Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #3,376 of 6,295
SO a little more detail from my friend on the ROON forum about the crippled 2GO WIFI CHIP. TBH it is false advertising to say this is a hi-rez wireless streamer... if you start to run into trouble at 96 and it's simply incapable of streaming things above 192... CHORD really eff'd this up:

SHORT VERSION (WHICH EXACTLY EXPLAIN ALL THE ISSUES I HAVE HAD WITH 3 DIFFERENT ROUTER SETUPS):
"As you can see, reported by my Meraki (==enterprise oriented kit), the 2Go only supports a single stream. This means real-world it will get max data rate of around 20-25Mb/s, assuming “normal” interference levels and NO OTHER DEVICES on the 2.4Ghz channel consuming anything more than trivial amounts of bandwidth (e.g., your kid firing up a 2.4Ghz-only phone or laptop and streaming Disney+ at the same time will absolutely kill you).192k PCM (~12.5Mb/s) could work, but is likely to have hiccups. 384k PCM (~25Mb/s) MIGHT work when the stars are aligned, but is more or less doomed. And as said before, 768k (~50Mb/s) will never work."

LONG VERSION:
So I saw this got reposted over on head-fi (where I do not have an account), so I figured I’d give a bit more background here. Sorry for the wall of text…

Wi-Fi transmission rates have three main factors that determine their maximum theoretical bandwidth: channel width, symbol encoding scheme, and stream count.

On 2.4Ghz, channel width is fixed at 20Mhz. (Use of 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz is considered very bad neighborship – the only practical real-world usage is for point-to-point wireless links using highly directional antennas such as a Yagi.) On 5Ghz, wider channels are supported. 802.11n supports 40Mhz channels. 802.11ac and 802.11ax support up to 160Mhz channels, but that’s not really practical in the real world, except for the afore-mentioned point-to-point links. Realistic maximum is 80Mhz channels, which can work OK in the home where you typically have low density deployments. (But keep in mind density is not affected by just your kit, but all your surrounding neighbor’s kit as well.) For enterprise, channel width is usually restricted to 40Mhz, and even restricting everything to 20Mhz is quite common for mid to very dense deployments (e.g., stadiums).

The symbol encoding scheme is a variable sliding scale, referred to as the “MCS index”. The client and the AP each exchange frames indicating their max supported index. (The index actually encodes both the symbol encoding scheme and the stream count, but don’t worry about that.) They then attempt to run the connection at the maximum rate both support. For 802.11n, that would be 64-QAM encoding with 400ns guard interval, which gives a max possible rate of 72Mb/s per 20Mhz channel stream. The 2Go advertisement of 65Mb/s indicates it does not support the top MCS index, instead one down. Now, I keep mentioning “theoretical maximum”, because in the real world, you will almost never communicate at maximum signal rate. The client and AP are constantly re-evaluating the symbol encoding selection to maximize bandwidth as RF conditions change. And change they do – constantly. There is so much interference from other devices, wall penetration reducing single strength, multipath reflections, etc., that your average real-world rates are often only half the theoretical max, and can frequently be MUCH WORSE. It’s not uncommon to see single-stream 2.4Ghz top out at around 20-25Mbit/s. And that’s BEFORE you factor in Wi-Fi is a shared, half-duplex medium and other devices on your network will steal time slots, reducing those rates further. Hence why 384k PCM, which is ~25Mb/s continuous, is going to be extremely unreliable on a single-stream 2.4Ghz channel. And the ~50Mb/s of a 768k PCM (or DSD512) is a complete and utter fantasy. (While not directly relevant here, since the 2Go is an 802.11n device, 802.11ac and 802.11ax introduce more modern encoding schemes capable of even higher symbol rates within the same channel width.)

The third factor is concurrent spatial streams. Wi-Fi is based on spread spectrum technology, whereby the signal is sent on different frequencies within the channel using a mapping pattern such that the energy is “spread” across the spectrum. Using multiple radios (each with their own antenna), with their transmissions offset in the spreading pattern from each other, you can effectively transmit multiple “streams” at the same time within a single channel. There are practical limits to this, however, both in physical terms (e.g., you need separate radios, antennas and sufficient power for each stream) and electromagnetic terms (e.g., they will interfere with each other if there is not enough spacing between them, making the signal unrecoverable at the receiver). 802.11n supports a maximum of four streams. In practice, only access points support the full four streams. Most client solutions were 1x1 (single receive, single transmit – typically used for IoT devices and other low bandwidth/cheap/etc devices), 2x1 (2 receive, 1 transmit – typically used by cheap to mid tier laptops where download is more important than upload), 2x2 (high end laptops) or 3x(2|3) (extremely rare, very high end laptops – plus some PCI Wi-Fi cards for fixed-in-place desktops).

