CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 26, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #14,236 of 26,000
I'm sure Bartok is a nice item but when trying Abyss on it, not sure if biased but it did feel "lifeless"

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #14,237 of 26,000
If you want to hear Bartok (instead of poorly driven Abyss) try it with Focal Utopia. I didn't like how Abyss 1266 sound when running directly either from the dCS or DAVE. However, with the dedicated WE Headtrip it is a completely different story, perfect match, expensive dough.

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #14,238 of 26,000
That makes sense, as the amp on the Bartok probably does not have enough power to make Abyss shine. If that was the case and likely is though, I would skip Bartok and get DCS separates then.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #14,239 of 26,000
Well we all hear things differently.
In my main 2 channel Naim system I use a Linn Klimax DS
I am splitting the headphone system off and moving it to another room.
I demoed the TT2 and DAVE last year at CanJam NY and then again at this years CanJam. I have owned a Mojo and Hugo1 for a brief period.

BARTOK was demoed at a dealer in January and then again at CanJam - with Utopias which are my main cans ( I also have Stax).
End result - Bartok was delivered this week. My demo recollections tell me the Bartok has nothing to feel bad about even when going up against my Linn - which is more than double the price.

I also like the idea of an all in one ROON ready box with no external cable quality/matching issues.

Since Headfi is extremely pro Chord I'm ready for incoming.
No worries though - different strokes for different folks

With that said dCS is on a roll with the Bartok. Many favorable reviews and many new owners. Quite a few Naim 2 channel owners in the UK have been moving in that direction.

Competition is a good thing.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #14,240 of 26,000
If you want to hear Bartok (instead of poorly driven Abyss) try it with Focal Utopia. I didn't like how Abyss 1266 sound when running directly either from the dCS or DAVE. However, with the dedicated WE Headtrip it is a completely different story, perfect match, expensive dough.
Yes that could be the reason. I run the Abyss of a Moon 600i integrated which is 125W into 8 ohms, so about 12-15W into 33 ohms of the Abyss roughly. Odd but the Aries Cerat Genus tube amp with 'only' 25W also handles the Abyss easily and sounds wonderful.

Mar 26, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #14,241 of 26,000
I use the formula s/powerman with my abyss tc and susvara and it is wonderful....I have found power ratings and watts do not necessarily tell you all that much...I have owned the violectric 281 and the Ican pro and a wells amp all with more power and yet the formula s/powerman is far better.....

Mar 27, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #14,242 of 26,000
I use the formula s/powerman with my abyss tc and susvara and it is wonderful....I have found power ratings and watts do not necessarily tell you all that much...I have owned the violectric 281 and the Ican pro and a wells amp all with more power and yet the formula s/powerman is far better.....
I agree 100%. It may be slew rates, and of course how well the power supply can supply the current. The X1 is an excellent choice really near the top of tree for the TC.

Mar 27, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #14,243 of 26,000
Well we all hear things differently.
In my main 2 channel Naim system I use a Linn Klimax DS
I am splitting the headphone system off and moving it to another room.
I demoed the TT2 and DAVE last year at CanJam NY and then again at this years CanJam. I have owned a Mojo and Hugo1 for a brief period.

BARTOK was demoed at a dealer in January and then again at CanJam - with Utopias which are my main cans ( I also have Stax).
End result - Bartok was delivered this week. My demo recollections tell me the Bartok has nothing to feel bad about even when going up against my Linn - which is more than double the price.

I also like the idea of an all in one ROON ready box with no external cable quality/matching issues.

Since Headfi is extremely pro Chord I'm ready for incoming.
No worries though - different strokes for different folks

With that said dCS is on a roll with the Bartok. Many favorable reviews and many new owners. Quite a few Naim 2 channel owners in the UK have been moving in that direction.

Competition is a good thing.

Well I think the Dave vs Bartok debate will continue to go on, but my opinion is that everyone of us listens differently and hence prefers different things. I had a very brief demo of the Bartok a couple of months ago and felt that it was really good but it didn't really blew my socks off. Given the versatility of the Bartok (dac, stream, headphone amp, pre-amp?) I can see it appealing very much to someone who wants a high-end all-in-one solution.

No matter if you choose the Bartok or Dave, I think there are no losers at the end of the day.

Mar 27, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #14,246 of 26,000
I have waited over 5 weeks as well....

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #14,247 of 26,000
A quick question for those using the Chord Dave with XI Audio Formula S/Powerman headamp with volume control. I am using this setup (with MScaler and Abyss TCs). I can adjust the volume with the volume control on either the Dave or Formula S. Is this correct? If so, what ideally should the volume on the Dave be set at? The reason for asking is that when in DAC mode the Dave fixes the output level. This doesn't seem to be the case when used in preamp node. Also can the Dave be run into the Formula S in DAC mode and if so are there any advantages? I've ask this same question in the 1266TC thread.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #14,248 of 26,000
A quick question for those using the Chord Dave with XI Audio Formula S/Powerman headamp with volume control. I am using this setup (with MScaler and Abyss TCs). I can adjust the volume with the volume control on either the Dave or Formula S. Is this correct? If so, what ideally should the volume on the Dave be set at? The reason for asking is that when in DAC mode the Dave fixes the output level. This doesn't seem to be the case when used in preamp node. Also can the Dave be run into the Formula S in DAC mode and if so are there any advantages? I've ask this same question in the 1266TC thread.

The actual output signal is the same whether Dave is in DAC mode or Preamp mode, the only difference is that DAC mode is fixed output volume and in preamp mode the volume is variable. There is some advantage to using preamp mode in that you can adjust the volume to suit the sensitivity of your head amp.

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #14,249 of 26,000
Hi guys, need some advice on driving speakers directly with Dave. I demoed the Cube Audio Nenuphars by hooking them up straight to Dave's RCA outs. It sounded amazing and it looks like it can go loud enough. I'm just not sure though how far you can push Dave's volume given that the speakers are 6 Ohm? Does the same rule of thumb of you being able to go up to +3dB still apply? For what it's worth, I didn't dare to go higher than -7dB and it was definitely adequate (also in the low bass region!), even for a very quiet classical recording. I'd just like to know how far you can go, what the risks are and what signs you need to look out for.

@romaz, @ray-dude: I hope you don't mind I tag you in this post, since you both have posted on this subject before.

Sorry, just seeing this (alas, pandemic-induced-tardiness...believe it or not, this past weekend was the first time I've been able to listen to music in 3-4 weeks).

I've only had Omega (Super/Compact) Alnico Monitors and Voxativ speakers (1.6 drivers and 4D drivers) connected to my DAVE, so I can't speak to the Cube Audio's directly (although they look very cool!)

At 92dB sensitivity, you should be fine pushing DAVE to +5 or +6 dB (with mScaler) or +3dB (without). With single driver speakers, you will hear it very clearly if DAVE starts having trouble pushing current. As you calibrate how far you're able to go, I recommend a binaural recording that you're familiar with (I listen to a lot of Chesky stuff). As things start getting pushed to their limit, that wonderful holographic all around you sound stage will start to collapse and get more granular. You can also focus on sound stage depth (depth is one of the most wonderful and most delicate attributes of DAVE).

Hope everyone is safe and well...

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #14,250 of 26,000
many here place solo dave above the mTT2. given the potency and musicality of the hms how does a solo dave compensate for the missing hms effect found in an mscaled tt2? detailed replies extremely appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back