Chosing right headphones for me ? Sennheiser, Audeze Sine, Oppo, B&W, Vmoda, Sony. Please Help
Apr 29, 2016 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

vincanity84

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am planing to buy a new quality headphones. Budget is 500 dolars. I will be using it in public transport on my galaxy note smartphone mainly, and on my laptop that has integrated soundcard. So i was reviewing a lots of headphones and reading all day long day after day. Finally i made the decesion to buy AUDIO tehnica ath m40x. They are nice looking but the sound is not much better than on my koss porta pro that are 40 dollars. I guess they need an amplifier or dac. On the first listening on my galaxy note and lap top they sounded like a headphones that are 20 $:/. So i wasnt satisfied and I replaced them with ath m50x. They are a bit louder and the sound is richer and the bass is more powerfull i like tham much more than ath 40x but still thay dont have that sound richness that i was expecting in that price category. I guess they also need AMP  because the bass and the midtones still sound better and louder on koss but purity wise they do sound crisper and cleaner on ath m50x. Finally I gave those to my brother (he liked them more) and he is deligfull and enjoying them on his lap top all the time.  So i dont want to make another "bad" choice. Maybe i didnt wait that burn in time of couple of hours or days, i just listend to them 5,6 hours  couple of days in the row. But for me it was enaugh :) Anyway...

I will be lisening to  lots of music genres. First of all i love LATIN JAZZ music, i like funky music, blues, i like, really like deep bass presents but i dont wont to ruin good vocals to. I love old music, love classic music, rock and pop. As I am 30 years old i do listen a modern music to, but not to much techno, metal.. dont like those. But rnb, dance, house is nice.

About Headphones: I dont wont to use headpones that need amp or DAC. They could be comfortable but it is not most important thing. A little bit of noice isolating would be great because of the public transport but overall i am most interesting in the GOOD SOUND withoout AMP or DAC. Also I would like ON or OVER ear headphones.

My choices:    

1. Sennhesier momentum    over ear              - 160 dollar        
2. Sennhesier momentum 2.0   over ear          - 300 dollar  
3. Vmoda m100                                             -250 dollars
4. Audeze Sine                                         - 450 dollars   (500 dollars with lightning cable but dont have macbook or iphone)
5. Oppo pm3                                                 -350-400 dollars
5. Sony MDR 1a                                           -300 dollars
6. P7  B&W                                                   - 350 dollars

Sorry about my bad english  :/

Any suggestions, solutions, comparison or advice is appriciated...

Thank you.

May 1, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 23
Out of your choices, I think it is worth demoing the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or Sony MDR-1As.
I would lean more towards the Sennheisers purely because of its design but I have had no long-term experience using them (have just ordered them recently) hence cannot fully assure you if there are any striking problems to look out for.
However, I know for a fact that both these headphones can be driven well by the typical smartphone, making it perfect for your usage purposes.

V-Moda M100 - as you may be aware already - is a warmer sounding headphone so worth checking out if you listen to a lot of RnB/hip hop/EDM. I can't imagine it being that great for latin jazz music (once again, Sony MDR-1A should be more appropriate).
The M100s are virtually indestructible too. I'm just not a huge fan of the design and I don't find them particularly comfortable (but I have heard the XL pads that V-Moda sell can alleviate this problem to an extent).

Cannot really speak for the other headphones as I have not used them.

May 2, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 23
I've owned the Momentum 2.0, the OPPO PM-3 and the V-Moda Crossfade M100 already. And I have the Sine on order and showing up next. All in the pursuit of trying to find the perfect portable can (for me).

Here are my quick thoughts:

1. Momentum 2.0: Really like the sound, but physically weren't comfortable for me. Enough so that I had to send them back -- the combo of ear pads (bit too small for me) + clamp meant that I couldn't wear them for longer than 15 minutes. Loved the level of bass/mids/highs.
  2. OPPO PM-3: Super comfortable, and included lots of great extras (cables, packaging, etc). Unfortunately I ended up agreeing with some of the commentary that they were sort of boring, and their "lack" of bass was really apparent when I was outside of the house (where I planned on using them the most). They sounded fine on my couch (amped with HA-2)...but not as great when I was outdoors. Decided to send them back while I was still within the 30 days so I could audition more. Mids and highs were great but bass lacking for me.
  3. V-Moda: Have these now. They're right for some people, but not for me -- seem to be a bit "muddy" on some things because there's so much bass and either too low mids, or the mids are too warm. Like OPPO they really nailed the packaging/extras/etc that come with it. I would definitely get the XL pads if this is your pick.
  4. Sine: shows up next!

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 23

Hey, how did you like the Sine? I just found out about this company - Audeze.

I've had a pair of V-Moda LP2, which I love, for about 4 years now and I'm trying to find out if there's anything  that comes close to the V-Modas build quality + sound / price ratio.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 23
I've had the Sines for over a month now and they're definitely staying. They're amazing -- bass/mids/treble are all awesome. I think it sounds pretty wide for a closed can (especially on-ear) and overall they make music listening very fun.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 23
Nice, thanks for the replies! I will keep an eye out for the Sines and will check out the AKG K545, since they are apparently the easiest to find/most popular in this part of the world, on Amazon.

I'm not in a hurry, so I'll most likely hunt for a good deal on the Sines in the next few months - they go for 599 EUR (~ $675) on Amazon.fr/Amazon.de - and that's apparently the non-cipher version, which seems like a really bad deal. Heck, it'd probably be cheaper if I ordered them on the manufacturer's website and paid $50 for the shipping.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 23
Check out the NAD Viso HP50, if you can live with the looks. Great sound quality for the price and a clear step up from the ATH-M50 for not much more. They sound great even without a dedicated amp/DAC, and are a slightly darker and bassier alternative to the OPPO PM-3, which I currently own.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 23
also consider the sony 7520...studio monitors often used for mixing.
fab detail and bass slam...lightweight and sooooo easy to drive.

new audeze sine ....am looking at these too, to possibly replace or add to my sony 7520s and senn 650s
(but my sonys were my first babys...hard to get rid of 'em.)

i've read in some reviews that the audeze sines on ear model can cause a a bit of soreness on the upper ear due to the clamping factor,
after an hr or so of wearing...any owners care to chip in kindly?
(maybe audeze will come out with an over ear pair ...makes sense for more noise isolation)

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 23
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 are classified as "over ear" and they were not comfortable for me --- hence me returning them. (but I liked the sound)

Audeze Sine are classified as "on ear" and they are comfortable for me -- they're my keepers. (and I love the sound)

Funny how it all worked...

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 23
I`ve tried all but the Sine and think that the PM3`s are a great choice if you like a good combination of bass and midrange. The PM3 has those nailed but the treble is the controversial bit that some people have issues with.

Signature wise, the PM3`s are almost flat, but have a sub-bass boost that gives the bass that deep impression. It`s super tight and punchy too. The midrange is very detailed as well, with a slight boost in the lower midrange adding some extra body to the sound. The treble is detailed with a pleasing sense of texture and body as well, but they tend to stay out of the focus, more complimenting the sound than driving it.

Overall, the PM3`s are really nicely tuned and I find them to be very comfy as well, they`re pretty solid overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back