Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #7,142 of 22,537
you will love black h2. so sophisticated compared to silver in my opinion.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #7,144 of 22,537
im a postgrad. left those young undergrads behind me long time ago. lol

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #7,145 of 22,537
FYI.. My system received an update from Tidal over night which seems to have fixed the "exclusive mode" issue w/ the Hugo 2.

I'm now on the following version..
2.1.10.314 (W: 2.3.6--8) (NP: 2.4.2)

I'd "check for updates" in Tidal and then compare your version. There's always a chance that we'll be on different firmware levels based on OS and other hardware variables so it's not a guaranteed fix for all Mac/Hugo users.

Here's my MacOS and HW info for reference....

I too got the update and yes it seems to have fixed the problem

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #7,146 of 22,537
I'm pretty sure a poor usb cable could impact sq if it picks up rfi due to poor shielding and injects that into the dac. that's why i only buy usb-if certified usb cables to make sure this possibility is minimised.

i don't think jitter from usb cable is an issue with rob's dac designs.

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #7,147 of 22,537
at the end of the day there can never be total agreement on usb "tweaks" for H2. i prefer to keep the path as simple and direct as possible. pcusb-h2. let h2 do its job without interference. it has important missions to complete.:levitate::levitate::levitate:

My USB tweak is simply using the iPad Pro rather than my MBP with the Hugo 1.

Best is to fix it at the source imo.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #7,148 of 22,537
I'm pretty sure a poor usb cable could impact sq if it picks up rfi due to poor shielding and injects that into the dac. that's why i only buy usb-if certified usb cables to make sure this possibility is minimised.

i don't think jitter from usb cable is an issue with rob's dac designs.

You could also ask Hooster, who IIRC uses silver cables.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #7,149 of 22,537
to be honest all of my efforts and time and money are for a major headphone upgrade later this year. mr speakers aeon or focal elear. the forest cable is doing its job i've forgotten it.

its not black paint. the black is much smarter than silver i have it. nothing will chip off lol. the black is anodised aluminium too.

Good for you, we have to prioritize. There are a lot of things I need to spend money on these days, now that I am a householder. Mortgage, insurance, health, education, retirement, transport, etc. I am curious, how many % of your household budget you allocate for hobbies like hi-fi. Sorry to be nosy, feel free not to reply. I try to keep it below 3% or so.

I agree about the black paint. I think it looks cooler than silver, as long as you accept the slightly darker sound :).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #7,150 of 22,537
You could also ask Hooster, who IIRC uses silver cables.

I don't actually use a silver USB cable. I did on the other hand just get a silver plated Nordost power cable for the amplifier that I use for my speaker system. I have no idea how it does it, but it sure makes a difference for the sound quality, for the better. I also use silver plated speaker cables and I can't complain about them. I do however have copper OCC Furukawa speaker cables incoming and I will let you know how they sound compared to the silver plated ones if anyone is interested.

At the end of the day it is just a hobby. Trying different cables is fun, and if you can improve the SQ, great.

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #7,152 of 22,537
(i'm assuming here that a lack of galvanic isolation could result and contribute to an increase in measured jitter i may need correcting here as my knowledge is basic.)

Galvanic isolation will not correct jitter. It isolates electrical noise. Two different things.

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #7,153 of 22,537
DSCF5565.JPG
Got this today. It's a touch small in one dimension for the Hugo, but otherwise it is perfect. I do have a Peak Design Field Pouch as an earlier poster enjoyed with his Hugo 2, but it's a little big and doesn't quite fit the part, I feel. As for the leather ones, I think I'd rather let the chassis dissipate heat. I just want something to protect it in my bag.

It took me a while to find something on Amazon that was sized so well for the Hugo. This thing even matches my charcoal Peak Design stuff pretty well :)

ProCase Felt Storage Case Bag Accessories Organizer for MacBook Laptop Mouse Power Adapter Cables Computer Electronics Cellphone Accessories Charger SSD HHD -Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I47TFLU

Oh, and since I got my Hugo 2 a few days ago, I've been truly delighted with it via my Xelentos, HD600, Sierra-2 bookshelf speakers, and others. LCD-i4 arrives on Thursday :>

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #7,154 of 22,537
Got this today. It's a touch small in one dimension for the Hugo, but otherwise it is perfect. I do have a Peak Design Field Pouch as an earlier poster enjoyed with his Hugo 2, but it's a little big and doesn't quite fit the part, I feel. As for the leather ones, I think I'd rather let the chassis dissipate heat. I just want something to protect it in my bag.

It took me a while to find something on Amazon that was sized so well for the Hugo. This thing even matches my charcoal Peak Design stuff pretty well :)

ProCase Felt Storage Case Bag Accessories Organizer for MacBook Laptop Mouse Power Adapter Cables Computer Electronics Cellphone Accessories Charger SSD HHD -Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I47TFLU

Oh, and since I got my Hugo 2 a few days ago, I've been truly delighted with it via my Xelentos, HD600, Sierra-2 bookshelf speakers, and others. LCD-i4 arrives on Thursday :>

yeah this looks like what i need. i just want to be able to throw it in my bag without fear! i am still using the box it came in to transport my H2 to and from work every day.

agreed that the leather cases seem to potentially cause a heat issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back