Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #10,081 of 10,895
I bet some of you guys have your sock drawer organized by colors.

qD7VCO2.jpeg

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #10,082 of 10,895

qD7VCO2.jpeg
I have mine arranged by wavelength of light because everyone’s colour perception isn’t the same and we’d only disagree on whether it really was red or not.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #10,083 of 10,895
I have mine arranged by wavelength of light because everyone’s colour perception isn’t the same and we’d only disagree on whether it really was red or not.

I just throw mine in a big mixed up mess because they are all black. I like black socks, they go with any colour pants. Which is probably pointless because my pants are usually jeans.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #10,084 of 10,895

qD7VCO2.jpeg
I literally have four different shades of yellow socks. If I don’t organize them and the lighting in my bedroom isn’t just right, I end up with two different shades of yellow on my feet. As embarrassing as walking around with my fly down.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #10,085 of 10,895
I think people who want to "fancy up" the EQ are missing an important point.

My belief is that people who buy Chord equipment buy Chord specifically because they're looking for maximum realism - as authentic a reproduction of the sound as they can get.

For these people (among whom I'm one), the only time they'll use EQ is to do "more bass", "more high end" touch-ups because of headphone/IEM sound, but apart from that just listen to the recording as is in its pure state.

Another class of listener is people who like to get fiddly and "remaster" songs to their specific tastes. That would require a complex EQ. And they could do this with pretty much any DAC.

But I don't think, by and large, these are Chord's customers.
Wholeheartedly agree. My example of this is the U12t - a few extra dBs of bass from the Mojo's EQ gives them that little more low-end oomph I crave on certain tracks / genres. The fundamentals of the recording, the DAC and the IEM are retained and enhanced.

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #10,086 of 10,895
I just throw mine in a big mixed up mess because they are all black. I like black socks, they go with any colour pants. Which is probably pointless because my pants are usually jeans.
And even that will cause arguments, because I hardly ever show my pants when out. I live in the UK.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #10,088 of 10,895
but then how else can you objectively define an EQ requirement that covers most areas but that is also easy to set-up

Please purchase a Qudelix 5K and see how easy their 10 band PEQ is. I think this was suggested 2 years ago or so

Simply needs your DAC to talk to a Chord app via bluetooth and voila - the settings get stored in the DAC itself, not in the app. Just like with Qudelix

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #10,089 of 10,895
Please purchase a Qudelix 5K and see how easy their 10 band PEQ is. I think this was suggested 2 years ago or so

Simply needs your DAC to talk to a Chord app via bluetooth and voila - the settings get stored in the DAC itself, not in the app. Just like with Qudelix

Do you notice the flaw in your suggestion, remembering this is the Mojo 2 thread ?

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #10,092 of 10,895
I imagine you were talking about Mojo 2 since that is the thread you are in.

How are you going to bluetooth connect to a device that has no bluetooth ?

Perhaps I overlooked something and you are providing suggestions for Mojo 3 in 2030. I don’t think that far ahead with this stuff and I imagine there will be other advancements to consider by then, hopefully the Micro USB will be dropped as well.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #10,093 of 10,895
One thing I really wish had been possible is to reprogram the 4 EQ bands. I love the quality of the Mojo2's EQ but I think the two dip EQs at 20Hz and 20Khz are a bit useless and the two shelf EQs are not always suitable, especially the low shelf at 150hz often tends to invade the mid-low range too much and make the sound muddy.

I would have loved to have 2 low shelves at 100Hz and 400Hz for better control of the bass and low mids and 2 high shelves at 1.6Khz and 6.4Khz for perfect control of the upper mids and highs. In this way I would have obtained concrete control over the entire range... too bad, however, that this is not possible

The idea is this:

Red: Low Shelf 100Hz - Q 0.7
Yellow: Low Shelf 400Hz - Q 0.7
Green: High Shelf 1600Hz - Q 0.7
Light Blue: High Shelf 6400Hz - Q 0.7

The band numbers are multiples of the first band, this kind of approach works well when using shelf filters

@Rob Watts What do you think should be implemented in future projects?

Topping have just announced multiple DACs coming soon with feature built-in 10-band parametric EQ.

To focus on Chord since we are in a Chord thread - this is what is needed with Chord products.

10-band PEQ can transform headphones and speakers listening significantly more than more 'taps'. If you can do both great.

I would love to have it in a Mojo3 / Hugo3.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #10,094 of 10,895
Topping have just announced multiple DACs coming soon with feature built-in 10-band parametric EQ.

To focus on Chord since we are in a Chord thread - this is what is needed with Chord products.

10-band PEQ can transform headphones and speakers listening significantly more than more 'taps'. If you can do both great.

I would love to have it in a Mojo3 / Hugo3.
The problem with PEQ is that it introduces noise and sone distortion. It’s the big selling point if the way it’s done on Mojo2 to avoid that. And depending on what EQ you’re applying with PEQ, you can lose dynamic range.
I’ll admit I don’t have a heap of PEQ experience, but when I have (especially in Roon) I’ve always felt it makes music edgy, or at least somewhat fatiguing. The easiest way I can think of it is that it does indeed sound processed. That’s the reason I stopped doing EQ.

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #10,095 of 10,895
The problem with PEQ is that it introduces noise and sone distortion.
If you start with a DAC with very low noise and distortion, you have good headroom and the benefits greatly outweigh the costs with a good DAC.... headphones and speaker in room EQ can transform sound significantly more than adding "more taps".

I’ll admit I don’t have a heap of PEQ experience, but when I have (especially in Roon) I’ve always felt it makes music edgy, or at least somewhat fatiguing. The easiest way I can think of it is that it does indeed sound processed. That’s the reason I stopped doing EQ

You probably didn't add proper digital headroom and were clipping. This of course is bad and not the way to do EQ properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back