Choosing the right headphones for £150 budget
Oct 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

InASOT

New Head-Fier
1. What are the best headphones available right now for under £150?
2. What are the best headphones for EDM? I listen to trance, vocal trance and progessive house mostly. :)
3. Sennheiser HD25-1 II vs Audio Technica ATH-M50x or any other headphones better than these?
4. What amp do you guys recommend?

[COLOR=FF00AA]Let the answers begin! :D[/COLOR]

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 17
1. What are the best headphones available right now for under £150?
2. What are the best headphones for EDM? I listen to trance, vocal trance and progressive house mostly.
smily_headphones1.gif

3. Sennheiser HD25-1 II vs Audio Technica ATH-M50x or any other headphones better than these?
4. What amp do you guys recommend?

Let the answers begin!
biggrin.gif

What sources are you going to be using?

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 17
When I am on the go they will be connected to my Xperia Z1/Ipad and the Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2

Whilst at home I will be using my MacBook Pro or my custom pc and the JDS Labs O2/ODAC.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 17
I actually have the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. But I feel like buying an upgrade, I would like a headphone which has good bass and miss with decent highs that are not piercing. I listen to many genres but my favourite is trance/vocal trance.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 17
As someone with similar tastes musically to your own I believe you won't do better for your on the go needs. There is the amperior which I consider a sideways move. I own the amperior which is a lower impedance can with a more v shaped curve than the standard HD25s. I have spent significant time with HD25s. Not sure if you can still pickup amperiors as they've been discontinued but you could get them on the cheap $130-150 AUD recently.

Some people speak highly of Aiaiai TMAs but I wasn't a fan. Any store that sells DJ equipment should have a variety of cans to audition.

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 17
http://homeavdirect.co.uk/bang-olufsen-h6-limited-edition-by-ricarso-akn
These H6s have a different sound signature to your HD-25s, and will complement them while looking fab.

I prefer the amperior over hd-25 originals, it's more fun to listen to.

I also recommend the KEF M50s: http://homeavdirect.co.uk/kef-m500-on-ear-hifi-headphones-openbox
This is an AMAZING deal.

The K550 is also a very good deal right now: http://homeavdirect.co.uk/akg-k550-closed-back-reference-headphones-free-jbl-ms-2

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 17
As someone with similar tastes musically to your own I believe you won't do better for your on the go needs. There is the amperior which I consider a sideways move. I own the amperior which is a lower impedance can with a more v shaped curve than the standard HD25s. I have spent significant time with HD25s. Not sure if you can still pickup amperiors as they've been discontinued but you could get them on the cheap $130-150 AUD recently.

Some people speak highly of Aiaiai TMAs but I wasn't a fan. Any store that sells DJ equipment should have a variety of cans to audition.

Oh okay. Yeah I have considered the amperior, they are around £160+ in the UK and won't be decreasing in price anytime soon so just over my budget. I have read about them but I haven't heard them yet which is what I need to do next. I don't mind V shape curves but how do the mids sound - how clear are the vocals in this case?

I have heard the AiAiAi TMA-1 and I prefer the Shure SRH840 to it. It is only the build quality of the SRH840 that worries me when I use it as my portable HP.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 17
http://homeavdirect.co.uk/bang-olufsen-h6-limited-edition-by-ricarso-akn
These H6s have a different sound signature to your HD-25s, and will complement them while looking fab.

I prefer the amperior over hd-25 originals, it's more fun to listen to.

I also recommend the KEF M50s: http://homeavdirect.co.uk/kef-m500-on-ear-hifi-headphones-openbox
This is an AMAZING deal.

The K550 is also a very good deal right now: http://homeavdirect.co.uk/akg-k550-closed-back-reference-headphones-free-jbl-ms-2

The first two headphones look great but I don't know how they sound. The ATH-M50 has slightly recessed mids but very good highs. I have heard that the K550 has good mids but slightly recessed highs. Bass wise the ATH m50 is more powerful I have heard. I am considering the K550.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 17
Oh okay. Yeah I have considered the amperior, they are around £160+ in the UK and won't be decreasing in price anytime soon so just over my budget. I have read about them but I haven't heard them yet which is what I need to do next. I don't mind V shape curves but how do the mids sound - how clear are the vocals in this case?

I have heard the AiAiAi TMA-1 and I prefer the Shure SRH840 to it. It is only the build quality of the SRH840 that worries me when I use it as my portable HP.

Eh, what's 10 quid :wink:. Mids are solid - you can EQ them if need be. Incidentally I also own the Shure SRH840's and have done for almost 5 years now. They're great cans, very close to neutral and mids are probably their strong point. Amperior's / HD25's are a lot more forgiving when it comes to poorly recorded music than the Shure's. Keep in mind that the Shure's are HUGE on the head - to the point where I would not consider them for on the go needs especially with the thick curled cable.

