Cigar Review: CAO Italia Gondola
Mar 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I got this cigar free in the mail from a buddy over at puff.com as a tag-a-long with some tobacco seeds, and was very excited to try it because I'd only had the Piccolo version of this, which is tiny. So, without further adieu, the review:

Taste: 3.5/5
Draw: 4.5/5
Construction: 3/5
Finish: 3.5/5

Inspecting the cigar before the light up, I noticed an obvious patch, which isn't a problem with a toothy wrapper like this. However, due to either postal mishandling or just careless packaging by the manufactuer or the gentleman who sent it to me, there were two rips in the wrapper, one at the foot and one about an inch in (which connected to each other as the tobacco expanded and kind of screwed up the construction. Not sure if it was the manufacturer or not, but I had to dock some points.

Now, as I lit up, I was expecting the rather full flavor of the Italia that I had gotten from the piccolo version, but the flavor was very airy and light. At least through the first half of the cigar I got very little flavor and body, which was sort of disappointing. After that, I got a lot of leather and woody/tobacco flavors, which were nice.

The draw was free, but not loose, so it was well balanced. I used this cigar to enter a "nubbing" contest, so I smoked it way down to about a quarter inch from the end, so the construction was decent aside from the external flaws.

The finish was good, no noticeable buzz, but good flavor, and no bad heating.

overall, I'd recommend trying this cigar, as well as the other two cigars in this series (the Brazillia and the America). Give them a shot and I don't think you'll be disappointed, just don't expect too much flavor up front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back