foams can be made to fit the CK7s. I just made a new thread about doing that. I find these to be the best foams, they have a coating that stops them from muffling the SQ like other foams do IMO.

Hope this helps.

Hmm...the CK7 uses dynamic drivers, while the CK9 has a single balanced armature driver. It has been my experience that armature drivers do not benefit significantly from amping....at least mine doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif
But it doesn't hurt to try.

I'm sorry to hear that you have fit problems....the CK9 is one of the most comfortable earphones I have, and the isolation they provide is fantastic. Have you tried all the provided tips?

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi guys, thanks for all the responses. I'm starting to get a better fit with these earphones, it takes some subtle techniques to obtain the best seal in the "Shure" style position.

I can get excellent fit with the largest buds, with massive amounts of isolation...but the trade-off is the sound becomes distant and lacks the treble clarity/separation and bass punch. Switching between the medium tips and the smallest tips, I'm finding the same difference. If I manage to get a seal with the smallest tips, the sound quality is truly exceptional. Trying tips from the creative aurvana earphones resulted in a much easier fit, but a generally looser command of all the frequencies. I think the CK9 tips are good at bringing out the best in the treble department, but require a good seal to maximise bass quality.

I may have to try and get my hands on some shure foamies or ety foams just to try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back