CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 12, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #14,521 of 25,992
One of the top recommendations at the moment is the Sablon Audio 2020 USB cable. I had the original Curious Link cable, which was bettered by both the original Lush (warm, a little soft, but more soul) and my preferred Sablon Reserva Elite (a little cooler with more detail, low noIse, a little less soul). The Lush^2 then bettered the original Lush (still a little warm but with more detail and less noise) and made it harder for me to decide between that and the Sablon. Then very recently Mark Coles of Sablon Audio released a 2020 update to his USB cable, which is in another league. Noise is further reduced so that you can hear more - better defined bass and clear fatigue-free treble, quite neutral.

Mark hasn’t updated his website to include the 2020 cable but you can get more info from him at sablonaudio@gmail.com. You can read what others think of this cable at https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/sablon-usb-cable-2020-model.29912/page-5
We have a winner! The cable is actually Magically Majestic! I thought I might end up with buyers remorse but I am extremely happy and I appreciate the advice you gave.

May 14, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #14,525 of 25,992
RoonShareImage-637250608366482610.png

My M-Scaler just arrived and it took the Dave to the next level. No negatives and only substantial improvements. It did wonders to the soundstage on Agnus Dei from the above album.

May 15, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #14,526 of 25,992
On the subject of USB Cables I have tried all the following and even bought a number of them 1) Chord Electronics free USB cable, 2) Chord Sarum T, 3) Supra USB, 4) Tellurium Q top line USB cable, 5) Synergistic Research 2nd top of line USB, 6) Vertere Pulse HB USB, 7) Danacable Trustream, 8) Mad Scientist Black Magic USB, 9) Final Touch Audio Callisto

Bear in mind I am not connecting my USB cable to the Dave, I am connecting to the Blu MkII M Scaler which connects to my Dave via Dual Coaxial.

All USB cables affected my overall sound but the two I most favoured for my system were 8 & 9. I currently use 9 not because I would say it is particularly better than 8 (both are exceptional imo) but it is a better fit for the sound of my speakers which are a little bass light. The Black Magic adds a little upper bass and definitely adds presence which I like but do not need with my current speakers. The Callisto gives me more bass, thicker mids and sweeter top end and more importantly is just a little better at closing the gap to a linear frequency band in my system. The callisto has great 'weight' imo. The lower mids are well represented. This became more apparent to me as I improved my electrics with superior cables and fuses.

I have been on a 'no cost-barrier' crusade for the last 18 months to take my system to a higher level. I was confident my Dave and M Scaler had more to give and they did. This started with a new Power amp progressed with acoustic room treatment, new cables (digital, analogue and electrical), Grounding Block and even Synergistic research HFT's and ATM.

The thing about the latter 'passive' room treatments from SR is that they do not add, they subtract the room noise that is interfering with your linear frequency band and believe me it is interfering until you do something about it. The crap that is going on in our rooms when music is playing is horrendous. Eventually if you address this you are left with a true representation of the output of your system, so be careful what you wish for! :frowning2:

For instance I used to like my Danacable but when I paired everything down to the bare bones sound coming out of my speakers it became clear to me that there was a tiring high frequency prominence with this cable not unlike ringing. So the moral of the story here is that cables should be used to balance your system imo but the better you get it the more it will make you critical. A Green SR ATM placed between my speakers on the mantle shelf was the final piece of the jigsaw for me. As close to a perfect frequency/tone balance when using the Callisto USB on my system.

I think for me the overall goal is trying to achieve the most linear frequency balance when choosing cables for my system. When compromised, the dynamics do not deliver for the majority of my music collection and if the dynamics are then compromised on the linear frequency scale so in the drama and musicality for a big chunk of my library. There are some great cables out there and I will not be selling my Black Magic USB or Townshend Interconnects and speaker cables even though I don't currently use them. If I ever change my speakers I may need them. Its all about balance imo.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #14,527 of 25,992
One other take away from this process I found was to never judge a cable without first doing everything possible to ensure the minimum of vibration in the cable. Some flexible cables can be slightly fuzzy in their images as a result of simple vibration but once stabilized they can show they have the beating of others. This is true of the Callisto. I just had to use a little ingenuity to get the best from it.

EDIT:
Here is what I did. Small plastic box placed under the cable to reduce vibration before it goes into the M Scaler. This improved image stability.
Hifi.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #14,528 of 25,992
Thank you for the note.

I have not yet tried it with my Chord TT2, but that is a good suggestion (thank you)

When going to DSD512, my CPU is below 10% (Xeon processors). Stepping down the filters to less CPU intensive ones doesn't change things (HQP says DSD512, DAVE says DSD512, but no music plays). Everything is fine when set to 44.1k x 256 (vs 44.1k x 512).

