Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 11, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4,786 of 42,765
For the record the Mojo compared to the AGD DAC-19 did not sound overly bright or sibilant. The Gungnir multibit has been reported to be brighter than the DAC-19 so I really don't get the comments that the Mojo is brighter in comparison to the Schiit gear. Also, to my ears, there was no discernible difference with the inputs to my ears besides sampling rate capabilities.

Thanks.
Which is why I prefer the Bimby (Multibit Bifrost) over the Gumby because while the Gumby is a better dac, it is also brighter than the Bimby and I prefer a warmer sound signature.  So those saying it's brighter than Gumby is saying something. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,787 of 42,765
  They are talking absolute bollocks then to put it mildly. I had mine on a 14 day home trial and if there was even a hint of it being bright it would have gone back. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but that's just plain wrong.

Glad to hear. I guess I'll find out soon. Mine is arriving tomorrow from TTVJ.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #4,788 of 42,765
  iPhone to USB Mojo and JH13 and Grado GH1 on occasion. 
I plan on hooking it up to Cavalli Liquid Carbon and Gustard H10  and see how it sounds compared to the Multibit Bifrost. 
My preference is always smooth, clean and warm for dac and amps. 

Welp... I'll be able to give you some impressions on how the GH1 handles on the Mojo, compared to how to it sounds with my Bimby/Lyr 2. Just gotta wait for the dang thing to soak in it's first charge.

Thing is, neither the GH1 or JH13's are warm cans. Not sure the mojo (combined with those cans) will appease your smooth, clean and warm preference. I DO have a pair of JH16's but, they're like the polar opposite of the JH13's.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,789 of 42,765

Welp... I'll be able to give you some impressions on how the GH1 handles on the Mojo, compared to how to it sounds with my Bimby/Lyr 2. Just gotta wait for the dang thing to soak in it's first charge.

Thing is, neither the GH1 or JH13's are warm cans. Not sure the mojo (combined with those cans) will appease your smooth, clean and warm preference. I DO have a pair of JH16's but, they're like the polar opposite of the JH13's.

Yeah...I choose warm amps and dacs (to compensate) because I tend to like headphones that are on the bright side (slight upper bass and upper mids/lower treble emphasis). 

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,790 of 42,765

What are your thoughts on the Mojo with JH 16s?
I suspect it would be a nice pairing. I have the JH 16s and lots of bass as you know and wondering if the Mojo will tame them.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #4,791 of 42,765
All this talk about specific pairing with the Mojo. As I noted in my review, the Mojo is very honest to the headphone. In other words it seems to reveal the nature of the transducer and doesn't colour the sound.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,792 of 42,765

What are your thoughts on the Mojo with JH 16s?
I suspect it would be a nice pairing. I have the JH 16s and lots of bass as you know and wondering if the Mojo will tame them.

I'll tell ya in about 9hrs... :wink: Not sure why the two week wait to get the Mojo seemed easier then the 10hr wait on this first charge. Normally I don't heed the whole "Fully charge before first use" suggestion for battery powered gear but... For some reason I feel compelled to follow the Mojo rules. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,793 of 42,765
  Got my mojo today and have been using it with a DX50 via coax and I have the same problem. Some times loud pops other times staticy interference type sounds, will try my phone see if its the same

Just tried this with my phone and no pops, looks like some sort of problem with ibasso over coax to the mojo?

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,794 of 42,765
I'll tell ya in about 9hrs... :wink: Not sure why the two week wait to get the Mojo seemed easier then the 10hr wait on this first charge. Normally I don't heed the whole "Fully charge before first use" suggestion for battery powered gear but... For some reason I feel compelled to follow the Mojo rules. 

Chord has said in this forum that once the charging light goes out you are fully charged and good to go. The 10 hour initial charge is suggested for units that have depleted batteries from sitting on the shelf for weeks. I don't think your unit has been sitting on a shelf for long.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4,796 of 42,765

Please post when you find out! Thanks much!

:)

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #4,797 of 42,765
  Got my mojo today and have been using it with a DX50 via coax and I have the same problem. Some times loud pops other times staticy interference type sounds, will try my phone see if its the same

I had the same problem with the DX90 until I turned the volume on the player down to zero.  It won't affect the signal going to the Mojo and seems to help considerably with the pops.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #4,798 of 42,765
  @Micha
@jamestux
@KT66

Has anyone managed to get the Hugo going with a Windows phone? I saw you folks wrangling with this earlier in this thread. The Chord Mojo website does say clearly it works with Windows phones.
Quote,
"It works with your iPhone, Android or Windows phone... Also DAPs."  http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/

I have been looking at what transport to buy for the Mojo and came close to the Microsoft Lumia 640 a few times. It has excellent battery life. I would probably choose it if I knew Windows phones worked. However it looks like Android is the only option.

---------------------

I am not going to buy an expensive DAP to use as a transport. I reaslised something I needed to know about cheaper DAPs or phones. Does the DAP or phone need to be HD-audio compatible. E.g the Sony NWZ-A15 is and the Sony Xperia Z2. However it struck me that the transport might not need to be HD-audio compatible, to send HD-files to the Mojo.

Does the processor or the software of a DAP or phone need to be HD-audio compatible too for it to work. Meaning can the Mojo run HD-audio files from a standard definition audio player like the Sony NWZ E580? http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nwz-e580-series. Or a phone with only standard definition playback.

@Massacare
@salla45
I don't know what file types you are using. If it's a software problem as @psikey suggested using JRiver. If you're using only 16bit 44kHz, FLAC, MP3, then you could try Media Go. It's completely free. (It may run HD files but I don't know.) You can download it from the Sony website freely. I found it to be the only free 'rip to FLAC' that I could find. Oddly it still lists FLAC files as the same bit rate as CD-files. However FLAC files ripped with it are noticabley smaller than CD-quality files. 

thanks 

Im using an array of files from CD Rips to HD Flacs and DSDs DSTs DFFs etc. I'd really like to stick with Foobar as it's something Ive really gotten used to and Ive finally got it playing DSD's native too. It's a very slight chopping off of the beginnings of tracks, like quarter of a second or something. Just enough to sometimes cut out the first beat of a song. Irritating at worst. Letting tracks naturally play into each other causes no such truncation. Only if I select a track my self does it do it. Very odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back