Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #22,401 of 22,528
what was problem for you with 2go ?
I didn't really have any issues with streaming, aside from the weak connection on Roon when moving from room to room. But I'm really a local library user and I found the x2 SDCard feature of the 2Go basically useless because one has to manually switch between cards. I also never really got onboard with the various BubbleUPNP types of software one has to use in conjunction with 2Go. If there was some kind of 2Go update where both SDcard were integrated into the same library and the user experience and reliability of the UPNP apps were improved, I might jump back in. Until then, I prefer a toslink'd DAP direct to Hugo 2.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #22,402 of 22,528
How does one get a Lotoo PAW 5000MK2. All I see is some Chinese version available for purchase.

I wonder if I can change the firmware on those. Seems they don't have a language changing option.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #22,403 of 22,528
How does one get a Lotoo PAW 5000MK2. All I see is some Chinese version available for purchase.

I wonder if I can change the firmware on those. Seems they don't have a language changing option.
Drop my guy Andi a line here - https://kopfhoererboutique.com/products/lotoo-paw-5000-mk2

Yes, they were updating FW as recently as 2023 (http://lotoo.cn/english/bottom/Service/Download/Hi_Fi_Music_Player/2020/0428/82.html)

Lotoo tend to maintain their older items unlike numerous other companies. FW is in English.

Let me also add - without wishing to shill - it's a very decent sounding player on its own terms. The synergy with IE600/IE900 is quite special.

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #22,404 of 22,528
Nice to see the Hugo₂ still going strong. It is a timeless device. Maybe premature at this time, but it should be another Chord Legend over time when all is said and done.

It's great to see also so many Mastering Professionals use the Hugo₂ and DAVE as their workhorses. No HugoTT₂ as that is more consumer-oriented. It seems the Hugo₂ is still the closest thing to a DAVE in 2024.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/professional

My Summer Project goal this year is to finally attempt my hand at a Hugo₂TT. The HugoTT and Hugo₁ was before my time but I started researching those threads and didn't realise their was another life before the Hugo₂. It seems worthwhile as even the official Chord stance was a 10% improvement in the HugoTT by adding Supercapacitors to the Hugo₁. I don't expect anything major because of PSU improvements learned from the HugoTT was likely applied to the Hugo₂. I use Supercapacitors out of convenience as I can leave them on 24/7 without worries and have about a million cycles. So it's a durable, dependable, of great value and offers super super low impedance for dynamic currents. It's like having a Nuclear Power Plant (Super Clean) 24/7 at your disposal so why go back to a Coal Plant (Semi Clean) where you have to manually manage Coal?

So I'm going to take the Battery replacement route to the extreme. I want nothing to do with 5V and desktop mode anymore so I'm forever bypassing the 5V charging circuit default route. I happened to unintentionally unlocked a higher level Galvanic Isolation for my Hugo₂ which gave me inspiration to scale the Power Supply. Regular Galvanic Isolation has leaks in their game, my Galvanic Isolation is 100% isolated. I didn't know the impact Galvanic Isolation made in my chain until it unlocked Soundstage Depth. It has that 10th row effect versus 1st row Rob Watts mentions every now and then, but these impressions are based solely on the Chord Summit-Fi products. But by applying Galvanic Isolation to the Hugo₂, you can get close the Soundstage Depth offered in those other Chord Summit-Fi products. Because their were compromises to be made for portability, Hugo₂ was excluded from Galvanic Isolation because it draws power and of course Supercacitors on the go doesn't make sense. There are some Supercapcitor hacks out there, but they are not clean implementations. For example, supercaps need balancing otherwise the voltage will fluctuate all over the place. I don't use any one-off hack solutions, only battle-tested solutions. Now that I'm exclusively Table Top and it's time to fulfill my Battery Replacement Arc, I'm pursuing a Table Top Hugo₂. Pure Galvanic Isolation has got to be top 2 in pure enjoyment since procuring the Hugo₂ at launch. It allows me to be one of the few in the world to Game with Soundstage Depth.

