Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 23, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #9,692 of 10,989
It seems like level matching two headphones on the mojo would be pretty easy by just looking at colors and counting clicks.

Rapid ABX has limitations as well. Using the Mojo as a DAC into two separate amps seems like a nice way to compare systems.
Exactly. It's a fun, easy way to do comparisons ourselves without needing high-end measurement gear and double-blind studies. Comparisons of any kind will always have limitations, even in rigorous double-blind listening tests. The big limitation in this case is that no matter what, you're only hearing your gear in combination with the Mojo 2. But that doesn't keep me from doing it anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #9,694 of 10,989
Level matching also doesn’t work if two headphones “come alive” at different SPL, either. We might be handicapping one headphone before we’ve even listened.
All you do in that case is just compare them at a variety of (matched) output levels. But this says nothing of the fact that “level matching” is a bit of a misnomer since you’re usually matching SPL averages (over particular frequency ranges) or peaks or whatever. It’s not so much “level matching” as it is a judgment call about “level approximating.”

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #9,695 of 10,989
I can't see the appeal of using DAP when a Mojo 2 and an iPhone are around, so I decided to turn the Mojo 2 into a MagSafe accessory. The idea came after looking at the Khadas Tea, which has a great design and makes me wonder why aren't more portable DAC/Amps with MagSafe coming along. I also saw Darko Audio's review of the Mojo 2 where he hacked the Mojo 2 attachment to an iPhone 13 mini using velcro, missing the opportunity to take advantage of MagSafe and ending up with an ugly result.

I know some people already mentioned adding MagSafe to the Mojo here but not many details or pictures of the result were added, so here's the setup I came up with.

First the requirements:

1) I wanted the integration to be as slick as possible with no dangling USB cables nor any USB connectors sticking out more than they should. The connector on the phone side should always be angled.
2) It should help protect both 90º and straight headphone jacks when I'm either holding the package in my hands or in a pocket.
3) No direct modifications to the Mojo itself.

Then the result.

When using headphones with a straight jacket, the Mojo's USB port is on the top side, and the USB cable used is 25cm long with one angled connector on the phone side and one straight connector on the Mojo side:

For headphones with 90º jacks, the Mojo is turned around and connects with a 15cm long cable with angled jacks on both sides is used. A thin USB cable wire is helpful to coil the cable and tuck it under the edge of the Mojo case:

To set up MagSafe, I got these metal "MagSafe-compatible" plate and sticked it to the underside of the Leather case. I could have stacked a few plates directly on the Mojo to level with Mojo feet, but I didn't want to modify the Mojo, plus the result wouldn't look as elegant nor would I have the protective benefit of the leather case.

The MagSafe plate and the cables were all obtained for about 20eur. total. The end result is super neat and all involved cable connectors are as flush or protected as possible.
This is great info, thanks. Could you include links to the MAGSAFE parts you bought so I can see if sourcing them is possibly stateside, I already have suitable cables.

Thanks again!

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #9,696 of 10,989
I can't see the appeal of using DAP when a Mojo 2 and an iPhone are around, so I decided to turn the Mojo 2 into a MagSafe accessory. The idea came after looking at the Khadas Tea, which has a great design and makes me wonder why aren't more portable DAC/Amps with MagSafe coming along. I also saw Darko Audio's review of the Mojo 2 where he hacked the Mojo 2 attachment to an iPhone 13 mini using velcro, missing the opportunity to take advantage of MagSafe and ending up with an ugly result.

I know some people already mentioned adding MagSafe to the Mojo here but not many details or pictures of the result were added, so here's the setup I came up with.

First the requirements:

1) I wanted the integration to be as slick as possible with no dangling USB cables nor any USB connectors sticking out more than they should. The connector on the phone side should always be angled.
2) It should help protect both 90º and straight headphone jacks when I'm either holding the package in my hands or in a pocket.

Then the result.

When using headphones with a straight jacket, the Mojo's USB port is on the top side, and the USB cable used is 25cm long with one angled connector on the phone side and one straight connector on the Mojo side:

IMG_0262.jpeg

For headphones with 90º jacks, the Mojo is turned around and connects with a 15cm long cable with angled jacks on both sides is used. A thin USB cable wire is helpful to coil the cable and tuck it under the edge of the Mojo case:

IMG_0261.jpeg

To set up MagSafe, I got these metal "MagSafe-compatible" plate and sticked it to the underside of the Leather case. I could have stacked a few plates directly on the Mojo to level with Mojo feet, but I didn't want to modify the Mojo, plus the result wouldn't look as elegant nor would I have the protective benefit of the leather case.

IMG_0265.jpeg

The MagSafe plate and the cables were all obtained for about 20eur. total. The end result is super neat and all involved cable connectors are as flush or protected as possible.
I did that sometime ago but ultimately the magnets just aren’t strong enough for the weight of the Mojo. I’ve reverted to Velcro

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #9,697 of 10,989

First the requirements:

Then the result.

where did you get the magsafe plate?

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #9,698 of 10,989
Can anyone point me to a direct comparison of Mojo 2/Poly versus Hugo 2/2 Go?

I am going to be spending a lot of time on the road in our motorhome and need to take my hifi with me! I have an iDSD Black Label which is fine although I find it a bit uninspiring with my Focal Clear Pros.