I'm fairly ignorant on the Windows side (and with the Chord ASIO driver), so I'm hoping it is something simple to get things going (and to make sure that I have the ASIO driver setup properly)

Does anyone know if there is a ASIO control panel for the Chord ASIO driver? (I'm not finding one) Also, before I chase this rabbit too much further, has anyone gotten DSD512 to work with HQPlayer Desktop on Windows with the Chord ASIO driver to DAVE?

A quick update to answer my own question for posterity.

I sourced some DSD512 files, and I had the same issue playing them direct to DAVE (DAVE shows DSD512, but no audio comes out). When I switched the mode from PCM+ to DSD+, everything works as expected.

My take away is that to play DSD512 content, you need to have DAVE in DSD+ mode (with PCM+ limited to DSD256)

May 15, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #14,529 of 25,992
On the subject of USB Cables I have tried all the following and even bought a number of them 1) Chord Electronics free USB cable, 2) Chord Sarum T, 3) Supra USB, 4) Tellurium Q top line USB cable, 5) Synergistic Research 2nd top of line USB, 6) Vertere Pulse HB USB, 7) Danacable Trustream, 8) Mad Scientist Black Magic USB, 9) Final Touch Audio Callisto

Great write up!

If I may, you may want to reach out to Mark at Sablon Audio. His new 2020 USB cable basically ended all my USB experimentation (including a bunch of DIY stuff) within the first minute of listening. I suspect there are a demo cable or two circulating around your side of the pond. Just fantastic for revealing the coherence and transparency of DAVE (and mScaled DAVE) in an incredibly natural way.

May 16, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #14,530 of 25,992
Ray
Thanks for the comment.

Do you have any links to the new Sablon USB cable for 2020?

May 16, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #14,531 of 25,992
May 17, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #14,532 of 25,992

Bear in mind I am not connecting my USB cable to the Dave, I am connecting to the Blu MkII M Scaler which connects to my Dave via Dual Coaxial.

All USB cables affected my overall sound but the two I most favoured for my system were 8 & 9. I currently use 9 not because I would say it is particularly better than 8 (both are exceptional imo) but it is a better fit for the sound of my speakers which are a little bass light. The Black Magic adds a little upper bass and definitely adds presence which I like but do not need with my current speakers. The Callisto gives me more bass, thicker mids and sweeter top end and more importantly is just a little better at closing the gap to a linear frequency band in my system. The callisto has great 'weight' imo. The lower mids are well represented. This became more apparent to me as I improved my electrics with superior cables and fuses.

I have been on a 'no cost-barrier' crusade for the last 18 months to take my system to a higher level. I was confident my Dave and M Scaler had more to give and they did. This started with a new Power amp progressed with acoustic room treatment, new cables (digital, analogue and electrical), Grounding Block and even Synergistic research HFT's and ATM.

The thing about the latter 'passive' room treatments from SR is that they do not add, they subtract the room noise that is interfering with your linear frequency band and believe me it is interfering until you do something about it. The crap that is going on in our rooms when music is playing is horrendous. Eventually if you address this you are left with a true representation of the output of your system, so be careful what you wish for! :frowning2:

For instance I used to like my Danacable but when I paired everything down to the bare bones sound coming out of my speakers it became clear to me that there was a tiring high frequency prominence with this cable not unlike ringing. So the moral of the story here is that cables should be used to balance your system imo but the better you get it the more it will make you critical. A Green SR ATM placed between my speakers on the mantle shelf was the final piece of the jigsaw for me. As close to a perfect frequency/tone balance when using the Callisto USB on my system.

I think for me the overall goal is trying to achieve the most linear frequency balance when choosing cables for my system. When compromised, the dynamics do not deliver for the majority of my music collection and if the dynamics are then compromised on the linear frequency scale so in the drama and musicality for a big chunk of my library. There are some great cables out there and I will not be selling my Black Magic USB or Townshend Interconnects and speaker cables even though I don't currently use them. If I ever change my speakers I may need them. Its all about balance imo.

Thanks for all that. You have reawakened an interest in the Callisto cable that I started a few weeks ago but then did not pursue because I got diverted by other stuff. However I have now arranged for one to be sent to me on Monday to try . . . . . . .

May 17, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #14,533 of 25,992
@Rob Watts what are your current recommendations for settings when using the DAVE and Blu MkII in headphone mode? Do you still advise:
  • HF Filter: (ON)
  • Phase Pos or Neg: (Pos ON)
  • DSD+ Mode: (OFF)
  • PCM+ Mode: (PCM+ ON)
  • Dual Data Mode: (ON)
  • Crossfeed Modes 0, 1, 2, and 3: (Mode 3 ON)

As an aside, I feel having the HF Filter ON yields a stunning difference and I much prefer it to be activated.
Where have you finally settled and why as to HF Filter: (ON) or (OFF)?

May 17, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #14,534 of 25,992
My general rule is HF filter on unless using a Blu2, and crossfeed on for headphones (level depends on recording) and cross feed off for two channel

Caution: if you turn on CF for headphones, it stays on for two channel. Turn off CF before unplugging headphones.
Do you still follow this general rule and why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back