image740×1062 70.4 KB

As you can see, reported by my Meraki (==enterprise oriented kit), the 2Go only supports a single stream. This means real-world it will get max data rate of around 20-25Mb/s, assuming “normal” interference levels and NO OTHER DEVICES on the 2.4Ghz channel consuming anything more than trivial amounts of bandwidth (e.g., your kid firing up a 2.4Ghz-only phone or laptop and streaming Disney+ at the same time will absolutely kill you). 192k PCM (~12.5Mb/s) could work, but is likely to have hiccups. 384k PCM (~25Mb/s) MIGHT work when the stars are aligned, but is more or less doomed. And as said before, 768k (~50Mb/s) will never work.

Had Chord used a dual stream solution, the’d have bought the 2Go a bit of headroom such that 384k would probably work most of the time, and 768k could work when the stars are aligned, but would largely be unreliable. Better yet to have used a dual-band, dual stream solution, as then you end up with four times the real-world bandwidth of the solution they implemented. Even 768k could work then, though it would probably still suffer hiccups. Big advantage to 5Ghz is way more channels, too, so much less interference from your neighbors/etc, making for a far more reliable signal (=higher real-world symbol rates on average).

That is quite interesting. I always found that my Samsung 4K TV is a far better streamer, even being stable with far higher bandwidths (4K resolution with 5.1 audio).

Would be really funny if $1300 streamer is technically worse than a TV, if the Wifi chip is that bad like you discovered.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #3,378 of 6,295
That is quite interesting. I always found that my Samsung 4K TV is a far better streamer, even being stable with far higher bandwidths (4K resolution with 5.1 audio).

Would be really funny if $1300 streamer is technically worse than a TV, if the Wifi chip is that bad like you discovered.
Yes... it’s entirely misleading... sitting here now 5 feet from router glitching out at 192.... thinking of throwing this against wall.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #3,379 of 6,295
Yes... it’s entirely misleading... sitting here now 5 feet from router glitching out at 192.... thinking of throwing this against wall.
Even the Pi4 is equipped with dual band Wi-Fi. It will stream 705k/768k NAA on Wi-Fi when in direct sight of the router, but I use it with ethernet cable in my permanent setup.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #3,380 of 6,295
Ugh, I both want this news about the garbage wifi chip to be true, so we can stop investigating the issue but I also don't want it to be true as that would mean that as a group, we have collectively spend hundreds if not thousands of hours beta testing this unit, becoming frustrated, reporting our concerns and results back to Chord over their support email and this forum all for nothing.

All this testing for nothing, all these comments and discussions for nothing, all those hours of playing with wifi, buying new network gear and being frustrated at our expensive music player that doesn't work FOR NOTHING.

The unit is hamstrung by a wifi chip that is not fit for purpose in a £50 phone, let alone a £1000 streaming unit attached to a £2000 DAC

If true, that Chord would so egregiously cut corners on the wifi chip of a premium streaming product is deeply deeply disappointing.

What, to me, is so much worse, is that they would let all of us waste our time, money and energy trying to fix the connection issues when they must have known all along that their bargain basement chip was the bottleneck and nothing we do on our end will make any difference.

I'm not sure I have ever been more disappointed with a company's behaviour in terms of personally wasting my time and not coming clean for their mistakes.

@Matt Bartlett it would be wonderful to get an official confirmation on the allegations above to put our minds at rest. Plus some guidance on whether there will be a product recall before we start returning our units.
Thanks

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #3,381 of 6,295
Sadly all that you say is true Jonnyt, and can't help thinking Chord have scored a massive own goal by taking the circling the wagons approach. I could be wrong, but I think most of us would have been happy with some honest feedback from them,and the offer to either return the 2Go or stick it out with the promise of gradual improvements.
I have never went down this route before, but would Trading Standards or some other regulatory group be an option for the many disaffected on here?

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #3,382 of 6,295
Sadly all that you say is true Jonnyt, and can't help thinking Chord have scored a massive own goal by taking the circling the wagons approach. I could be wrong, but I think most of us would have been happy with some honest feedback from them,and the offer to either return the 2Go or stick it out with the promise of gradual improvements.
I have never went down this route before, but would Trading Standards or some other regulatory group be an option for the many disaffected on here?
There are no gradual improvements possible. This is a HARDWARE problem NOT a FIRMWARE problem. IT IS UNFIXABLE. Anything above 96k is at risk of glitching with the current WiFi chipset... and over 192 forget it. This party is over. Chord has led the entire community on for years starting with Poly. I now also better understand the rationale behind MQA.... yet rob watts would rather wage a religious war.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #3,383 of 6,295
There are no gradual improvements possible. This is a HARDWARE problem NOT a FIRMWARE problem. IT IS UNFIXABLE. Anything above 96k is a risk of glitching with the current WiFi chipset... and over 192 forget it. This party is over. Chord has led the entire community on for years starting with Poly.
Well that being the case Chord need to:
1)Make a statement to the contrary, or a statement confirming this.
2)If hardware solution required, do a product recall.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #3,384 of 6,295
would Trading Standards or some other regulatory group be an option for the many disaffected on here?
I am not an expert but I would imagine not.
Chord can say: "Well, if your unit is close to a wifi router, in a house with no neighbours utilising the 2.4GHz band and you have no other items in your house using the wifi, you can theoretically stream high res files up to 192ish".
And if you plug in via ethernet cable, you can bypass our crappy wifi chip and you're good to go!"

