CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 29, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,411 of 25,973
Nah, it's cool, John...and I feel you, I really do. I couldn't presume to make a better stand, only a stand that would work. Regardless, I've bought the DAVE and it will be shipped to me tomorrow. I am happy. :)

In other news, since I have you on the line, what was the thought about adding the pre-emphasis function, where it "de-emphasizes" these old CD flags? It hasn't been a common thing with CD audio in a long time, but boy this function is a DAC is super cool! I guess I can listen to those "Holy Grail" Dark Side of the Moon and Abbey Road black triangle releases with confidence. :atsmile:  
Rob always strives to keep as many playing options open as possible and with Dave that includes older pre emphasised CDs too for those of us with CD collections going back a good few years.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4,412 of 25,973
Yes, really! Don't fall into the fallacy that expensive things are always better. Didn't you read Rob's advice about "Don't listen with your wallet"?

I do prefer DAVE over Mojo but, again, for its price the Mojo is hard to beat. $13,000 is a lots of money, especially where you live, but if you have money to burn, it's your prerogative.

Here's how Rob feels about the Mojo:

"I was kind of annoyed that some people were comparing it to $100 DACs when the true competitors were $100K."

It outperforms many DACs more expensive than the DAVE so no shame in using the Mojo for a high-end setup.  If it works for you, go for it.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,413 of 25,973
Rob always strives to keep as many playing options open as possible and with Dave that includes older pre emphasised CDs too for those of us with CD collections going back a good few years.

That is just the coolest thing EVER!

I inherited a bunch of classical CDs dating back to the early '80s, and it was always too much of a pain to break them out because of pre-emphasis. I could be in for a whole new world now, because most of them are long out of print.

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #4,415 of 25,973
  I'm nearly positive this has been covered but what does everyone do with their DAVE when not in use?

Do you use the power switch on the back on the standby button on the remote?  How often do you turn your DAVE on/off?

As soon as I have the desire to listen to music, I turn it on (no warm-up phase considered). I turn it off when I leave the house; otherwise mostly before I go to sleep.

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #4,418 of 25,973
I'm nearly positive this has been covered but what does everyone do with their DAVE when not in use?

Do you use the power switch on the back on the standby button on the remote?  How often do you turn your DAVE on/off?

For myself I use the remote while in the house to turn on or off when using and if leaving for a while or going to sleep I switch it off.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,419 of 25,973

As soon as I have the desire to listen to music, I turn it on (no warm-up phase considered). I turn it off when I leave the house; otherwise mostly before I go to sleep.

So it's on/off once a day then?  Do you use the switch or the remote to turn it off/on?

Mostly, yes – unless I leave the house after a listening session and come back for another one. My remote control is in the original box, I never use it.

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #4,420 of 25,973
For myself I use the remote while in the house to turn on or off when using and if leaving for a while or going to sleep I switch it off.

Thanks.  So you really only have it on when it use and in standby when not and fully off at night.  Much appreciated. 

Mostly, yes – unless I leave the house after a listening session and come back for another one. My remote control is in the original box, I never use it.

So you're an all or nothing guy :)  Thank you.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #4,422 of 25,973
I have about a few hundred CDs I bought by 1989. They sound fine to me, actually better as a whole than newer ones, so I hold on to them.

Most assuredly because they are not dynamically compromised, as the trend to squash all dynamics and brickwall the music really began in the early '90s. CD technology, itself, really hasn't changed.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #4,423 of 25,973
Thanks for that. Sometimes the newer "remastered" pressings sound too clinical or HiFi and I keep reverting to my original CDs. These are the ones I tend to rip for my desktop system (a Hugo TT).

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #4,424 of 25,973
Yeah, most remasters are crap. Not all, if course, but "remaster" these days are mostly synonymous with LOUD and compressed. As a headphone listener this pisses me off to no end. Fatigue sets in fast with this "modern" trend.

If you don't already know about it, check out this link, and check your CDs.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back