Basically, HugoTT used the same Hugo₁ PCB but with Supercacitor power, a better reference PSU chain, double the battery power and had Galvanic isolation. For these extra features, HugoTT was priced at about 4800 bucks while Hugo₁ was around 2500 bucks. The range of impressions differ, but most consider the HugoTT a big improvement over the Hugo₁. I can see that now after experiencing Galvanic Isolation. Price-wise, I value Galvanic Isolation at about +1500 bucks for my Hugo₂. It's that much of a improvement and I highly value. So much that I will never go to a Mojo₂ after experiencing this level of stage. Like Rob Watts mentions, you get use to a certain performance level it's difficult to downgrade. Supercaps remains to be seen, but I don't expect dramatic improvements in SQ especially since I only run highly-efficient Professional Reference CIEMs. It may make a bigger difference in headphones and speakers since dynamic current draws will now draw directly from Supercaps super super low impedance. But it's nice to know the dynamic power is there if things work out.

As for Hugo₃, I'll pass. By that time I can pick up a used Hugo₂ for less than a 1000 bucks instead for 4-5 dimes for a Hugo₃. I can mod the Hugo₂ to my heart's content and allocate separate Hugo₂ for Gaming tasks, next to bed tasks, office tasks and outdoor smoke break tasks. The Hugo₂ is already a dream with Galvanic Isolation. As the rational ones say, diminishing returns. But I have seen many that don't know how to optimise their Hugo₂ chain end up going to the Mojo₂ or upgrade to Summit-Fi or wish for a Hugo₃ or even leave Chord. Their sources are super weak so the grass it not going to be greener with other brands if you can't even source or chain properly. It makes sense for those that don't know to optimise to keep chasing or to downgrade to Mojo₂ which is more align to their weak sources or chains. But Hugo₂ is Goldilocks of price performance where I respect chain choices and their is an open-mindness here not found in the other Chord threads where you are bombarded by shills. I don't respect any Summit-Fi chains as they are full of RFI and 75% of Mojo₂ don't even seem to be running bit-perfect. They don't apply much logic in those other threads. I'm heavily disappointed in Chord Summit-Fi as they are suppose to lead the way, but they configure their chains like a Mojo user. I expect Summit-Fi chains to be fundamentally sound, but their chains are all hype. Their chains are configured for $4 Off-the-shelf OEM DAC chips. They don't adjust to the modern subtlety that is needed. I'm happy to be in the Goldilocks middle ground where I can experiment and don't have to get in a spending contest in order to gain clout. For many, getting in a spending contest with themselves or others is their only way of fulfillment.

Right now, I'm using quadruple the battery power of the Hugo₂ so I get about 30 hours of play between charges. I'm hoping the Hugo₂ inherited the reference PSU chain of the HugoTT. I crossed off Galvanic isolation already so this Summer I just have to add Supercapacitors to make this a reality. I'm 3/4 of the way there, just need to plan for the Summer Project.

I'm hoping to phase out the Hugo₂ (R.I.P. 2017-2024) and unlock Hugo₂TT. That is the plan, but not guaranteed it will happen or even work. I unlocked quadruple the Battery Power so that is a decent step thus far. Unlocking Galvanic Isolation was core, supercaps icing.

Crossing fingers it will become a 10-element, 49K Taps Hugo₂TT this Summer without the Mojo warmness of the HugoTT. Super Transparent with the ability to handle super dynamic swings.

ChordHugoHugoTT-06w.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #22,405 of 22,528
Last time I had my Hugo 2 open I made measurements of the original Chord Electronics batteries. (The batteries that shipped with my Hugo 2.) The 18650 batteries come in different diameters so you need to know the diameter of the batteries you can fit. Bear in mind that the fitted Hugo batteries leave no space. They make an indent in the pad on the top cover of the Hugo 2.

Below is my finding having used a digital electronic caliper. (It was only a £10 from Amazon though, but it seems accurate. Maybe should have bought a quality one since I use it quite a bit.)

XH 2.54 plug (I think this is the plug that fits the Hugo 2 board.)
my battery 68mm (length)
gap on Hugo 2 board 72mm (length)
diameter 18.4mm - battery does make an indent in the pad on the top of the Hugo 2. (However it might fit an 18.5mm diameter battery.)
E.g. there is a 19.1mm on Farnell, at 3500mAh. That would not fit.

Enix Energies - MLG 9051 - the battery in the Hugo 2 in the HiFi World review.
Nominal voltage 3.73V
Nominal Capacity 3.0Ah
Nominal Energy 11.25Wh
Max Continuous discharge current ??
Charge voltage 4.2V
Max Charge Current 1.6A. Looks like 1.6A but I can't see it clearly.

