Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #62 of 42,765

Regarding tap length, I have a sense that Chord are not inclined to declare that at this point in time (I don't know it, either). I totally understand why you are asking about it. One factor in this is that Chord are hoping to penetrate a wider market, with the Mojo, and if they are to succeed in doing that, they need to ensure that their marketing message is to-the-point and not overly-technical - in other words, more about what it does, and how good it sounds, rather than how many ones and zeros are implemented in the FPGA code.   Cynics might point to possible conflicts with Hugo sales as a motivation factor in not disclosing Mojos tap length, and although there might be a degree of outward plausibility to that, I know, having heard it, that the Mojo will sell like hot cakes regardless of tap length. Ultimately, it is sound that matters above tap length, important though the contribution of tap length undoubtedly is to Rob's DAC designs. You're tech-savvy enough to realise that there is much more contributing to the sound of Rob's DACs than just tap length.

Having said all that, I suspect that if / when the tap length is finally revealed (who knows when), there may be some pleasant surprises.  Just try to get a demonstration of a Mojo, if you can, and draw your own conclusions.

Unless the new chip has more programmable memory, we can assume that tap length will be lower. The Mojo remembers last set volume and input. Rob's reason for not including this in the Hugo was that he had already used the full capacity of the chip in perfecting the sound quality and was not prepared to compromise it to include the functionality.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #63 of 42,765
I just bought my Mojo from Moon Audio with delivery tomorrow. I have the RSA Intruder so it will be an interesting comparison.

Magic with the 846 in store?

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #65 of 42,765

​
RCA (mini-jack) which operate at up to an incredible 768kHz. 

Hello,

what kind of source is able to feed over coax up to 768KHz? I only know the limit of up to 192Khz for coax, I never seen more than that on any device over coax. With USB no problem, but since when coax is able to transport this bitrate?

Thanks for clarification.
smile.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #67 of 42,765

Regarding tap length, I have a sense that Chord are not inclined to declare that at this point in time (I don't know it, either). I totally understand why you are asking about it. One factor in this is that Chord are hoping to penetrate a wider market, with the Mojo, and if they are to succeed in doing that, they need to ensure that their marketing message is to-the-point and not overly-technical - in other words, more about what it does, and how good it sounds, rather than how many ones and zeros are implemented in the FPGA code.   Cynics might point to possible conflicts with Hugo sales as a motivation factor in not disclosing Mojos tap length, and although there might be a degree of outward plausibility to that, I know, having heard it, that the Mojo will sell like hot cakes regardless of tap length. Ultimately, it is sound that matters above tap length, important though the contribution of tap length undoubtedly is to Rob's DAC designs. You're tech-savvy enough to realise that there is much more contributing to the sound of Rob's DACs than just tap length.

Having said all that, I suspect that if / when the tap length is finally revealed (who knows when), there may be some pleasant surprises.  Just try to get a demonstration of a Mojo, if you can, and draw your own conclusions.

Unless the new chip has more programmable memory, we can assume that tap length will be lower. The Mojo remembers last set volume and input. Rob's reason for not including this in the Hugo was that he had already used the full capacity of the chip in perfecting the sound quality and was not prepared to compromise it to include the functionality.

Maybe; maybe not. I truthfully do not know, at this point.

I don't actually work for Chord, and I'm as curious as the rest of you, with regard to the deeper specs.

And, at the same time, as a non-employee, and as a fellow head-fier, I can be no fairer than to say that this DAC won't be the 'best' choice for everyone on planet earth, but for any of you who have heard the Hugo and yearned for it, or who have been curious to hear the Hugo but never done so because of it being financially out of reach - just.... book yourself a Mojo demo, or grab a seat at a headphone meet, and just listen to it and draw your own conclusions. Bear in mind, that if you are unable to afford a Hugo but are able to afford a Mojo, it is totally legitimate for you to approach a dealer and ask to compare the 2 DACs against each other. I have nothing to gain whether you buy a Mojo or not, but I am very confident that this thing is going to be even more of a success for Chord than the Hugo, because of it's attainable price-point and incredible performance.

It's good for Chord as a company, and good for portable audio audiophiles, that this level of performance is now within reach of a drastically-wider audience, and I'm really happy for that state of affairs.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #68 of 42,765
The Mojo is made out of aircraft aluminium so the built is high end,also the unit runs warm when in use but that's not a problem.Chord have used a special battery for it,exactly like they did in the Hugo,so no problems there.
I am sure this particular model will have a huge success.
Wait until everyone heards it and also keeping in mind the affordable mentioned price this is fantastic.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #69 of 42,765
I just bought my Mojo from Moon Audio with delivery tomorrow. I have the RSA Intruder so it will be an interesting comparison.

I ordered one 30 mins ago. I did not get any shipment notification.
Does your order say, it has already shipped? Or you just chose a overnight shipping?

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #70 of 42,765
Sorry if I've missed this, but my immediate reaction on holding one was that it FEELS luxurious, the paint job / finish on this is much better than that of the Hugo...

Will try it from the optical out of the QP1R imminently :)

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #72 of 42,765
Sorry if I've missed this, but my immediate reaction on holding one was that it FEELS luxurious, the paint job / finish on this is much better than that of the Hugo...

Will try it from the optical out of the QP1R imminently :)

Looking forward to your impressions compared to the QP1R HO as it has been on my radar for quite a while.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #74 of 42,765

I think it's just that the Mojo has a slightly smoother satin finish, as opposed to the Hugo, which feels akin to a bead-blasted (and still high-end) finish. Ultimately, I can see no true difference in build quality, other than the printed (rather than milled) name on the Mojo, as opposed to the Hugo name being milled.

Added to which, the smaller panel size of the Mojo means it may feel slightly 'denser' in the hand, even though the actual thickness of the aluminium may be identical to the Hugo, or even, perhaps marginally thinner.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #75 of 42,765

Will try it from the optical out of the QP1R imminently
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to your impressions compared to the QP1R HO as it has been on my radar for quite a while.

Yes, same here!  Actually, not so much the DAC end of the equation, but more the current-mode amplification stage of the QP1R vs the Mojo, because I am led to believe that the QP1R has a decent amount of low-end clout, too.

QP1R and a Mojo - that's a pretty sweet set-up to play with, Duncan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back