Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #10,171 of 10,665
Hey guys,
I'm AB testing the Chord Mojo against an other DAC that was sent to me and ran into a question. Now I normally have the Mojo 2 set to indigo when needing line out to my Amp but the DAC I'm comparing is fixed volume and runs louder. If I set the Mojo 2 to light indigo on left and white on the right I don't have to adjust volume on the integrated amp (making A/B faster) but I don't want the thing to clip. Am I better off volume matching after switching inputs and leaving the Mojo set to indigo?
I'm thinking the Mojo 2 is probably clipping at this volume and not optimal. I think i just answered this one myself lol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
On that note, hope everyone is enjoying their Mojo 2's! :beerchug:
IMG_9893.jpg
The mojo 2 is fine even at max (just slightly more distortion). However, you need to check that the amp you’re connecting it to is ok with that much voltage over RCA. That’s where you might run into issues.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #10,172 of 10,665
Yeh in that case things are quite bad. Mojo2's SNR of around 82dB is too poor for such sensitive IEMs.

IEMatch gets rid of Mojo's hiss but now significantly increases the output impedance (as you noted) and probably affects frequency response for low Z IEMs, hence time domain response (since both are inversely related
My bad

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #10,173 of 10,665
Yeh in that case things are quite bad. Mojo2's SNR of around 82dB is too poor for such sensitive IEMs.

IEMatch gets rid of Mojo's hiss but now significantly increases the output impedance (as you noted) and probably affects frequency response for low Z IEMs, hence time domain response (since both are inversely related )

On some IEM the higher output impedance is beneficial sonically.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #10,174 of 10,665
Hey guys,
I'm AB testing the Chord Mojo against an other DAC that was sent to me and ran into a question. Now I normally have the Mojo 2 set to indigo when needing line out to my Amp but the DAC I'm comparing is fixed volume and runs louder. If I set the Mojo 2 to light indigo on left and white on the right I don't have to adjust volume on the integrated amp (making A/B faster) but I don't want the thing to clip. Am I better off volume matching after switching inputs and leaving the Mojo set to indigo?
I'm thinking the Mojo 2 is probably clipping at this volume and not optimal. I think i just answered this one myself lol. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
On that note, hope everyone is enjoying their Mojo 2's! :beerchug:

The Mojo2 won't clip. It's designed to run full voltage out. It is more how your amp can take input voltage over 2V. That's where the clipping occurs.

It sounds like the non mojo2 dac is louder likely due to it having higher voltage output. It sounds like you are increasing the mojo2 output to match. There is no issue with that.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #10,175 of 10,665
The mojo 2 is fine even at max (just slightly more distortion). However, you need to check that the amp you’re connecting it to is ok with that much voltage over RCA. That’s where you might run into issues.
The Mojo2 won't clip. It's designed to run full voltage out. It is more how your amp can take input voltage over 2V. That's where the clipping occurs.

It sounds like the non mojo2 dac is louder likely due to it having higher voltage output. It sounds like you are increasing the mojo2 output to match. There is no issue with that.
Thanks guys!
I had them matched output wise but the Cyan 2 is going into Hegel H190 via XLR and the Mojo is RCA. The Cyan definitely has higher voltage.
Playing a 1 KHZ test tone sounded off from Mojo 2 so I think I may be safer just running lower and adjusting volume on the Hegel to match. Not ideal but thats fine I guess.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #10,176 of 10,665
11 band parametric EQ would make Mojo 3 worth double to me as long as you get rid of the USB Micro cables.
That'd be a concern for folks who really don't need eq, now that they'd have to pay double lol.

I'm neutral on including EQ. It does make the hobby a lot less fun tbh. When I have it, I tend to over-do it and end up fiddling with the sound/chain more than if the EQ wasn't there.

Mar 16, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #10,177 of 10,665
Has the loud burst of noise been fixed already? If yes, which serial numbers should I be checking?

And how is the Mojo 1 versus Mojo 2 with the Campfire Andromeda and Aeon Noir?

