Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,091 of 22,546

Well it's only two months at most. Besides I'd rather have a product deemed fit for release by the engineers rather than a product deemed fit for release because it meets the schedule of the marketing department.

No no no..no no. This product or any product should be deemed fit for release by engineers well before a manufacturer starts talking about release dates publicly. That way if there's any issues they get fixed before customers who pre-order and in my case pre PAY get dates pushed back on them. That's crap I'm sorry. Now I did read from a Rob post that it's out of Chord's hands and now a distributor problem, but what does that have to do with me or us as customers that paid to have our product in a time frame we were promised? I think those of us who had faith in this company and product enough to preorder off reading words alone on here deserve some sort of compensation. A small discount..a free case..discount on future products..Chord t-shirt..something. I didn't choose this faulty distributor, but now I'm waiting almost 3 months longer than originally promised and that's lame. Still love Chord and the passion put into this stuff but a simple "Hey it's out of our hands" isn't enough. Anyway, sorry guys I'm usually pretty positive in these threads but I'm super bummed about this June mess.

I'm an idiot; can't look away even for a day.  I am excited to get the H2, and expected to have it in my hands within a couple of weeks.  But, I waited for almost a year for my Questyle DAP, so I can wait a couple of months.  That's what Irish Mist is for.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #3,092 of 22,546
i'm finding most micro usb cables (apart from audioquest) are advertised for charging and synching data etc. could someone let me know if the following cable is ok for computer to hugo 2. i will use this with a battery powered macbook air till i do proper galvanic isolation on my imac. cheers mk.

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/oehlbach-xxl-iconnect-umbu-usb-to-micro-b-cable-1m-p-8154.html#.WPrIUInyvXR

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #3,093 of 22,546
  i'm finding most micro usb cables (apart from audioquest) are advertised for charging and synching data etc. could someone let me know if the following cable is ok for computer to hugo 2. i will use this with a battery powered macbook air till i do proper galvanic isolation on my imac. cheers mk.

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/oehlbach-xxl-iconnect-umbu-usb-to-micro-b-cable-1m-p-8154.html#.WPrIUInyvXR

Seems good. I would not hesitate. I got the Supra USB A to USB micro.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #3,094 of 22,546

It looks like a nice cable, but for that price it should be. There is also a 30 year warranty!

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #3,096 of 22,546
To slaphead, sorry mate can't find one of your threads but say someone bought a state of the art studio what do they record it too, rather than reel to reel would they record the music on a disc or could it be a hard drive? I also don't understand what a eight or sixteen track means, is that say fifteen instruments being recorded separately and one for the vocals

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #3,099 of 22,546
I also don't understand what a eight or sixteen track means, is that say fifteen instruments being recorded separately and one for the vocals

@Slaphead can give you the best answer about how recording is done in practice, but I think that you are starting to visualise the concept.

Getting recording artists together to produce the original 'tracks' can be costly (imagine a recording combining 100 musicians, plus a large choir) so you would want to record as much data as you can on the day, and then you can edit the data 'at leisure' so to speak.

For a studio recording you could want one track per instrument, plus one per vocalist, and then you can add effects such as echo to each track individually, before you finally condense everything into one stereo mix. Also remember that for some albums, the instruments are recorded on one day, and the vocalists on other days, so in those cases you will want multiple tracks.

For orchestral recordings, the engineer may want to record enough tracks, so that the overall performance can be edited into various mixes, 5.1, 2.1, stereo etc - and this may require multiple microphones in several locations, with each recorded to a separate track.

So there are several reasons/needs why a recording engineer could want to use multiple tracks - Slaphead is the expert regarding the practicality of satisfying those needs.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,100 of 22,546

Paul,

any verification about end of April from Chord??

I initially had an email from my dealer stating Apr 7th, then on the 8th I received the email stating that the Hugo 2 was out of stock and delayed.

The next email stated Apr 28th, so I am nervously expecting an email on the 29th stating out of stock and delayed.

Like many others on this thread, I shall be delighted to have my fears proved wrong. 
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #3,101 of 22,546
@Slaphead
 can give you the best answer about how recording is done in practice, but I think that you are starting to visualise the concept.

Getting recording artists together to produce the original 'tracks' can be costly (imagine a recording combining 100 musicians, plus a large choir) so you would want to record as much data as you can on the day, and then you can edit the data 'at leisure' so to speak.

For a studio recording you could want one track per instrument, plus one per vocalist, and then you can add effects such as echo to each track individually, before you finally condense everything into one stereo mix. Also remember that for some albums, the instruments are recorded on one day, and the vocalists on other days, so in those cases you will want multiple tracks.

For orchestral recordings, the engineer may want to record enough tracks, so that the overall performance can be edited into various mixes, 5.1, 2.1, stereo etc - and this may require multiple microphones in several locations, with each recorded to a separate track.

So there are several reasons/needs why a recording engineer could want to use multiple tracks - Slaphead is the expert regarding the practicality of satisfying those needs.
Mike that's brilliant mate thank you,probably get laughed at for asking this one but why do artists when singing live wear i.e.m s ? is it so they are hearing their own voice or is it the band as in the music?

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #3,102 of 22,546
Mike that's brilliant mate thank you,probably get laughed at for asking this one but why do artists when singing live wear i.e.m s ? is it so they are hearing their own voice or is it the band as in the music?

There will be several reasons:
  • Most importantly to protect their hearing when performing live
  • To be able to pick out their own voice/instrument from the wall of sound heard by the audience
  • maybe also receive messages from the sound mixing desk as well

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #3,103 of 22,546
No no no..no no. This product or any product should be deemed fit for release by engineers well before a manufacturer starts talking about release dates publicly. That way if there's any issues they get fixed before customers who pre-order and in my case pre PAY get dates pushed back on them. That's crap I'm sorry. Now I did read from a Rob post that it's out of Chord's hands and now a distributor problem, but what does that have to do with me or us as customers that paid to have our product in a time frame we were promised? I think those of us who had faith in this company and product enough to preorder off reading words alone on here deserve some sort of compensation. A small discount..a free case..discount on future products..Chord t-shirt..something. I didn't choose this faulty distributor, but now I'm waiting almost 3 months longer than originally promised and that's lame. Still love Chord and the passion put into this stuff but a simple "Hey it's out of our hands" isn't enough. Anyway, sorry guys I'm usually pretty positive in these threads but I'm super bummed about this June mess.

Well, waiting a bit more wouldn't really kill anyone. Like you, I am very eager to get my hands on the Hugo 2, but I also understand that the massive preorder success could have caused some issues with the manufacturing and distribution processes. I just hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,105 of 22,546

I just hope for the best, but expect the worst.

This is my current mindset; I have de-hyped Hugo 2 due to all these delays and will only re-hype myself after Hugo 2 hits the local dealers and ships out. Otherwise, I'm basically asking to be disappointed..

I think every one here who has ordered, pre ordered, or plans to order, knows exactly what you are feeling. 

Can we call it,  Hugo2 burn out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back