Enix Energies - MLG 9015 - the battery in Hugo 2 without the XH 2.54 plug
18.6mm diamter x 68.5mm.
Nominal voltage 3.6V
Nominal Capacity 2.6Ah
Nominal Energy 9.6Wh
Charge voltage 4.2V
Max Charge Current 2.5A (Actually said 1.6A on a picture of the battery.) Says this on the Enix Energies website. (Li-Ion battery NX 1S1P ICR18650-26J + PCM (9.36Wh) UN38.3 3.6V 2.6Ah.)

The blue battery in my Hugo 2.
PNCRBF18650-1S1P
Nominal voltage 3.6V
Nominal Capacity 3.35Ah
Nominal Energy 12.06Wh
Charge voltage 4.2V (A guess)
Max Charge Current 2.5A (A guess)

Many thanks for your early teardown of the Hugo₂. It helped me to architect over the years on the possibilities once I needed to go the Battery Replacement Route.

I ended up going with eight Panasonic PNCRBF18650 for 2024. Beyond 2024, my long-term plan is pure supercapacitors at a little over 10,000 Farads.

My backup plan is to use the same Powerstor Aerogel supercapacitors used in the HugoTT powered by multiple Panasonics. I'm running eight Panasonics now (30 hours between charges), but it should scale to hundreds of Panasonics if needed (Months between charging).

I moved on from hybrids (Battery + Supercapacitor) and focus on pure supercacitors as they are the best power supplies in the world for Audio applications. Not to mention are a great value. So I will attempt pure supercaps first and fallback on Panasonics + Powerstor Aerogels.

But without your early teardown, I don't know if I would of conceived of this possibility at this late stage in the game.

I'm happy with just scaling Panasonics as I see 5V as a bottleneck, but it was always a dream to get a sense of the HugoTT since I missed that Arc. I see random updated posts on the HugoTT and Hugo₁ threads and they all seem very content besides battery replacement issues. I wanted to mod a Hugo₁ with modern Passive Power Supplies, but no remote control is a dealbreaker. Good value though at 500 bucks. I'd rather mod a Hugo₁ to try to evolve it into a HugoTT than to pursue a Hugo₃.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #22,406 of 22,528
Back where I started: Hugo 2. Bought again for at least the 3rd time, maybe the 4th. I bought new this time and will be keeping until Hugo 3 comes out in 2032. Going toslink this time after my last 2Go experience. Lotoo PAW D1 for desktop and Lotoo PAW 5000MK2 for portable, with its dedicated toslink output. That's it; ending where I began.

1000063.jpg1000055.jpg
That’s a really nice travel case for the Hugo. Do you happen to have a link?

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #22,409 of 22,528
an implementations. For example, supercaps need balancing otherwise the voltage will fluctuate all over the place. I don't use any one-off hack solutions, only battle-tested solutions. Now that I'm exclusively Table Top and it's time to fulfill my Battery Replacement Arc, I'm pursuing a Table Top Hugo₂. Pure Galvanic Isolation has got to be top 2 in pure enjoyment since procuring the Hugo₂ at launch. It allows me to be one of the few in the world to Game with Soundstage Depth.

How much to mod my hugo2 for galvanic isolation? thx

Feb 26, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #22,410 of 22,528
How much to mod my hugo2 for galvanic isolation? thx

Because there are risks involved, I'm not trying to encourage anyone quite yet. I'm just trying to give a big picture overview of my thought process and set some goals for the Summer. Since I have zero energy for this hobby anymore, by setting goals it give me motivation to proceed and to allocate/reserve energy. I'm just planning my "riding off into the sunset" rig.

I definitively would not survive another Hugo Arc, or an upcoming Hugo₃ Arc so I focus all my energy on the Hugo₂. The Hugo₂ is a amazing gem and when unshackled from portable comprises, it can compete with the Summit-Fi Big Boys. I might survive a HMS₂ Arc though now that I know how to properly passively power an HMS. 4 million Taps does give me extra motivation.

Because there are robust Passive Power Supplies involved, it will run about $500. Less if a Battery Pack is used as the Galvanic Isolation Power Supply, but I doubt the performance will be there plus the hassle of charging the Battery Pack.

The A18* is part of my "riding off into the sunset" plan along with a 16-wire CIEM cable. I only use WBT RCA connectors and Official Estron connectors, but now that I have Soundstage Depth I really like to put the A18* through its paces for Gaming.

Just the thought of the enormous bandwidth you can only get with WBT RCA feeding Soundstage Depth via the 16-wire into the A18* gives me goosebumps.

bandwidth.png

Super low impedance on the WBT:

specs.png

But for now, I'm not comfortable recommending robust power supplies yet due to the risks. I need to consider the cons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back