Did Chord ever specifically guarantee that the 2go would stream very high res files over wifi? Did they ever specifically say that you wouldn't need absolutely ideal wifi conditions in order to even stream at all?

If not, we're at the mercy of how ethical they want to be to disappointed customers right now.

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #3,385 of 6,295
Well that being the case Chord need to:
1)Make a statement to the contrary, or a statement confirming this.
2)If hardware solution required, do a product recall.
They can’t deny it. See data above and 3rd party analysis of chip capability.... the numbers don’t lie bud. The only rational here is that Chord has been grossly defrauded by their developer.... and lacking internal networking engineering capability were snowed by the dev promising “FW” fixes.... if not this then Chord has deceived all of us knowingly.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #3,386 of 6,295
I am not an expert but I would imagine not.
Chord can say: "Well, if your unit is close to a wifi router, in a house with no neighbours utilising the 2.4GHz band and you have no other items in your house using the wifi, you can theoretically stream high res files up to 192ish".
And if you plug in via ethernet cable, you can bypass our crappy wifi chip and you're good to go!"

Did Chord ever specifically guarantee that the 2go would stream very high res files over wifi? Did they ever specifically say that you wouldn't need absolutely ideal wifi conditions in order to even stream at all?

If not, we're at the mercy of how ethical they want to be to disappointed customers right now.

Well surely Trading Standards can insist that Chord put this in bold type on all their advertising, and on a sticker on the 2Go box :relaxed: :relaxed:
"Well, if your unit is close to a wifi router, in a house with no neighbours utilising the 2.4GHz band and you have no other items in your house using the wifi, you can theoretically stream high res files up to 192ish".

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #3,387 of 6,295
There are no gradual improvements possible. This is a HARDWARE problem NOT a FIRMWARE problem. IT IS UNFIXABLE. Anything above 96k is at risk of glitching with the current WiFi chipset... and over 192 forget it. This party is over. Chord has led the entire community on for years starting with Poly. I now also better understand the rationale behind MQA.... yet rob watts would rather wage a religious war.

Can you please stop capitalising everything, no need to shout. I am sure we all have rather good hearing in being on here :wink:

I cannot help but find all this drama rather amusing. For what it is worth, I still really enjoy this product. Luckily I don't have any files bigger than 192khz anyway.

However, I would be disappointed if it turned out to be true that a £1000 product can have such crippled wifi capabilities..

I understand that margin is king but I would have thought that things would be ever so slightly skewed the other way after Poly..

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #3,388 of 6,295
I just thought of a hack that may help. I changed the PWD for my 2.4 ghz net to ensure there are no other devices using it other than 2go... will test for next 48hrs and report back. So with this config... 2go is now exclusively using 2.4. Everything else is relegated to 5 ghz.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #3,389 of 6,295
I just thought of a hack that may help. I changed the PWD for my 2.4 ghz net to ensure there are no other devices using it other than 2go... will test for next 48hrs and report back. So with this config... 2go is now exclusively using 2.4. Everything else is relegated to 5 ghz.
Don't get your hopes up, I switched everything over to 5GHz a while back and still have very patchy connectivity streaming FLAC files on my otherwise empty 2.4GHz channel

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #3,390 of 6,295
.....2go is now exclusively using 2.4. Everything else is relegated to 5 ghz.

"Promoted" to 5ghz, I would have thought. I live on the 10th floor of an apartment building and I'm surrounded by other residents' 2.4 Ghz WiFi signals, 10 unique SSIDs at last count. By contrast, mine is the only 5gz signal I can detect, and everthing is set up using that WiFi band, Chord's Mojo and 2go excepted. In my view, it was a poor and puzzling decision to stick with a single 2.4 Ghz WiFi band. Add in no Google cast, no airplay 2, and while we're at it, micro usb charging, the 2go is disappointingly old school tech which limits it's future functionality and flexibility. Having said all that, when it runs glitch free (and it does for me, mostly running Roon), it sounds fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back