Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 8, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #10,336 of 10,859
Hello,

I have a problem with my mojo2 which I barely use.

The right channel is throwing pink noise, on both output with two different headphones.
It is the same with or without USB source.
Sometimes it is better then bad again.
It is under warranty but I am quite disappointed.
Has someone experienced this?

Regards Greg

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #10,337 of 10,859
Hello,

The right channel is throwing pink noise, on both output with two different headphones.

Regards Greg
When you say “it is the same with or without USB source,” what do you mean? Have you tried the optical input? Or do you mean it makes noise even without a source connected? Have you tried a different USB cable (the most common solution)?

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #10,338 of 10,859
Hello,

Regards Greg
I've had the same problem both with Mojo 2 and Qutest. It happens more often with high sample rates. The used USB cable matters a lot. With one cable this has never happened or maybe once, with some cables it's very frequent.

It's strange as this has never happened with any other dacs than Chord dacs and I've otherwise considered Chord dacs very high quality. I really hope they get this sorted in their future products as it's really not nice to get that white noise blast with headphones, especially when listening at high volumes.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #10,339 of 10,859
I've had the same problem both with Mojo 2 and Qutest. It happens more often with high sample rates. The used USB cable matters a lot. With one cable this has never happened or maybe once, with some cables it's very frequent.

It's strange as this has never happened with any other dacs than Chord dacs and I've otherwise considered Chord dacs very high quality. I really hope they get this sorted in their future products as it's really not nice to get that white noise blast with headphones, especially when listening at high volumes.

I am not sure you are referring to the same issue.

I understood that the question was in regards to white/pink noise most of the time with no source connected at all. The chap probably needs to make the specifics clear for better advice.

If you have never had white noise with other DAC's you are lucky.

I have had one or two white noise issue with my original Chord Mojo.

I have had white noise due to USB compatibility issues with a Schiit Modi connected to an Android source that would create the white noise every single time after about thirty seconds of playback. Had the same sort of problem with an Asgard internal DAC card from an Android source. I currently have a white noise problem with in iFi Go Bar from an iPhone 15 Pro streaming Tidal, that will create a couple of seconds of white noise over the music every time Tidal switches between MQA and FLAC. The internal DAC of my Ear Men St-Amp makes some loud pops at the start of songs from certain sources and not others.

Seems USB compatibility isn't an absolute solved science with audio gear at least.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #10,340 of 10,859
Popping sounds on while streaming on Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S10)

Hi all,

I have the Mojo2 connected to my Android Phone (Samsung Galaxy S10) via a short USBC cable and light popping sounds intermittently appear (say about every 2-3 seconds) when I stream music on Spotify and when I play the downloaded files on Spotify. It also happens when I play my native FLAAC files on the Poweramp app.

I tried to look for solutions to this problem but eventually gave up using the S10 and I thought it was an Android/S10 thing. Now I am streaming music on Spotify with my old iPhone 6 which does not have the popping sounds.

The other day I happened to speak to someone about this issue and he mentioned to try using the FIIO Music app on the S10. He said that the issue could be that Spotify and Poweramp up-samples the music files, which leads to the pops. Apparently the FIIO Music app doesn't do that.

And sure enough, when I tried playing my FLAAC files on my S10 via the FIIO Music app, the pops disappeared! This eliminates the possibility of issues with the cable connection, RF interference, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue of popping while streaming on Spotify on an Android phone? I would prefer if the Android options works as I can easily add music files onto the (large capacity) microUSB card and play it off the S10, unlike the iPhone option.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #10,341 of 10,859
Hello,

Thanks for your interest.

I was kind of aware that the problem could be a cable/USB problem.

What worries me more is that first everything has less than 20 hours of running time.

I plug no cable except the headphones. I turn it on. When it is doing it's boot sequence nothing. When you hear the relay in the end... Sxhiiiiiiit.

It seems that pushing the headphone cable can change the noise behavior.

Problem is it was bought on Amazon market place new from Slovakia ( I live in France). I will see what they offer.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #10,342 of 10,859
This detail makes me think it is related to the cable. Are you certain you are fully inserting the cable? And have you tried other headphone cables? Are you using a 3.5mm TRS connection, or is it a TRRS connection?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #10,343 of 10,859
About the white noise issue on Mojo 2, in my case one of the causes, besides a loose cable, was turning on or off the room lights on the hallway close to my studio where I use my mojo, so basically electro magnetic interference for what I understand about it. In particular an old fluorescent lamp was the main culprit and therefore I replaced all nearby lamps with high quality LED lights. There’s still a light switch close to the mojo that triggers the white noise. Sometimes, it seemed to me that a car passing by (I ‘m on the ground floor) could have trigger the white noise too, but I’m not 100% sure about this.

I have finally added a couple of ferrite beads to both ends of the USB C cable feeding the DAC and so far I’m not getting anymore the noise, except when using that light switch close to the Mojo.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #10,344 of 10,859
Hello,

Thanks for your interest.

I was kind of aware that the problem could be a cable/USB problem.

What worries me more is that first everything has less than 20 hours of running time.

I plug no cable except the headphones. I turn it on. When it is doing it's boot sequence nothing. When you hear the relay in the end... Sxhiiiiiiit.

Problem is it was bought on Amazon market place new from Slovakia ( I live in France). I will see what they offer.

Thanks

What headphones are you using and how loud is the noise ?

Some very sensitive IEM will make a bit of hiss due to the amplifier noise floor but that is very quiet and should not happen with headphones.

I do recall some comments from a guy here that had hiss/noise issues which, based on his description, seemed to be normal noise floor hiss. He eventually explained that it sounded like the same noise but was louder. I recall it worked out his Mojo 2 was faulty and he got a replacement.

Amplifier noise floor is a hiss or a sssshhhh sound versus the rather harsh scratchy white noise that is a different issue.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #10,347 of 10,859
Well not really, the pops still happen when I stream music off Spotify on the Android phone.

Can’t you just download them as you indicated works fine if you specifically want to use that phone and Spotify ?

Have you considered trying a different streaming service even just as a trial to see if it behaves better on the S10 ?

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #10,348 of 10,859
Well not really, the pops still happen when I stream music off Spotify on the Android phone.

The iPhone doesn't resample the file to USB DACs. It passes the stream bit perfect to the outboard DAC. Android resamples everything to 16/48 via AAudio. Unless the app bypasses AAudio, you'll always be reaampling to the USB DAC. Does spotify have a setting to bypass AAudio to the USB DAC?

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #10,350 of 10,859
Thanks for people who tried to help me

I let the mojo load all day.

I came back home, just plugged the headphone (pretty confident their cable is perfect).
Surprisingly no noise.

I plugged my USB c USB c to phone.
Now listening to music without noise.

Was it stuck into an iem loop???

Strange.

Thanks Greg.

Video from yesterday night if working
https://www.veed.io/view/910ee3a2-2627-4ff5-9249-a55a68e540da?panel=

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back