Cig's TOTL Headphone Comparisons
Mar 19, 2022 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

Ciggavelli

Headphoneus Supremus
Intro

I thought I should finally compare some of my TOTL headphones. I’ll be comparing the Abyss AB 1266 Phi TC, HIfiman Susvara and R10P, Audeze LCD-4 and CRBN, Raal/Requisite SR1a, Focal Utopia. In the future, I will add comparisons with the Shangri-La SR, Stax SR-X9000, ZMF Verite Closed and the ES Labs ESR10 (an almost complete replica of the Sony R10). I’m still waiting on those to arrive, and some have been delayed for an indefinite time (I’m looking at you Stax).

There are some initial disclaimers I should mention. I listen to mostly hip-hop and metal. I occasionally dip into the indie/alternative pool and occasionally pop music (in general). That said, the below comparisons are mainly associated with listening to metal and hip-hop albums. Also, these ratings are not to be used to compare other non-TOTL headphones. A “6” here might be a lot higher if comparing all headphones that exist. I’m only comparing Summit-Fi headphones

Chain

My chain should also be discussed. You can see my signature, but I’m running an Antipodes K50 to Innuos PhoenixUSB to Chord M-Scaler (with DC4 PSU) to Chord DAVE (with DC4 PSU as well) to Woo Audio WA33 Elite with JPS wiring (for traditional headphones) or a Woo Audio 3ES Elite (for e-stats) or a Raal/Requisite HSA1b (for ribbon headphone). In this comparison, I will not separate headphones by type. They will all be compared together, regardless of the technology they use.

Bass

I’m a bit of a basshead, so bass is always the first thing I evaluate in a pair of headphones. Here’s what I think of all the above mentioned headphones. They are ordered from the best to the worst

1. TC: The best bass I’ve ever heard in a pair of headphones - 10/10

2. Focal Utopia
: This might be controversial, but I really like the bass on the Utopias. You can listen to hip-hop with these and be happy. Good impact, quantity and quality – 8/10

3. LCD-4
: Good bass impact and texture, but lacking the sub-bass extension of the TCs – 7/10

4. Susvara
: Very high quality bass, with good impact and extension. If you pull the headphones outside of your ears (like the TCs), you can get very similar bass as the TCs. Obviously, doing that is not practical, but it shows the Susvaras are very capable in the bass arena. However, I wish they had more bass quantity when wearing them normally. 7/10

5. CRBN
: Actually pretty good bass impact and it has adequate sub-bass. I listened to some hip-hop out of them and I wasn’t totally disappointed, like I was with the SR1as. I want more quantity, so 7/10

6. R10-P
: These are closed backs and their bass is adequate, but I want more quantity and quality. These are my go to headphones when at work, due to the fact they have the great Bluetooth dac/amp (which sounds very good) and can easily be connected to my phone with no wires. Bass impact is there, but of course I want more - 6/10

7. SR1a
: I love these headphones, but the bass is a problem. You can EQ them to get more impact, but the sub-bass is almost non-existent. You cannot listen to bass heavy music like hip-hop with the SR1as. So, it’s going to get a 3/10 (sorry Raal/Requisite)

Soundstage

Soundstage is the next thing I look at when evaluating headphones. I love to have an expansive soundstage where I can see the various instruments in different parts of the field of view (FOV). I’m including layering and imaging here as well.

1. SR1a: These have the best soundstage I’ve ever heard. It’s so expansive! There’s nothing like it. It’s wide and very easy to see different parts of the song. The layering is also very nice. I honestly have no complaints with the SR1a soundstage. 10/10

2. TC
: Also a great soundstage. Good L/R and front/back. You can clearly see individual instruments in various parts of your FOV. Sometimes you hear voices or instruments outside of your typical FOV and you might think somebody entered your room or something dropped off a shelf, and it startles you. I think this really shows how good the soundstage is with the TCs. Though they are not SR1as – 9/10

3. Susvara
: A good soundstage. You can also clearly see everything in your FOV. It’s not the best soundstage ever, but it is still very good – 8/10

4. R10P
: The soundstage is actually pretty good for a closed-back headphone, and you don’t really lose anything to the typical open-back. Imaging is clear, instrument separation is nice, and width is adequate (and front/back isn’t terrible) - 7/10

5. LCD-4
: Adequate soundstage but could be better. Additionally, things are more hazy, and sometimes sounds and instruments blend into each other, which I do not like. Imaging and resolution is not really great, in comparison to other headphones - 6/10

6. Utopia
: An “intimate” soundstage. It’s pretty small, but you can clearly see everything in the song, and the layering is amazing. Also imaging and resolution is top-notch. I just wish the soundstage was bigger, so 6/10

7. CRBN
: Also a relatively “intimate” soundstage. Like the Utopia’s it’s pretty small, but the imaging is pretty good, and the layering is adequate (though not at the level of the Utopias). Resolution is good, but not in the level of the SR1as, TCs, or Susvaras. I feel the CRBNs have that “Audeze” type imaging and layering, where things aren’t as clear or separated. 5/10

Mids

Mids are important for rock and metal, but not so much hip-hop. For some sub-genres of metal, like doom/stoner, mids are key.

