Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #9,781 of 10,898
It's really an interesting perspective to read. I used to own the first Mojo and it was interesting; I did like the spinning balls. It seems tho that the lack of innovation, particularly no balanced on a portable device as well as the outdated USB ports have been catching up to them. Don't know how sound is; people say it's better. The original Mojo also had some sound inconsistencies; the Poly was awful and overall sound depended on port as well; it was more interesting through optical
Personally I think Mojo2 has been a Huge leap from the already good Mojo. The HD EQ to fine tune your headphones is revolutionary IMO and I can’t wait to see it in more Chord products.

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on the USB ports. Yes mini uSB is a pain in that I’m always hunting for my specific wire to charge but other than that it brings me no issue. it has USB C now and that means no more dongles for me

I do have Poly and whilst I love its convenience, the WiFi still drops every now and again and since having USB C, I find myself using it less and less.

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #9,782 of 10,898
It's really an interesting perspective to read. I used to own the first Mojo and it was interesting; I did like the spinning balls. It seems tho that the lack of innovation, particularly no balanced on a portable device as well as the outdated USB ports have been catching up to them. Don't know how sound is; people say it's better. The original Mojo also had some sound inconsistencies; the Poly was awful and overall sound depended on port as well; it was more interesting through optical
If by "catching up to them" you mean to suggest that a shorter forum thread somehow equals lower sales or less consumer interest, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. The first Mojo was a novel device, so of course there'll be more to talk about.

As for me, I had no interest in the first Mojo. It seemed to me like an esoteric device for a very particular taste. But the Mojo 2's shift away from a warmer sound profile, the addition of EQ, and, yes, the addition of USB C all got my attention. Those things all got me through the door, and only after I got the device did I fully understand it and how I'd actually use it. In many ways, it's an unusual device, and it's probably not easy to market its most salient features. Easier to focus on the surface-level features.

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #9,783 of 10,898
particularly no balanced on a portable device
Chord is another example that balanced is not required, dac/amp can sound great and be powerful enough with SE

bal.png

The lack of unnecessary gimmicks is a pro in my book, not a con

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #9,784 of 10,898
Chord is another example that balanced is not required, dac/amp can sound great and be powerful enough with SE

bal.png

fair. in that case my prob would be I just can't plug in my 4.4 cables ^^

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #9,786 of 10,898
fair. in that case my prob would be I just can't plug in my 4.4 cables ^^

I've been using PW audio 4.4 adaptee for over a year. By far the most secure adapter.

I also have the ddhifi versions. And a cheap amazon one.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #9,788 of 10,898
Not sure why everyone is so hung up on the USB ports. Yes mini uSB is a pain in that I’m always hunting for my specific wire to charge but other than that it brings me no issue. it has USB C now and that means no more dongles for me
I also don't understand why some people are so angry about not having USB-C charging. It seems like a deal-breaker for them.
I have a little USB-C to micro-USB adapter next to my charger, and just plug it into a USB-C cable when I need to charge my micro-USB devices (Mojo 2, Logitech G Pro X mouse, Kindle).
I do welcome the USB-C for data because Lightning/USB-C to USB-C cables are more common.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #9,789 of 10,898

Too many folks simply jump on the (wrong) idea that balanced is always better. It's often just louder. The "better" output will be the one that the amp was designed around. Nothing inherent to balanced or single-ended that makes one superior to the other.

Folks also often confuse "balanced" for "differential" design, but that's a totally different subject.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #9,791 of 10,898
I also don't understand why some people are so angry about not having USB-C charging. It seems like a deal-breaker for them.
I have a little USB-C to micro-USB adapter next to my charger, and just plug it into a USB-C cable when I need to charge my micro-USB devices (Mojo 2, Logitech G Pro X mouse, Kindle).
I do welcome the USB-C for data because Lightning/USB-C to USB-C cables are more common.

I’m also not understanding the vehemence of the USB-C argument. I use iPhone so no usbc there yet and I don’t change my small electronic gizmos very often so probably 90% of the charging connections in my house are not USB-C. In fact the only device that gives us problems is my wife’s iPad which is USB-C and that’s the one we are always having to hunt for a cable for.
I also haven’t had a micro usb port fail yet, perhaps I’m not ham fisted or prone to swinging my devices around my head by the cable.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #9,792 of 10,898
I’m also not understanding the vehemence of the USB-C argument. I use iPhone so no usbc there yet and I don’t change my small electronic gizmos very often so probably 90% of the charging connections in my house are not USB-C. In fact the only device that gives us problems is my wife’s iPad which is USB-C and that’s the one we are always having to hunt for a cable for.
I also haven’t had a micro usb port fail yet, perhaps I’m not ham fisted or prone to swinging my devices around my head by the cable.

The reason for the negative opinions is simple in my mind. This is without a doubt a portable, to go device for travel. And so one travels. And the Mojo comes with, right? So you take with you a very nice charger for USB-C for your phone, DAP, and anything else. With a nice, sturdy, long cable. But wait... for the Mojo you have to find that micro-USB cable. And wait, it's only 15 cm long, so you need to find good spot to rest the Mojo on at the end of that 15cm cable not knowing where exactly the hotel outlet will be at (disclosure: they are usually in terrible places). Will it be dangling mid-air? That won't work. Or do I keep the laptop on at the end of the day just to slowly charge the Mojo with this 15cm cable? No... I give up, let me go to Amazon and buy a longer micro-USB cable just because of the Mojo. OK, still not frustrated, maybe. But wait, now I travel 20 times a year, sometimes for a week, sometimes for a weekend, sometimes for a short work trip. Different backpacks and setups needed depending. And every-single-time, better make sure I have my special 1.5m micro-USB cable because.... thanks Chord.

That's the frustration with Chord releasing a charging by micro-USB-only device in 2022. For me.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #9,795 of 10,898
The reason for the negative opinions is simple in my mind. This is without a doubt a portable, to go device for travel. And so one travels. And the Mojo comes with, right? So you take with you a very nice charger for USB-C for your phone, DAP, and anything else. With a nice, sturdy, long cable. But wait... for the Mojo you have to find that micro-USB cable. And wait, it's only 15 cm long, so you need to find good spot to rest the Mojo on at the end of that 15cm cable not knowing where exactly the hotel outlet will be at (disclosure: they are usually in terrible places). Will it be dangling mid-air? That won't work. Or do I keep the laptop on at the end of the day just to slowly charge the Mojo with this 15cm cable? No... I give up, let me go to Amazon and buy a longer micro-USB cable just because of the Mojo. OK, still not frustrated, maybe. But wait, now I travel 20 times a year, sometimes for a week, sometimes for a weekend, sometimes for a short work trip. Different backpacks and setups needed depending. And every-single-time, better make sure I have my special 1.5m micro-USB cable because.... thanks Chord.

That's the frustration with Chord releasing a charging by micro-USB-only device in 2022. For me.
So just one extra cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back