Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #6,347 of 6,752
I'm reading up a little bit about DACs and I just have to know... are Chord trolling everyone with the micro usb port? I know their stance is that power doesn't matter (unlike literally everyone else), but I feel like I can't take the product seriously with that port there, especially at that price range. Like buying a Ferrari with a lawnmower engine in it.

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #6,348 of 6,752
I'm reading up a little bit about DACs and I just have to know... are Chord trolling everyone with the micro usb port? I know their stance is that power doesn't matter (unlike literally everyone else), but I feel like I can't take the product seriously with that port there, especially at that price range. Like buying a Ferrari with a lawnmower engine in it.
I’m not familiar with all of Chord’s DACs but I do know the Hugo2 has microUSB where as the Qutest and TT2 does not. I was interested in trying out a Chord DAC and was debating between the Qutest and Hugo2 as they can be gotten used at somewhat similar prices and the Hugo has a lot more features. But in the end, I couldn’t see spending that much for something with microUSB when the Qutest is a USB-B and is an isolated port. So I went with the Qutest….and REALLY like it.

There’s been some recent chatter in this thread about how long it’s been since Chord has made updates to models or came out with new models. If they are going to continue to sell the Hugo2, they really need to update that stupid microUSB. Just to be clear this is not the Hugo TT2. I’ve never researched models below the Qutest so no clue what they have.

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #6,350 of 6,752
I hear over and over people using the sbooster. The sbooster has a really really small coil in my honest opinion. The farrad has way bigger and has the allo shanti. Did anyone compare the sbooster to the allo shanti? Connected to the qutest (Yes dc cabling good be better, but that is easily fixed)

In the meanwhile the price of the allo shanti is really good, compared the sometimes 500 to 1000 euro psu (overcharged if you ask me)

Jun 10, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #6,351 of 6,752
I’m not familiar with all of Chord’s DACs but I do know the Hugo2 has microUSB where as the Qutest and TT2 does not. I was interested in trying out a Chord DAC and was debating between the Qutest and Hugo2 as they can be gotten used at somewhat similar prices and the Hugo has a lot more features. But in the end, I couldn’t see spending that much for something with microUSB when the Qutest is a USB-B and is an isolated port. So I went with the Qutest….and REALLY like it.

There’s been some recent chatter in this thread about how long it’s been since Chord has made updates to models or came out with new models. If they are going to continue to sell the Hugo2, they really need to update that stupid microUSB. Just to be clear this is not the Hugo TT2. I’ve never researched models below the Qutest so no clue what they have.

I'm Hugo₂-CIEM only, so thanks for pointing out Qutest is USB-B. I make my own Solid Core USB cables, so I was not aware of this. Sir Watts is a fan of Solid Core cabling and Passive Power Supplies. Photo below is a Off-Grid Hybrid 5V (LiFePO4 Batteries -> LPS -> 500F Super Capacitors) powering a MonoPrice USB Optical Cable. I use this for Gaming on a Low Latency realtime kernel PC with PCI-E not Motherboard USB. Since COVID-19, I've been using mainly LiFePO4 batteries throughout my chain but I'm switching over to Pure Super Capacitors this Summer now that Supply Chains are normalising. I used too thin of a Solid Core for my first iteration, so I'll upgrade to a more optimal thickness this Summer. It would of been nice to have you in the Hugo₂ Fam, but congrats on the Qutest.

5V.jpg

optical.jpg

You can actually power Hugo₂ with 2 X 3.7V?Could be 3.3V, need to confirm. instead of 5V. This Summer, I'm building a 1500 Farad Super Capacitor to power the Hugo₂ 24/7 since that's how I have been using since COVID (Desktop Mode).

bussbar.jpg

buss.jpg

Basically, I plug in a Medical Grade Mean Well 19V into the PCB. The PCB handles all Management including 100% Complete Optical Isolation from the Mains. Only when the Super Capacitors need charging will the Mains kick in (few minutes). So it's convenient that you never need to plug and unplug. Just 24/7 goodness.

meanwell.jpg

I'll report back how the Summer Project works out on the Hugo₂. I don't think I'm ready to experiment with 2X3.7V for another few years. I don't have a Qutest so I cannot try out 5V with 1500 of Farad goodness. But if had a Quest that's what I would be doing. 1500F Pure Super Capacitors -> 20-22G Neotech Silver/Cooper Solid Core -> USB-B -> Qutest. Good luck, check back in six weeks.

Besides the Performance Benefits of Solid Core, I believe RFI/EMI has difficulty penetrating and absorbing since it's Solid. Traditional wiring it's easy to seep in and get into difficult places.

