CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #25,081 of 25,991
You could be right. Maybe Hans has lost quite a bit of hearing in the higher frequency. I'm curious to hear it myself.
Listen to it, you'll hear what I'm talking about. It is not a bad product at all, I am just used to that attack and visceral aggressiveness Rob presents and that crazy depth and edge and instrument variation, live music is like that.

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #25,082 of 25,991
Dec 2, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #25,084 of 25,991
does anyone use RCA to XLR cable for Dave and a Balanced amp for the best of both worlds?
Also going over -3 db would affect sound quality? say 0db.
I wouldnt do that as your are probably binding your amp's inverted signal pin to ground and possibly earth. Unless your amp has a single ended mode option by means of a switch.

If your amp has a RCA SE input, use those with Dave.

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #25,085 of 25,991
I wouldnt do that as your are probably binding your amp's inverted signal pin to ground and possibly earth. Unless your amp has a single ended mode option by means of a switch.

If your amp has a RCA SE input, use those with Dave.
all my searches point out that RCA to XLR is as safe as RCA to RCA, the only caveat is it will bring an unbalanced signal.
I plugged in and have been comparing RCA-XLR vs XLR-XLR and when I volume match, it sounds much better, especially in clarity and detail.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #25,086 of 25,991
Listen to it, you'll hear what I'm talking about. It is not a bad product at all, I am just used to that attack and visceral aggressiveness Rob presents and that crazy depth and edge and instrument variation, live music is like that.
I was very much interested in Mu1 and now MU2. Looking forward to your comparison to Dave! However, now that Roon is sold I would be very cautious buying a product that solely relies on Roon. I hope that Grimm hasn’t shot themselves in the foot.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #25,088 of 25,991
I was very much interested in Mu1 and now MU2. Looking forward to your comparison to Dave! However, now that Roon is sold I would be very cautious buying a product that solely relies on Roon. I hope that Grimm hasn’t shot themselves in the foot.
Wait, Roon was sold to another company? Can you explain what you mean?

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #25,090 of 25,991
Never mind I just saw it was acquired by Harman, oh no. These big companies destroy whatever they touch, this is bad news.
Another reason why i love having my music on file and backed up.. it cant be taken and wont change

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #25,093 of 25,991
Mr Watts .... my dear sir --- my dear, dear sir ...
Please comment on the importance (or non-importance) of conducting square-wave tests, especially over >1k. Say, 12k.
See:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/quality-lies-details-page-3
https://www.stereophile.com/content/musical-fidelity-x-24k-da-processor-measurements

My DACs will always show a square wave as the ideal bandwidth limited square wave - that is with ringing and overshoot, without clipping, as it's important that the ringing and Gibbs phenomena is preserved. The lack of clipping is simply down to including an appropriate overhead in the digital filter to accommodate Gibbs.

You can see bandwidth limited square waves and read about Gibbs phenomena here.

If a DAC does not reproduce ringing with square waves then it is seriously faulty, as the interpolation filter is not bandwidth limiting. This will have severe SQ problems, as transient timing will have gross errors.

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #25,094 of 25,991
My DACs will always show a square wave as the ideal bandwidth limited square wave - that is with ringing and overshoot, without clipping, as it's important that the ringing and Gibbs phenomena is preserved. The lack of clipping is simply down to including an appropriate overhead in the digital filter to accommodate Gibbs.

You can see bandwidth limited square waves and read about Gibbs phenomena here.

If a DAC does not reproduce ringing with square waves then it is seriously faulty, as the interpolation filter is not bandwidth limiting. This will have severe SQ problems, as transient timing will have gross errors.
I've listened to a few of these DACs recently Rob, the transient accuracy is so bad it all sounds like overly-liquidy overly-soft syrupy disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back