Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #33,256 of 42,782
Jul 31, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #33,257 of 42,782
I wonder if Chord will ever release a more aggressive-sounding DAC at the same price point as the Mojo. I've mentioned that the 2Qute sounds more resolving, aggressive, and dynamic, but at a much higher price. The Mojo is still phenomenal, but is noticeably more mellow and rounded.

Jul 31, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #33,258 of 42,782
Right, IMO Mojo is very good performance for pricing if comparing to others in the top ends. AK380 is 5x the price and there are catagories Mojo does better, in terms of strictly sonic qualities. UI and build is a different matter.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #33,259 of 42,782
LE: The happiness hasn't lasted. The music stopped after 1min of playing. Apple needs to fix this!
=======
I've got my Mojo and the Chord's case today. Super enthusiastic by the quality of sound, I am using it with a pair of (wired) B&W P5 and alternatively Audiotechnica ATH-M50.
I am keeping my DSD files stored on an iPhone 6S Plus running Kaisertone, connected to Mojo via Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 adapter: https://www.conrad.se/?websale8=conrad-swe&pi=1431336.
I don't experience the same interruptions as people are complaining about while using iOS 10.3.2. Did I've missed anything?

I use the same iPhone and USB 3.0 CCK, also using Kaisertone. Works on all my IOS devices in 10.3.3 and worked as well
in 10.3.2. One thing I do is tilt the Mojo by putting a small object underneath, with the micro USB cable pointing up. Also,
this arrangement isn't suited for on the go but on a stable surface, as moving the iPhone or Mojo can pause it (as can changing volume
on the Mojo unless done very carefully).

Love the sound of my setup, yours should be working too!

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #33,261 of 42,782
I wonder if Chord will ever release a more aggressive-sounding DAC at the same price point as the Mojo. I've mentioned that the 2Qute sounds more resolving, aggressive, and dynamic, but at a much higher price. The Mojo is still phenomenal, but is noticeably more mellow and rounded.

What made you go back to Mojo if you liked the 2Qute more?

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #33,263 of 42,782
I had a 2Qute about a year or so back, was not that impressed, I found it to be bright and lifeless. After that I got a Hugo 1 much better DAC IMO. The Hugo 1 sounds so smooth and warm compared to the 2qute. Now I picked up a Mojo to use with my Ipad and sennheiser momentum headphones. The Mojo is a great headphone amp. It's not bad as a home DAC as well, I could live with it. But guys it was not designed to be a home DAC so you get what you pay for hihi. I use my Hugo 1 at home and Mojo on the go. I actually find the Mojo to be just a bit smoother and more musical on my momentums. The Hugo 1 is the clear winner at home. My home setup so you know what I compared them on is Micromega PA-20 pre, PW-400 amp and Martin Logan motion 40 speakers (nordost blue heaven speaker cable). A good friend of mine is getting a Hugo 2 soon, I may take it for a demo.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #33,264 of 42,782
Yeah, I would describe Mojo as musical sounding as well, which is interchangeable to natural. Other players tend to sound a bit digital IMO, and EDM typicall always works for this reason, but natural instrumentals not quite as much. If listening to instrumentals, Mojo does well on the mids, and low end.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #33,265 of 42,782
I had a 2Qute about a year or so back, was not that impressed, I found it to be bright and lifeless. After that I got a Hugo 1 much better DAC IMO. The Hugo 1 sounds so smooth and warm compared to the 2qute. Now I picked up a Mojo to use with my Ipad and sennheiser momentum headphones. The Mojo is a great headphone amp. It's not bad as a home DAC as well, I could live with it. But guys it was not designed to be a home DAC so you get what you pay for hihi. I use my Hugo 1 at home and Mojo on the go. I actually find the Mojo to be just a bit smoother and more musical on my momentums. The Hugo 1 is the clear winner at home. My home setup so you know what I compared them on is Micromega PA-20 pre, PW-400 amp and Martin Logan motion 40 speakers (nordost blue heaven speaker cable). A good friend of mine is getting a Hugo 2 soon, I may take it for a demo.

Arent the Hugo and 2Qute almost the same?

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #33,267 of 42,782
The Mojo is a great headphone amp.

Actually it's a terrible headphone amp as you can't use it strictly as an amp. Notice there are no analogue inputs on any Chord DAC. That's because technically it's a DAC that's able to drive headphones from its analogue stage rather than a DAC with a separate amp.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #33,268 of 42,782
Yes you are right, Hugo 1 and 2Qute are very similar. I think the fact that the Hugo is running off its battery and that you have control over output power makes it play better with more gear IMO. I have heard about others who had trouble with a 2Qute sounding bright.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #33,269 of 42,782
Actually it's a terrible headphone amp as you can't use it strictly as an amp. Notice there are no analogue inputs on any Chord DAC. That's because technically it's a DAC that's able to drive headphones from its analogue stage rather than a DAC with a separate amp.

If you want to get all technical, then the Mojo is a great DAC that's able to drive headphones from its analogue stage.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #33,270 of 42,782
If you want to get all technical, then the Mojo is a great DAC that's able to drive headphones from its analogue stage.

It just has been confusing for many who can't figure out why it can't be used as an amp only. Also, there's so many comments that the DAC is great but the amp isn't. So yes, technically it's good to be clear about how it's put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back