My best moments were:

-as a last thing, which I did not expect so strong, switching to lithium battery to power Lumin and M Scaler.:thinking:

Then using the cables from the battery to the two electronics with the Neotech Up OCC Silver cables i had a further increase in depth, soundstage and unimaginable timing.:stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/your-biggest-wow-moments-in-summit-fi.961421/post-16860919

So I use Solid Core everywhere for Power and USB, optical cabling otherwise. Not for CIEMs though. I'm already using the best CIEM cabling ever, so I can't justify Solid Core due to rigidity.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #6,353 of 6,752
I need some advice regarding upgrading lps. Like some I don’t believe in paying 700 , 1000 euro or 4000 euro on a psu.

Not that it does not matter, but my honest opinion I think they are overcharging and everyone in audiophile world are helping those overcharging companies.

But back to subject

Beeing someone looking for a best bang for the buck

Which of the two psu’s are the better choice for the qutest? Sbooster or the nicely priced allo Shanti.

Did someone compared those? And did they make a lot of difference between them or just a little percentage wise?

Jun 17, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #6,354 of 6,752
I need some advice regarding upgrading lps. Like some I don’t believe in paying 700 , 1000 euro or 4000 euro on a psu.

Not that it does not matter, but my honest opinion I think they are overcharging and everyone in audiophile world are helping those overcharging companies.

But back to subject

Which of the two psu’s are the better choice for the qutest? Sbooster or the nicely priced allo Shanti.

Did someone compared those? And did they make a lot of difference between them or just a little percentage wise?
Just get an Ifi PowerX and be done with it. $100 and to me sounds amazing.

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #6,356 of 6,752

But back to subject

I have ordered a power bank to see what benefits if any I will yield from it. This power bank can be used to start car engines so I guess it should last for a while with Qutest and the cost was 70eur. When Qutest is fed with good source it is a very good performer, but now it's fed directly from laptopt and I know it's not the same as I was used to it. Leaner, more aggressive sound points to the same issues that I've experienced before.

https://www.technoland.com.pl/dedra-powerbank-z-funkcja-rozruchu-silnika-12000ma,3,15123,24114

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #6,357 of 6,752
I have ordered a power bank to see what benefits if any I will yield from it. This power bank can be used to start car engines so I guess it should last for a while with Qutest and the cost was 70eur. When Qutest is fed with good source it is a very good performer, but now it's fed directly from laptopt and I know it's not the same as I was used to it. Leaner, more aggressive sound points to the same issues that I've experienced before.

https://www.technoland.com.pl/dedra-powerbank-z-funkcja-rozruchu-silnika-12000ma,3,15123,24114

I would avoid switching units as their output can be noisy. Then again nonswitching 5v is non existent.

I wonder what the minimum voltage is Qutest takes as it does DC-DC conversion internally.
I sold my Qutest so cant test it.

It might be a good idea to make a clean 4x1.2v cell (4.8v) battery.

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #6,358 of 6,752
I would avoid switching units as their output can be noisy. Then again nonswitching 5v is non existent.

I wonder what the minimum voltage is Qutest takes as it does DC-DC conversion internally.
I sold my Qutest so cant test it.

It might be a good idea to make a clean 4x1.2v cell (4.8v) battery.
Is it though as the source is battery ? I will be able to test Zen stream + Qutest both being powered up from this battery source. I know I'm leaving things on the table now as back home sound is better once plugged through Denafrips Iris DDC. Here I do have gustard U18 DDC, but I'm not convinced that I reach the same level as with IRIS. Best course would be to ditch my laptop, but it's just so convenient and I'm worried to end up with multiple boxes again which makes difficult to relocate if needed. Plus good streamer costs decent amount of $$$$. Was eyeing on all in one solution "Unity Atom HE", but after auditioning it happy that did not pull the trigger there. Qutest -> Luxman P1U gives way better performance to my ears

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #6,359 of 6,752
Hello to everyone,

Need some advice, please give it freely 🥳,

Am picking up a Wells Audio Milo next week from Jeff... it's a single-ended amp with XLR added for flexibility. Was set on getting a Qutest as a smallish (desktop) DAC to go along with it. HP = LCD-4. But after reading a few of the reviews, am a bit nervous -> some say fatiguing & lean. Not interested in an additional power supply. Guess I could go with schiit bifrost 2/64. might be a better option? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #6,360 of 6,752
Hello to everyone,

Need some advice, please give it freely 🥳,

Am picking up a Wells Audio Milo next week from Jeff... it's a single-ended amp with XLR added for flexibility. Was set on getting a Qutest as a smallish (desktop) DAC to go along with it. But after reading a few of the reviews, am a bit nervous -> some say fatiguing & lean. Not interested in an external psu. Guess I could go with schiit bifrost 2/64. might be a better option? What are your thoughts? Thanks!
I know listening to music is always personal and subjective, but I never experience the qutest as fatiguing. And I am using the included psu. I listen with a hifiman arya stealth and soloist gt which by some seem to be bright. I only hear beautifully musical.

It also depends on what music you are listening to. I mainly listen to jazz/blues and classical and now and then some pop.

I have no experience with the bifrost (but read good stories about it)

Maybe someone hear had the possibility to compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back