1. LCD-4: These have the best mids of the bunch in my opinion. Guitars sound crunchy, lush and thick. It is perfect with some sub-genres of metal. I really don’t have any complaints, so I’m going to give it a 10/10

2. Utopia
: I remember putting on the “warm” filter on my old Chord Hugo TT2, and was amazed at the way distorted guitars sounded. It is somewhat reminiscent of that LCD-4 crunchy sound. Metal is definitely good out of these. Things could be thicker or more lush, but those are just minor complaints. 9/10

3. Susvara
: I really like the mids on the Susvaras. They aren’t up to LCD-4 levels of crunchiness or thickness, but they make metal sound good. I’m not sure if it is the mids that make black metal sound so good on the Susvaras, but I’m thinking it may. It’s going to get an 8/10

4. SR1a
: I think the mids are pretty good with the Raal/Requisties. They aren’t up there with the best, but listening to metal with these is not a problem. Guitars sounds good, but things could be lusher and crunchier. 7/10

5. CRBN
: These have that “Audeze” sound of lushness and thickness, but not to the extent of the LCD-4s by any means. However, you can tell they are in the same family. Like the SR1as, these headphones could be lusher and crunchier, but the mids aren’t recessed by any means. 7/10

6. R10P
: The mids here are honestly pretty good. Metal sounds fair out of them, but like a few other headphones, they could be lusher and crunchier. 6/10

7. TC
: There is a lot of talk about recessed mids with the TCs. I do get that they are somewhat recessed compared to the other headphones in this review. Metal sounds good out of these, but I think that may have to do more with the bass and weight of instruments. So, objectively, these are also going to get a 6/10

Treble

I’m not a treblehead and I don’t particularly like piecing highs. Still I think treble is important and sometimes speaks to resolution.

1. SR1a: Treble is great! It’s not piercing to me, and it really makes the resolution on these ribbon headphones stand out. I guess it could be a bit sweeter, but it’s not a big concern for me. 9/10

2. Utopias
: Very good treble, that can be a bit bright at times, but it is not terrible. It really has a great effect on the perceived resolution, and it is very nice to listen to these cans. 9/10

3. TC
: I also like the treble on the TCs. I really don’t have any complaints, though I do not think the treble is at the same level as the SR1as or Utopias. It’s not piercing, is very clear, and makes metal sound great. 8/10

4. Susvara
: I too like the treble on the Susvaras. Everything sounds great, the resolution is high, and it is never piercing. These headphones sound very laid back and easy to listen to; there is never any treble brightness or sharpness. The resolution is not at the same level as the SR1as, but it is very good. 8/10

5. CRBN
: These don’t really have that sharp, piercing treble one might expect for this type of headphone. The treble is more laid back like the Susvaras. It’s just very easy to listen to these headphones. I’d almost say the CRBNs have a bit of subdued treble. 7/10

6. LCD-4
: The treble here is also not as good as the SR1as or Utopias, but it is not terrible. There are not treblehead headphones. I don’t know for certain if the somewhat lack of treble clarity on the LCD-4s affects the resolution and imaging, but I suspect it may. Due to this it gets 6/10

7. R10P
: This is the clear loser of the bunch in terms of treble. It is subdued, but does not affect imaging or perceived resolution, which I find interesting. I don’t personally mind the subdued treble, but I know others probably would. This is going to get a 5/10

Favorite headphones based upon genre

Death Metal and Grindcore:
TCs (for the weight) and SR1as (for the speed)

Black Metal and Lo-fi metal: Susvaras (they contrast very well with the “cold” sound of black metal. It’s truly a perfect match in my opinion)

Doom/Stoner: The LCD4s are king here. They just make distorted guitars sound so, so good. The Utopias should also be included because they can sound very crunchy too

General Metal: TCs, Susvaras, Utopias, SR1a, CRBNs (it all just depends on what flavor you want)

Hip-hop: No question the TCs are the only headphones I wear when listening to hip-hop. Nothing I’ve heard, other than maybe the Fostex th900mk2, represent the all encompassing, soundstage-wide, bass that hip-hop requires. If you love hip-hop, you need to try the TCs

Subjective overall headphone rankings of the headphones mentioned in this comparison

• 1. TC
  • 2. SR1a
  • 3. Susvara
  • 4. Utopia
  • 5. CRBN
  • 6. LCD-4
  • 7. R10P

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 116
excellent post dude, I totally agree about TC being number 1 :smiling_imp:

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 116
thanks for that! Nice comparisons and very helpful indeed. I was thinking of trying CRBN but having second thoughts now.

you ranked SR1a quite highly; is that on technical aspects or overall enjoyment? does it get much play time, I mean, since you're a bass head and all.. I assume bass heavy music takes up most of the playlist?

