Cip Zip & FLAC
Nov 24, 2012 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lurk650

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, I'm trying to transfer this single FLAC file to my Zip via Windows Media Player but it just gives me an error. I know Zip can handle only 16 bit according to a Google search thread I found but the person says the 1100kbps song played fine but anything higher bit rate was skipped and mine is 1411kbps, all the replier said was that its probably 24bit but in my case I know mine is 16bit. 

I converted it to WAV and its still 1411kbps and synced perfectly, so IDK what the issue may be with the FLAC?

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 13
That's a pretty common problem with the Clip Zip. Try rockboxing it

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 13
If your FLAC is the same size as a WAV, you're doing something wrong.....

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 13
I was thinking about Rockboxing but from what I've read you CAN'T do a Play All Songs on Shuffle? Maybe I misread

The FLAC is 35mb, the WAV is 57mb. The bit rate for both is 1411kbps and they are 16bit

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I was thinking about Rockboxing but from what I've read you CAN'T do a Play All Songs on Shuffle? Maybe I misread

The FLAC is 35mb, the WAV is 57mb. The bit rate for both is 1411kbps and they are 16bit

You can play all songs on shuffle with Rockbox, as long as you choose to utilize the tag database function.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 13
I don't like the look of Rockbox from what I see on YouTube, the WAV worked perfect so I'll just start converting my once in a while FLAC files to WAV. Thanks for the help!

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 13
I have another question somebody might be able to answer. I took the MicroSD from my GS3 and put it in my Zip and when it was going through the media refresh it got about 50% in 20 secs then it just stopped, I'm guessing due to the MicroSD which I read takes a long time but going with Rockbox would by pass which would be a plus but like I said Rockbox just looks ugly to me. I read too that when you play songs from the MicroSD the play back of the music is faster? Not exactly sure what that means. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 13
You can use Winamp to compress to FLAC level 6 and it'll be small enough to work with the Clip Zip

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I don't like the look of Rockbox

I think most of us are not really bothered about the looks. Functionality over form.
For me, as long as the font is readable (there's plenty to choose from), its alright.  The rest is just a list of songs, whichever UI you choose.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 13
The FLAC is 35mb, the WAV is 57mb. The bit rate for both is 1411kbps and they are 16bit.

File size (in MB) ≈ (bit rate (in kb/s) * song length (in seconds) / (8 (kb/kB) * 1024 (kB/MB))

If your FLAC files are significantly smaller than the WAV files (of the same song), then their respective bit rates are different.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
File size (in MB) ≈ (bit rate (in kb/s) * song length (in seconds) / (8 (kb/kB) * 1024 (kB/MB))
If your FLAC files are significantly smaller than the WAV files (of the same song), then their respective bit rates are different.

Agree.
FLAC bitrate is seldom the same as WAV file, its mostly lesser.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 13
I have Dbpoweramp installed and when I hover over each file thats what it shows :shrug:

I'm gonna give Rockbox a shot tonight, forgot they had themes if I choose to do so.

From what I've read, installing RB will stop the "refreshing media" crap that's present on the stock firmware correct? I've heard with MicroSD its can be a pain with that "refresh media". I just ordered a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 MicroSD off Amazon for $25 so I'll be getting that by Thursday, def need that with the FLAC albums I've been downloading. Which brings me to another question, with RB will it play both songs on the player itself and on the MicroSD together, I haven't tried it yet but on stock firmware but don't you have to choose to play from the SD card and it actually decreases battery life?

EDIT: Installed RB. Still not sold on it. After spending a few hours trying to figure out how to make a playlist I realized I just had to click Database and thats what you meant above lol. I have perfect ID3 tags for all my songs on my computer. What I noticed about RB is that at 0db that is a static noise, I only hear it with IEMs I think (will test again with my headphones though I didn't hear it earlier), also will have to see if I can hear it through my car speakers tomorrow, it is when no music is playing because the track is paused, I don't hear it at full volume (0db) on the stock firmware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back