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #10,178 of 10,665
Has the loud burst of noise been fixed already? If yes, which serial numbers should I be checking?

The white noise issue can happen with either Mojo so I doubt you are looking to buy after a certain serial number to avoid it. I doubt it will likely never be fixed because it seems to stem from the USB system. A less than optimal cable might be able to trigger it but so can other things it seems based on comments here.

People seem to think that the Mojo original or 2 and the Aeon Noire are a particularly good match. My original Mojo does just fine with my Noire but I don't hear any special sauce versus any other decent amplifier. If pushed really hard the Mojo will distort when driving the very low impedance of the Noire but that is a technical deficiency only not a practical one and happens at volume far above what anybody sane would listen at for more than a few seconds at most.

I have the Solaris not Andromeda and there is definitely slight hiss with the Mojo, I recall hearing the same criticism in respect of the Andromeda. You might want to ask that question on the Campfire thread, I am certain it has been addressed there and somebody will have first hand experience.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cam...udio-2024-thread.971307/page-59#post-18024069

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #10,179 of 10,665

I like Mojo 1 with the A2C and then the Noire quite a bit. Mojo 2 really showed how those headphones scaled. And, Mojo 2 is so good it showed how it scales driving the E3, which is the next step after the Noires. Any choice along that path and you won’t go wrong, IMO.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #10,180 of 10,665
My Current Ultimate setup.

Etymotic Evo
Chord Mojo 2.

Chord Mojo 2 has EQ that is simple and can tune iem with subtle and effective different.
Etymotic Evo is rich with sub bass, tuned as neutral IEM, and eats EQ as much as I wanted it to be without distortion.

I can tune the Evo to any music I want with Mojo 2. EDM, Vocal Centric, and Slow Rock.

I don't need to buy another iem just because the sub bass is not enough, or the vocal is too close, or the treble is too bright.

Evo and Mojo2 are to be destined to be together.

Attachments

• IMG-20240320-WA0026.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0026.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20240205-WA0041.jpg
    IMG-20240205-WA0041.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #10,181 of 10,665
Hey guys, I've just got my Mojo 2, and I am loving the sound. I am using it as desktop DAC. As many here I am bit confused about the desktop mode haha. I've charge the Mojo with a external charger to the max, and after some time (while it was turned off) I got the blue and then the purple light, which means it went to the desktop mode. Ok so I unplugged it and connected it to the PC, I've connected the micro USB charging cable to the PC USB3.0 Port and the USB-C connection to the PC. Now the Mojo power led pulses blue again (not purple), the Menu button shows white led, meaning it should power up the battery with max speed. It's been like this for an hour, not sure why it doesn't go to the desktop mode? Does it take more time, or is my USB powering too slow\due to usage?

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #10,182 of 10,665
Hey guys, I've just got my Mojo 2, and I am loving the sound. I am using it as desktop DAC. As many here I am bit confused about the desktop mode haha. I've charge the Mojo with a external charger to the max, and after some time (while it was turned off) I got the blue and then the purple light, which means it went to the desktop mode. Ok so I unplugged it and connected it to the PC, I've connected the micro USB charging cable to the PC USB3.0 Port and the USB-C connection to the PC. Now the Mojo power led pulses blue again (not purple), the Menu button shows white led, meaning it should power up the battery with max speed. It's been like this for an hour, not sure why it doesn't go to the desktop mode? Does it take more time, or is my USB powering too slow\due to usage?
I'd give it a bit more time and see what happens. Sounds like it's working right to me, but may have just lost some charge during the changeover. It's possible it's something to do with the USB port you're using to charge from your PC. Might not be getting much power. Have you tried another port? And, dumb question, but did you double check that you are using the correct micro-USB input on the Mojo 2? One is signal, the other is power.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #10,183 of 10,665
Nothing wrong with your Mojo.
It needs a wall charger for more reasons than one.
Don't try to cheat it. Use a GOOD wall charger, at least 2amp capability, made by a known brand.
No £1 shop chargers.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #10,185 of 10,665

Users who are viewing this thread

Back