Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #19,757 of 42,782
Traveller, I should add a couple of thoughts for your choice in choosing a transport.

7. Future options... Wait for the FiiO T3 transport which will likely have the same interface features built on Android as the X7 but will have less focus on it's own sound quality output and more focus on being a transport with optical, coaxial, and USB digital out. The T3 will also use two full size SD cards and the projected price is around $200. The problem is they haven't given a timeline on producing it so your guess is as good as mine when we can actually see it. Alternatively John Franks of Chord has mentioned an SD card module (in an interview) to attach to the Mojo. Absolutely no timeline on this either.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. It is a very nice summary.
Regarding thought N°7; as you already mentionned we just need to be patient and keep crossing our fingers that those items reach production.

IMHO, Chord missed a good opportunety there as well as with casing & connection module.
They did almost a perfect marketing launch doubled with an almost perfect product with Mojo.
But either due to their size or either they didn't expect such success we waited around one year for a 'simple case' & still are waiting for the module.
Please do note that I am not blaming them at all. Furthermore, until now, nobody filled the holes.
Therefore, due to above points as well as the technical difficulties I am not expecting such DAP from them in a near future.
Nevertheless, I will be the first one to be happy if I am wrong.
Rgds.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #19,763 of 42,782
Great news as I own a Mojo, but this hardly helps my decision to add an A&K DAP to my setup... :confused_face: What would be the advantage, if not for inherent SQ? GUI? €2K for GUI?
On another note, do you feel that TOS is a better connection option over say, coax?

What's your budget? I use the Fiio X7 as a transport, along with 2 different cell phones. Lgv10 and S7 edge. All sound great and have excellent UI's, with streaming. Not sure, but maybe one of the Sony daps? The a17? Or the 100? Zx2 is a other good choice, but can be pricey. X7 and zx2 sound very good without mojo as well, I'm the event that you choose not to stack (which I do on occasion).

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #19,765 of 42,782
It is normal to hear noise from the mojo without any input plugged in?

There are three things that may be the cause of the noise you hear.

1. Normal whining/hissing from charging.

2. The extremely rare case of hearing like a pink noise hiss through IEMs and from the unit itself externally when powered on and nothing plugged in to any input, including the charging USB input. Usually when connected to the coaxial or optical input the noise remains. Sometimes a tap or two of a volume button silences it briefly and when connected to USB audio input the noise sometimes silences. This noise is easily audible and offensive.

3. Normal noise floor hiss being heard through sensitive IEMs. This shouldn't really sound offensive and I found is a minor hiss that can be heard on many other amps with sensitive IEMs. This noise can not be heard externally from the Mojo where as the other two can.

I had the #2 issue with my very early production Mojo and it needed to go back to Chord for repair as it was a review unit. If your issue is #2 you should return it to your dealer. There was an extremely small batch of very early units that had the #2 issue and I was under the impression Chord fixed the problem. Perhaps you got an older unit, or one slipped through the cracks (if #2 is your issue).

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #19,766 of 42,782
There are three things that may be the cause of the noise you hear.

1. Normal whining/hissing from charging.

2. The extremely rare case of hearing like a pink noise hiss through IEMs and from the unit itself externally when powered on and nothing plugged in to any input, including the charging USB input. Usually when connected to the coaxial or optical input the noise remains. Sometimes a tap or two of a volume button silences it briefly and when connected to USB audio input the noise sometimes silences. This noise is easily audible and offensive.

3. Normal noise floor hiss being heard through sensitive IEMs. This shouldn't really sound offensive and I found is a minor hiss that can be heard on many other amps with sensitive IEMs. This noise can not be heard externally from the Mojo where as the other two can.

I had the #2 issue with my very early production Mojo and it needed to go back to Chord for repair as it was a review unit. If your issue is #2 you should return it to your dealer. There was an extremely small batch of very early units that had the #2 issue and I was under the impression Chord fixed the problem. Perhaps you got an older unit, or one slipped through the cracks (if #2 is your issue).

Also worth to mention interference. If my phone is closer than 60cm to Mojo, when not playing music, interference noises are coming through.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #19,767 of 42,782
Also worth to mention interference. If my phone is closer than 60cm to Mojo, when not playing music, interference noises are coming through.

That's normal and expected. Cel phones are crazy noisy with powerful celular signals. You'll get noise depending on your network, signal chosen, and distance to your audio device. This is also not limited to the Mojo.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #19,768 of 42,782
Anyone tried the top AK players (AK240 or above, particularly if any one has the AK380Cu that's even better) with the Mojo? 

Will the addition of Mojo improve on the already very good sound quality, or deteriorates it?

Is there any suggestion for a high end, but short, optical cable? 

Cheers,
Louis 

I just spent a couple of weeks with an AK380 Cu with Amp Cu. I had the Mojo on hand too to compare. My take away is the AK380 Cu is good, but it is tilted in the 'hifi' direction of sound. The Mojo is far more natural and real sounding, less hi-fi sounding than the AK380 Cu. Don't get me wrong, the AK380 Cu is good, their best to date, I still have my AK120 mk2 for comparison. But the Mojo is in another league IMHO.

My current setup is: Macbook -> Mojo -> KSE1500

For a short optical cable, I am using the Moon Audio optical made for AK players -> Mojo.

I am loving this setup, real high end sound for my ears for a portable system. Here is a shot with the AK120 mk2 -> Mojo -> KSE1500 using the Moon Audio optical cable made for AK -> Mojo:

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #19,770 of 42,782
Just to clarify, I mean being able to hear through externally and through the headphones out only and the unit isn't charging. Seems like it is the #2 issue and I will need to send it back to Chord.

Thankyou for the clarification.

In that case, I suggest you contact your dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back