Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #26,041 of 42,773
....won't that recess?

I'm not personally familiar with UAPPs equalizer - my remarks were referring to the basic principle of reducing the likelihood of distortion when boosting one or more frequencies.

Looking at the UAPP basic equalizer, it appears there is a 'Gain' setting, which I presume refers to global gain, in which case it might be that you can use that setting to reduce everything by a couple of dB, but I will let others more familiar with UAPPs specific settings guide you from here.

Looking at the UAPP page on GooglePlay, it seems the parametric option costs extra.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #26,042 of 42,773
Well this is a bummer, looks like UPS is having some sort of issue in my area so both my Mojo and my Apple lightning to USB 3 cable are delayed. Both from different shippers too. Let the wait continue. :frowning2:

Edit: never mind, just got delivered!

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #26,043 of 42,773
There are other things to consider too. The nighthawks are significantly more comfortable for long term use since they are so light and adjust to your head without any tinkering. All the LCD headphones are quite heavy on my head and after 15 to 20 minutes I wanna take them off. They don't disappear like the HD 800 and nighthawk too. Also they are more expensive and do not out resolve the nighthawks. I enjoy punchy bass like most people do and I feel the nighthawk does a fantastic job handling the bass without overdoing anything .

Yes, but u also need to consider that i have hd800. HD800 blows everything away when it comes to vocal emphasis or orchestra or acoustic (my preference). But hd800 just dont feelllll in the club for edm songs. I love how th600 can give the bass and clarity but i hate the highs. 

So, what im finding now is a headphone that can give bass impact especially edm and have forgiving highs.

mdr z7/nighthawk/lcd 2.2/others? recommend

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #26,044 of 42,773
I'm not personally familiar with UAPPs equalizer - my remarks were referring to the basic principle of reducing the likelihood of distortion when boosting one or more frequencies.

Looking at the UAPP basic equalizer, it appears there is a 'Gain' setting, which I presume refers to global gain, in which case it might be that you can use that setting to reduce everything by a couple of dB, but I will let others more familiar with UAPPs specific settings guide you from here.

Looking at the UAPP page on GooglePlay, it seems the parametric option costs extra.

Thank you, I still hope to understand this better, I'm scared I'll lower overall fidelity

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #26,045 of 42,773

Quote:

Thank you, I still hope to understand this better, I'm scared I'll lower overall fidelity

If you don't want to risk lowering fidelity, then avoid using EQ, and just send a neutral, bit-perfect signal, as I remarked earlier.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #26,046 of 42,773
I be honest. I am surprised so many recommend the Nighthawk, since it reviews not so well on What Hi-Fi. http://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/nighthawk/review

WHF give it three stars, most other only four stars. I wouldn't touch those headphones with money.

Hi-Fi Choice aren't over enamoured. [COLOR=0066CC]http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/audioquest-nighthawk-headphones/?page=3[/COLOR]

I am stuck for choice as to what full size headphones I would buy if I was in the market. Nothing jumps out at me. I think if I were pushed I would maybe get Grado PS1000 (not e version).

The Nighthawk sounds great with Mojo, which is the only way I've tried it. Only comparison I have is to the HE-6, using the Cavalli Liquid Carbon as an amp (but NH straight from mojo). So, what I can say is that the NH is extremely enjoyable with most everything. (Note, I have changed the pads to the HM-5 angles pleather.). They are full sounding and detailed. The HE-6 have more "presence" and seem to be a bit weightier across the spectrum, with more perceived detail, but maybe not actual detail. Like being front row at a concert. The NH I would say would be like back row, or in a well-damped venue, but no less detail (except in the sub-bass, where the HE-6 with blue-tak mod excel). I will have to try the stock pads again, My recollection of those would be like being outside the main venue at a concert, getting the bass and muffled rest of the spectrum.

Bottom line, thiugh, really impressed with the NH and for he current close out prices on the originals, I would give them a serious try with your Mojo.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #26,047 of 42,773
Can someone point me to a European seller who would ship to US? It is my understanding that the price can be much better than buying in US these days? Would greatly appreciate if someone could drop me a pm... 

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #26,048 of 42,773
Can someone point me to a European seller who would ship to US? It is my understanding that the price can be much better than buying in US these days? Would greatly appreciate if someone could drop me a pm... 