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 116
thanks for that! Nice comparisons and very helpful indeed. I was thinking of trying CRBN but having second thoughts now.

you ranked SR1a quite highly; is that on technical aspects or overall enjoyment? does it get much play time, I mean, since you're a bass head and all.. I assume bass heavy music takes up most of the playlist?
It would be the technical aspects for the SR1as. I just love the sounds flying around me. It sounds so good with rock and metal. With some Queens of the Stone Age albums it feels like guitar sounds are literally flying from the back of me to the front on the left and right side. It’s crazy.

They don’t get as much play time as I’d like. I’ve really neglected a lot of headphones recently and have been sticking with my TCs a lot (due to being in a rap phase at the moment). Once I get off this rap wave, my other headphones will get more play.

I like the CRBNs a lot, but they just aren’t as good as some other TOTL cans I have. If I was comparing the CRBNs to other headphones as well (basically a longer list), they would be near to the top

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 116
How do you choose which headphone to use or do you randomly rotate daily?

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 116
How do you choose which headphone to use or do you randomly rotate daily?
I used to listen to a different pair of headphones each day, but this last couple of weeks a bunch of great rap albums came out and I’ve been addicted to hip-hop, listening to them repeatedly and then wanting to listen to other similar albums.

I’ve also been on a Houston “chopped and screwed” kick, and have listened to dozens of those rap albums. Chopped and screwed is just rap albums slowed down and chopped (you have to listen to it to know what I mean), where it sounds very “druggy” for lack of a better word, and the bass is crazy. The TCs can only do those albums properly.

Also a bunch of metal albums came out that are great too (Midnight, Zeal & Ardor, Ghost, etc), so I think I’m going back to a different pair of headphones each day now. I can listen to any pair of headphones with metal (and all other genres, minus electronica and hip-hop), so my other headphones will get more play.

It’s just that the TCs are perfect with hip-hop. Nothing other than the th900mk2s are acceptable with that genre, and the TCs are better than the th900mk2s in every regard.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 116
I realized I missed I few relevant topics in my comparison, mainly tonality and imaging along with a 3D effect.

Those topics will require some back and forth with each pair of headphones to properly bring out the differences. I will try to do that in the coming days.

Is there anything else anybody would like me to compare with these headphones?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 116
Mar 20, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 116
Mar 20, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 116
Any specific albums you recommend? I have Qobuz and Tidal.
A few from the back of my head.

Wonderful dynamics and instruments texture and separation:
71+eoAQfmmL._SS500_.jpg

Very intense orchestral music, extreme sub-bass details (mostly from hall ambience). And a hammer "clang" at ~13 mins in the 4th and last movement:
61pImPvvmjL._SL1200_.jpg

Wonderful piano playing with extremely complex passage that will distort if not driven properly (try track #6):
c7zkqy-jugendstil-preview-m3.jpg

Some beautifully recorded cello and piano music by Brahms:
61n9HLwIeSL._SL1200_.jpg

Jordi Savall conducts Beethoven symphonies with period instruments. Wonderful textures, timeless compositions:
ezar6p1kkjdla_600.jpg

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 116
Nods. Agree strongly of the order. I would slide a few STAX below the SR1a but it's pretty complete.

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 116
@Ciggavelli i think you've tried some ZMF and Meze headphones? curious, where would they go in your ranking?

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 116
@Ciggavelli i think you've tried some ZMF and Meze headphones? curious, where would they go in your ranking?
I have tried the Meze Elite and ZMF VCs. I actually bought another pair of VCs a few days ago, so I’ll get them in 6 - 12 weeks. I sold the first pair I had because I didn’t like them. I thought they sounded veiled. This time though, I got the upgraded cable and the BE2 pads, which some say makes the VCs sound a lot better. We shall see.

I also had the Elites like the first day they came out. I too felt like they sounded veiled. I like high resolution and imaging, so they are both very important to me.

I would rank both headphones at the bottom of the list. The VCs were slightly better I think, so:

8. VC
9. Elites

Since I’m giving the VCs another try, I will evaluate them again and the ranking may change. I feel no need to try the Elites again. They are just not for me. I disliked any sort of veil. There’s a veil on the LCD-4, but the wonderful mids make up for it. The VCs and Elites did not have any other feature that stood out to make them special

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 116
Additionally, I had the T + A Solitaire P. I liked everything about it, but the sub bass. Some say I might have had a bad pair…who knows. I’d actually rank them above the CRBNs, LCD-4, and R10P.

They have great imaging and resolution, but my other headphones have that as well. There wasn’t any feature they had that was unique. So I sold them. If they had good sub bass, I would have kept them. The “normal” bass was great, which I really liked. I may try the Ps again, just to see if I had a bad pair before and to try some different cables. But, I have some headphones coming in, so it’s low priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back