Couple of other portable cans around this price point that I personally haven't had any experience with:
Philips Fidelio L1, a semi-closed phone that can be had on the cheap at the moment due its discontinuation.
Beyerdynamic T50p

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 17
The first two headphones look great but I don't know how they sound. The ATH-M50 has slightly recessed mids but very good highs. I have heard that the K550 has good mids but slightly recessed highs. Bass wise the ATH m50 is more powerful I have heard. I am considering the K550.

K550 sounds AMAZING for 99 quid, they sound like a mini HD800 with less highs. They are a closed headphone that sounds like an open one, and are like pillows for your ears. Bass on the K550 seems to go down forever, I can hear the lowest of low bass in a silent environment.

ATH M50 sounds like the HD25, so I would definitely go for the K550 as a sound change.

The H6 is actually quite balanced- many people say it's lacking in bass, but from what I've heard, it extends very deep and hits hard when it needs to.

Both H6 and K550 are uber comfortable, and both look nice in my opinion.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #11 of 17
Eh, what's 10 quid :wink:. Mids are solid - you can EQ them if need be. Incidentally I also own the Shure SRH840's and have done for almost 5 years now. They're great cans, very close to neutral and mids are probably their strong point. Amperior's / HD25's are a lot more forgiving when it comes to poorly recorded music than the Shure's. Keep in mind that the Shure's are HUGE on the head - to the point where I would not consider them for on the go needs especially with the thick curled cable.

Couple of other portable cans around this price point that I personally haven't had any experience with:
Philips Fidelio L1, a semi-closed phone that can be had on the cheap at the moment due its discontinuation.
Beyerdynamic T50p

Lol spare to give a young man some change haha :D
I will try to find some coins somewhere. I am seriously at a budget of £150...it's all i have at the moment and I have nothing else to sell apart from the clothes on my back.

The shure cans sound so good from what I have heard but they seem to be rather analytical and it might subtract much more than the hd25-1 from the experience of listening to some poorly recorded music from what i gather.
In my library there is the occasional poorer quality tune. Probably 25 out of a 1000.

I have heard the beyerdynamic t50p and i did not like it. It was great in the treble but lacked in the mids and bass. Bass was not as impacting as the hd25-1 ii but it was the same as hd25-1 in the mids.

Haven't heard the Fidelio yet and need to find them pennies lol :D

My new headphone has to be better in the mids with a nice bass and atleast a decent treble.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 17
From my experience I preferred the hd25-II in every way except comfort over the m50 and m50x, for edm too. Felt like the bass was a little tighter and vocals seemed a little nicer too. It's definitely a downgrade/side grade to get them so I'd definitely look at other headphones.

I've tried the b&o h6 too and I'd say the bass hits a little too lightly for edm music. It was one of the reasons I personally went for the b&w p7's over the h6's. I found Beyer t51p's sounded very good when I heard them recently though I didn't get to listen to them for very long. They seemed quite well balanced though.

Edit: you could look into the new Sony MDR 1a's too. I have the 1r (the older model) which has lovely mids for vocals although the bass was a little lacking. Apparently the new 1a model has much improved bass though. They're also incredibly comfortable - definitely the most comfortable headphones I've ever used and the 1a should be just as comfy.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 17
K550 sounds AMAZING for 99 quid, they sound like a mini HD800 with less highs. They are a closed headphone that sounds like an open one, and are like pillows for your ears. Bass on the K550 seems to go down forever, I can hear the lowest of low bass in a silent environment.

ATH M50 sounds like the HD25, so I would definitely go for the K550 as a sound change.

The H6 is actually quite balanced- many people say it's lacking in bass, but from what I've heard, it extends very deep and hits hard when it needs to.

Both H6 and K550 are uber comfortable, and both look nice in my opinion.

Looking to try H6 and K550 from what i hear. I have read a lot of negatives of either headphone. I have a dj friend who has the hd 6 so i can ask to try his out. The k550 i have to check reviews or see if i can try out physically at a store if they let me.

Yh you are right, looking for a different sound signature. Headphones which complement trance and other genres but with emphasis on mids. I really want to hear female vocals better than with the hd25.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 17
You can get used Sennheiser Momentum or Denon D600, if you don't mind they are used, for under 150GBP.

I like momentum on ears but got my hd25 instead plus i forgot to add: they are aluminium :) . Love the over ears though, hopefully i will get them in the future when i have the cash
I have heard the denon d2000 and i liked them but i don't know how the d600 will fair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back