Www.amazon.de

It's around $423 shipped to the US with the fastest shipping, ordered mine Wednesday and it arrived today (Friday)

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #26,050 of 42,773
Can you please tell me the seller and also did you get the one with sticker or with engraving? Thanks

It's shipped and sold from amazon. I'm not sure what sticker you mean. My package was sealed and I peaked off a silver circle sticker that left the words "void" on the box after I removed it. I also have a sticker on the bottom of the Mojo w my serial number and saying it was made in England etc

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #26,051 of 42,773
It's shipped and sold from amazon. I'm not sure what sticker you mean. My package was sealed and I peaked off a silver circle sticker that left the words "void" on the box after I removed it. I also have a sticker on the bottom of the Mojo w my serial number and saying it was made in England etc

I was told that newer units don't have the bottom sticker and now it is an engraving...

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #26,054 of 42,773
It would be nice to hear Chords thoughts on the subject.

The cables in their kit they supply are just straight forward nothing fancy. Alk that's needed I'm sure.

This thread moves too fast - every time I come back to it there's been more than 100 posts, so sorry if this has already been answered

Actually Rob Watts himself put forward the most convincing theory as to why USB cables can sound different. However it's way back in this thread and there's no way I'm spending the next day looking for it.

In a nutshell it comes down to how susceptible the USB cable is to interference.

The interference doesn't affect the digital signal, it's too low for that, so the bits come through verbatim - there is no change to the data. However in a DAC/AMP that isn't galvanically isolated that interference propagates through the DAC/AMP and effectively raises the noise floor of the analog parts. This isn't audible on it's own - dead silent parts will still sound dead silent to our ears. However it will have an effect on the analog signal. A cable that highly susceptible to interference may well make the highs a bit more grainy, which is often interpreted by our ears as a slightly brighter more detailed treble. This would account for why people say this cable sounds dull or this cable sounds clear. The truth is that the duller cable is more likely to be more effective in terms of interference rejection, which means, from an engineering perspective, that it's the better cable, despite our ears preferring the noisier inferior cable.

The choice of conductor is actually pretty irrelevant over the lengths of USB cable - you could make a cable with a steel conductor and there wouldn't be any difference from that of a copper or silver cable. It's how susceptible the cable is to interference that makes the difference.

If you want to hear the Mojo how it should sound then disconnect both the signal and charging cable, and connect it via the optical input, as this effectively isolates the Mojo and minimises interference. That said you may be disappointed as the optical tends to sound softer compared to a USB cable.

So, no fairies or pixie dust - just a pretty solid engineering explanation.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #26,055 of 42,773
This thread moves too fast - every time I come back to it there's been more than 100 posts, so sorry if this has already been answered

Actually Rob Watts himself put forward the most convincing theory as to why USB cables can sound different. However it's way back in this thread and there's no way I'm spending the next day looking for it.

In a nutshell it comes down to how susceptible the USB cable is to interference.

The interference doesn't affect the digital signal, it's too low for that, so the bits come through verbatim - there is no change to the data. However in a DAC/AMP that isn't galvanically isolated that interference propagates through the DAC/AMP and effectively raises the noise floor of the analog parts. This isn't audible on it's own - dead silent parts will still sound dead silent to our ears. However it will have an effect on the analog signal. A cable that highly susceptible to interference may well make the highs a bit more grainy, which is often interpreted by our ears as a slightly brighter more detailed treble. This would account for why people say this cable sounds dull or this cable sounds clear. The truth is that the duller cable is more likely to be more effective in terms of interference rejection, which means, from an engineering perspective, that it's the better cable, despite our ears preferring the noisier inferior cable.

The choice of conductor is actually pretty irrelevant over the lengths of USB cable - you could make a cable with a steel conductor and there wouldn't be any difference from that of a copper or silver cable. It's how susceptible the cable is to interference that makes the difference.

If you want to hear the Mojo how it should sound then disconnect both the signal and charging cable, and connect it via the optical input, as this effectively isolates the Mojo and minimises interference. That said you may be disappointed as the optical tends to sound softer compared to a USB cable.

So, no fairies or pixie dust - just a pretty solid engineering explanation.
Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back