I want to drive it from an iPhone 15 Pro Max (so USB C not Lightning) and when at home, use it for Roon controlled by the iPhone. I can't use Roon when I am away from home so then it will be HD streaming from Tidal and Qobuz.

My eye was drawn to the Woo Audio WA8 as well although I have no way of auditioning one in advance.

Any suggestions or assistance much appreciated.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #9,700 of 10,989
I did that sometime ago but ultimately the magnets just aren’t strong enough for the weight of the Mojo. I’ve reverted to Velcro
Velcro will certainly give a more solid attachment, but perhaps too solid when trying to detach. It also looks ugly. The magsafe plate is barely visible on the Mojo and there's nothing that needs to be added to the phone.

There's a couple of things that may have made magsafe not good for you. One factor is the magsafe plate placement on the Mojo (leather case) and where you place the Mojo on the phone. The metal plate should ideally be centered on the Mojo and also centered on the phone magnets array. Another factor is if you're using a phone case, how strong are the built-in magnets? In my case I use a Peak Design case which has good magnets, but the "textile" material makes it a bit more slippery than a rubber/TPU case probably would. I'm still happy with the result and can't stop being in awe with how slick it is.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #9,701 of 10,989

I am going to be spending a lot of time on the road in our motorhome and need to take my hifi with me! I have an iDSD Black Label which is fine although I find it a bit uninspiring with my Focal Clear Pros.

I want to drive it from an iPhone 15 Pro Max (so USB C not Lightning) and when at home, use it for Roon controlled by the iPhone. I can't use Roon when I am away from home so then it will be HD streaming from Tidal and Qobuz.

My eye was drawn to the Woo Audio WA8 as well although I have no way of auditioning one in advance.

You can also use Roon Arc for streaming on the go, since it seems you will have WiFi. As for the USB-C use case, only Mojo2 has that input, so that leaves Hugo2 out.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #9,702 of 10,989
Bought the Mojo2 after owning the OG Mojo since it came out. I recently sold the Hugo2+2Go which I have had a love-hate relationship with since I bought the combo. It really is a fantastic combination. But I never got the tonality right with the Audeze i4 and the special cable from Laricables. But now with the EQ function I am satisfied. As good as the Hugo2 was, the tonality is so important to me. I guess that Chord will implement more and more sophisticated QE in future products. For me, the new QE implementation is revolutionary.

So far I have tried two sources with Mojo2. iPhone via Chord connectin kit. But I have a feeling that the Mojo sounds better via Coax. Maybe just a figment of my imagination, but I think it sounds cleaner. Right now I'm using an old Ibasso DX90 that I dug out of an old box. But soon a cable I sent for will arrive which will make it possible to use my Quloos QA360. It is very special DAP. I was looking for a player that didn't have Wi-fi or bluetooth. And it was one of very few that I had to choose from. It is less modern than the DX90 which has so many years behind it. but I really like the QA361 which is designed with one purpose in mind. As good sound as possible. I think the QA361 will sound even better than the DX90 because of its internal power management.
How do you like the sound, qls qa361 + chord mojo 2?
do you listen to music in this bundle all the time?
what kind of music do you think this bundle is suitable for?
what kind of headphones do you use?

thank you in advance for your response.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #9,703 of 10,989
You can also use Roon Arc for streaming on the go, since it seems you will have WiFi. As for the USB-C use case, only Mojo2 has that input, so that leaves Hugo2 out.
Roon ARC can't do streaming unless you're on the same network as your Roon server. On the go, Roon ARC only plays downloaded files (unless you meant streaming your own ripped/downloaded files?)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #9,704 of 10,989

I have all 3.

The functionality of the Poly and 2go now are pretty equal. So, each should perfom well on the road for you. You can use Roon ARC with both if you connect your phone to the WiFi hotspot on either and use Airplay to stream to either. Vice versa works too. Same for Tidal and Qobuz. You'll have to use some combination of WiFi hotspot mode. Plugging the Hugo 2 or Mojo2 directly to your phone probably easiest though depending on your technology fool around tolerance. You may consider taking a laptop and your Roon library with you for the absolute easiest results.

As for sound, YMMV. I personally don't think the 10-15% better resolution of the Hugo2 is worth the cost. You don't get more driving power with Hugo2. The combination is much larger and bulkier too. The Mojo2 UHD EQ is excellent. Both Hugo2 and Mojo2 have crossfeed now. Boils down to mow much you want to spend and how much detail retrieval you want to chase. I prefer the Mojo2 hands down with Focal headphones.

Now the WA8 is something special. It's tube goodness to go. Holographic soundstage, deep bass, wide soundstage, and beautiful mids. There is great synergy with Focal HP. But the battery life is okay (3-4 hours tops) and it gets warm. Using the iPhone and Roon ARC are a great streaming combo on the road. It's hard to compare the WA8 to the Chord products as they are completely different beasts. It boils down to tubes or no tubes.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #9,705 of 10,989
Roon ARC can't do streaming unless you're on the same network as your Roon server. On the go, Roon ARC only plays downloaded files (unless you meant streaming your own ripped/downloaded files?)
When I'm sitting in the work office, 40 miles away from home streaming to Roon ARC from my home NAS on my phone I'll remember that. :xf_cool:

Streaming over the Internet is literally the point of ARC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back