CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #25,801 of 25,856
Don’t agree with that at all. I certainly wouldn’t call myself crazy!

Though my DAVE was used and was stock, I paid around 50% of its retail price and spent just a couple of hundred £s, if that, getting help from someone else to mod it (larger caps and resistors) to bring better performance to the headphone dac element IMO.

As previously mentioned there is no known successor to Dave from Chrord scheduled for anytime soon. Instead there is finally a scaler built for it, so we no longer have to use the scaler that was actually built for TT2, and one that will certainly breathe new life into the desire to have or even find, a used Dave. Thats my take on it anyway but guess we will know what impact it has by the end of the year.
First off, I used "crazy" referring to passionate enthusiasts in the most positive way,

Secondly, you just proved my point.
You bought a used DAVE and implemented the mods on your own.
Why buy a DAVE modified by someone else?

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #25,802 of 25,856
First off, I used "crazy" referring to passionate enthusiasts in the most positive way,

Secondly, you just proved my point.
You bought a used DAVE and implemented the mods on your own.
Why buy a DAVE modified by someone else?

Your statement and use of the word crazy doesn’t come across as implying passionate to me but inferring to be mad. If you replace crazy with both words, you can see why I may think that.
The only folks crazy enough to buy a modded DAVE with voided warranty are the same folks who can do the mods themselves.

Anyway to answer your question I also disagree that you happen to know why I bought my Dave. Surely I can only know that?

Your “point proven” is way off, the real answer is….
Because I simply couldn’t find a modified Dave at all.

I personally would have paid a premium once I had done my due diligence.

Don’t forget we are all different, lack of warranty doesn’t bother me. Some will find that “crazy” (mad, not passionate)
The same way you prefer Mojo2 and Mscaler Vs Dave and Mscaler and that is fine and right for you.

Anyway enjoy your set up.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #25,803 of 25,856
Your statement and use of the word crazy doesn’t come across as implying passionate to me but inferring to be mad. If you replace crazy with both words, you can see why I may think that.

Anyway to answer your question I also disagree that you happen to know why I bought my Dave. Surely I can only know that?

Your “point proven” is way off, the real answer is….
Because I simply couldn’t find a modified Dave at all.

I personally would have paid a premium once I had done my due diligence.

Don’t forget we are all different, lack of warranty doesn’t bother me. Some will find that “crazy” (mad, not passionate)
The same way you prefer Mojo2 and Mscaler Vs Dave and Mscaler and that is fine and right for you.

Anyway enjoy your set up.
Fair enough, lets end it there.
It was silly for me to opine on whether modded DAVE is a good investment or not (who cares!).
As you said, we are all different, but share passion for musical enjoyment.

Cheers

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #25,804 of 25,856
Fair enough, lets end it there.
It was silly for me to opine on whether modded DAVE is a good investment or not (who cares!).
As you said, we are all different, but share passion for musical enjoyment.

Cheers

Wasn't silly, and your feedback and everyone else's was helpful. Clearly some would be interested and some not. But it all confirmed how I was thinking about it was reasonable and I'll likely be proceeding with the mods.

Also am moving forward on the Lampizator Pacific and will use it alongside the Dave unmodded for at least 3-4 weeks first. I'll take a lot of notes, and the Pacific should really help me better understand how the Dave changes as I'll have a before and after reference point against another high quality dac. Will share both sets of impressions here for those interested.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #25,805 of 25,856
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #25,806 of 25,856
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #25,807 of 25,856
Prefer the holo may?
Yeah. Going to post some impressions in May thread soon, but nothing terribly different to what others have said already. However, I will say that this somewhat lazy notion of DAVE being 'digital' still doesn't sit with me. It's still a profoundly musical DAC to me. A listen to classical and soundtracks easily confirms this when it comes to instrument representation.

It's an incredible DAC with an underrated amp too.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #25,808 of 25,856
Yeah. Going to post some impressions in May thread soon, but nothing terribly different to what others have said already. However, I will say that this somewhat lazy notion of DAVE being 'digital' still doesn't sit with me. It's still a profoundly musical DAC to me. A listen to classical and soundtracks easily confirms this when it comes to instrument representation.
Yeh I agree it is very musical but when you compare dave to all the other dacs in this price range and then above it is the most digital sounding of them all. Still an amazing dac though.I miss mine.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #25,809 of 25,856
Yeh I agree it is very musical but when you compare dave to all the other dacs in this price range and then above it is the most digital sounding of them all. Still an amazing dac though.I miss mine.
I don't have the stomach to spend more than I have. This morning has been f-ing joyful just listening to music instead of my system for first time in actual months if I'm being honest with myself. Always tinkering to do, but on the bigger pieces (two main headphones, amp, and dac) I'm totally happy.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #25,811 of 25,856
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #25,812 of 25,856
Just got back from AXPONA. Spoke with Colin from Chord for a bit which was fun. and informative. Listened to the RAAL 1995 Triple ribbon headphones which sounded fantastic. Finally got to listen with a Feliks Envy (nice) and the DCA LINA stack (Nice but I prefer the Chord. The only thing I liked more is it has more volume but that included the Headphone amp which even used is going for $6.5K. so no.).

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #25,813 of 25,856
Just got back from AXPONA. Spoke with Colin from Chord for a bit which was fun. and informative. Listened to the RAAL 1995 Triple ribbon headphones which sounded fantastic. Finally got to listen with a Feliks Envy (nice) and the DCA LINA stack (Nice but I prefer the Chord. The only thing I liked more is it has more volume but that included the Headphone amp which even used is going for $6.5K. so no.).
Interesting, we had some people raving about the dCS Lina 😂😂 😂

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #25,814 of 25,856
Interesting, we had some people raving about the dCS Lina 😂😂 😂
I heard the Lina with clock too using my own senns, a Sus and others.. it didnt move me. I cant understand what people find so good about it. My modded MDave is miles ahead

20231007_135719.jpg

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #25,815 of 25,856
I heard the Lina with clock too using my own senns, a Sus and others.. it didnt move me. I cant understand what people find so good about it. My modded MDave is miles ahead

20231007_135719.jpg
That is precisely what I experienced, given the large chunks of cash they ask for it, I was expecting a lot more. Not impressed and most importantly not feeling the music and emotion at all through dCS.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Ards
Back