Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 12, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #10,606 of 10,828
That’s a nice combination you’ve got there and that’s almost the exact setup I’m using too! :)

The Hama is actually really, really good (I’ve compared against much more expensive ones!) and, as with all optical, gives you total galvanic isolation from the PC. My experience is that Chord DAC’s and optical works great together. It will give you fatigue-free listening that USB can’t match unless you use some kind of isolator. IMHO.

In my setup I also use an iPower but couldn’t say that there is a difference between it and any charger. Actually my main reason for using the iFi is probably just piece of mind at this point.
But if your using gaming PC how do you actually connect Mojo with optical? Using onboard soundcard toslink plug? Isn't that worse then using directly chord driver and DAC, this way you have to use the onboard audio device to pass the sound.. those are often bad and the driver has worse sampling rate etc.

May 12, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #10,607 of 10,828
May would be high on my list. If I didn't need to pay myself, would love to try MSB Select :)

OT- I’ve heard the MSB Reference which is the DAC below the Select. Surprise, surprise, it was very good! The Select is probably amazing.

May 12, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #10,608 of 10,828
But if your using gaming PC how do you actually connect Mojo with optical? Using onboard soundcard toslink plug? Isn't that worse then using directly chord driver and DAC, this way you have to use the onboard audio device to pass the sound.. those are often bad and the driver has worse sampling rate etc.

Sorry, that was the ”almost”. I’m using a streamer not a PC:

Streamer -> Hama Optical -> Chord Mojo 2 w/ iFi iPower -> headphone / external amp

P.S. When I had a Hugo 2 I actually used a simple DDC that was basically just USB-Toslink converter to get the optical connection from the computer.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #10,609 of 10,828
My Mojo 2 was never meant to be used as a desktop DAC.

The thing is that DSP is just fantastic, @Rob Watts has done an amazing job with it. There is no software I’ve tried (and I’ve tried alot!) that can match the level of transparency that this thing has when EQ:ing. This has actually led me to put the plans of upgrading my desktop DAC on hold.

Now I’m auditioning power connectors and cables instead of DAC’s. :xf_cool:

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #10,610 of 10,828
Well, once you got a very nicely tuned headphones you don't need the dsp :) But I agree its a nice thing to have for various headphones.

The problem of Mojo is that it doesn't punch well, theres a little recess in the mid, the soundstage leaves a lot to be desired, and the clarity while good is not exactly the best. Try to A/B cma18p if you get the chance.

May 12, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #10,611 of 10,828
Well, once you got a very nicely tuned headphones you don't need the dsp :) But I agree its a nice thing to have for various headphones.

The problem of Mojo is that it doesn't punch well, theres a little recess in the mid, the soundstage leaves a lot to be desired, and the clarity while good is not exactly the best. Try to A/B cma18p if you get the chance.
Mojo 2 £395
CMA18. £699
In the UK.

You could add a nice amp for the difference in price.

May 12, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #10,612 of 10,828

I EQ everything - there is no headphone out there that I haven’t had the urge to tune! :wink:

Now I get your points about the lack of punch and soundstage, I believe it comes down to the amplifier circuit. Have you tried it with an external amp?

Edit: Missed the part about the cma18p. From my point of view, the Mojo 2 is good enough to be my ”end game” portable device, at least for now. As a portable I’ll use it when travelling, on vacation and when I’m auditioning other headphones.

P.S. The crossfeed is also exceptionally well done. IMHO.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #10,613 of 10,828
Mojo 2 £395
CMA18. £699
In the UK.

You could add a nice amp for the difference in price.
I EQ everything - there is no headphone out there that I haven’t had the urge to tune! :wink:

Now I get your points about the lack of punch and soundstage, I believe it comes down to the amplifier circuit. Have you tried it with an external amp?

P.S. The crossfeed is also exceptionally well done. IMHO.

Honestly I haven't found an amp in such a price range to improve the Mojo2 to that level. Obviously Mojo2 on its own at the price range is pretty unbeatable. But to elevate it a little bit and do so cheap.

I tried AK PA10 for example which isnt that bad, and it wasnt better. More powerful yeah, but even less clarity. I think for the difference you have to go add of the likes of Kobo 433/475 which will be additional 1000+.

I am actually looking forward to try some more amps with Mojo2 soon.

Ps. Cma18p has also expetionally well builtin bluetooth support, for which you have to buy ultra expensive Poly if you want it on Mojo2..

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #10,614 of 10,828
Honestly I haven't found an amp in such a price range to improve the Mojo2 to that level. Obviously Mojo2 on its own at the price range is pretty unbeatable. But to elevate it a little bit and do so cheap.

I tried AK PA10 for example which isnt that bad, and it wasnt better. More powerful yeah, but even less clarity. I think for the difference you have to go add of the likes of Kobo 433/475 which will be additional 1000+.

I am actually looking forward to try some more amps with Mojo2 soon.

Agree, good point on not finding an amp in that price range to elevate it!

In my setup the Mojo benefits from being used with a better headphone amp. So it actually scales really well with good gear around it.

Edit: Rephrased to better get my point across.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #10,615 of 10,828

Cma18p I thought about for a long time but does it not have desktop mode? I'm choosing the mojo because of that option, amongst others.

May 12, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #10,616 of 10,828
Cma18p I thought about for a long time but does it not have desktop mode? I'm choosing the mojo because of that option, amongst others.
Unfortunately not :frowning2: this is why I didn't buy it. I am unsure why they didn't include it, probably because its meant for purely portable and it would give their desktop solutions a fair run otherwise- its rlly rlly good.

May 13, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #10,617 of 10,828
Unfortunately not :frowning2: this is why I didn't buy it. I am unsure why they didn't include it, probably because its meant for purely portable and it would give their desktop solutions a fair run otherwise- its rlly rlly good.
It's a blessing for me as it saved me money lol.

May 13, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #10,619 of 10,828
That, and also not having to worry about the battery levels in the office. And the mojo options. And I don't feel like spending double to cost. But I do think the cma18p is a great unit. I'd definitely want one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back