Choosing my first DAP
Nov 28, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 6
A few questions.

1. Do you have a particularly large library that you want to take with you on the go? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo for their two TF Card slots.)
2a. Do you plan on utilizing wifi streaming services? (NO - Astell&Kern)
2b. If so, do you plan on using more than Tidal, Groove+ or Moov? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo)
2c. If not, do you plan on utilizing offline storage for those services? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo)
3. Do you need a 2.5mm balanced output? (YES - Anything but Onkyo DP-X1)
4. Do you prefer a more neutral or a more warm sound? (Neutral - Astell&Kern; Warm - Pioneer or Onkyo)
5. Do you use high impedance headphones? (Get an amp)
6. MQA? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo)
7. Do you have a need to feel like you own the best? (Astell&Kern)
8. Budget?

Budget notwithstanding, my choice would be the Onkyo DP-X1A. I had the DP-X1 when it first came out and enjoyed it, but it seemed a bit warm sounding, particularly when I got ahold of the KANN. In terms of utility, you get Android 5.1.1 on the Onkyo and Pioneer which allows for the saving of Tidal offline (the reason I gave up the KANN, that and the fact I don't need all that power for my IEMs) and has better access to public wifi points or anywhere that requires a login or terms and conditions acceptance (such as where I do 2/3 of my listening). I strongly prefer the sound of the Astell&Kern range. If you are ok with a less than ideal user interface, for around the same cost as the Astell&Kern 70 MkII is the FiiO X7 MkII, which is my go-to player right now, but it isn't perfect.

You've narrowed it down to some good choices. Figure out what your use case will be and then go from there. If I had a music library I could fit onto a single TF card, the Astell & Kern range, particularly the AK 70 MkII would be one of my top 3 choices. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy when you plug in for the first time. Cheers!

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your detailed respond.
Most of the terms are new to me.
I do not have library of music.
I am not sure that I will use all the options that you mention.
I mainly want to have good sound and also use it with my hifi system in my car.

I have the following price"

Pioneer - 480$ (including shipment to Israel)
Onkyo - 630$
Fiio 7 - 485$
astel ak70 mkII - 805$
asyel ak300 - 700$

which one you recomand me price value to my needs?

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for your detailed respond.
Most of the terms are new to me.
I do not have library of music.
I am not sure that I will use all the options that you mention.
I mainly want to have good sound and also use it with my hifi system in my car.

I have the following price"

Pioneer - 480$ (including shipment to Israel)
Onkyo - 630$
Fiio 7 - 485$
astel ak70 mkII - 805$
asyel ak300 - 700$

which one you recomand me price value to my needs?

If I were choosing a player for myself for those, I'd go for the Onkyo DP-X1A (The DP-X1 had a problem with the 2.5mm jack not being secured properly. The X1A fixed that and doubled the native storage - important if you use the balanced jack.), but that's due to a poor first experience with Pioneer. My own prejudice aside, the XDP-300R is going to give you a great starting point. Choosing either one would fit the needs you mentioned. I wish you luck and enjoyment!

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 6
I am using the pioneer 300r and it is just wonderfull.
I have one bothering issue:
Do you know how to connect it as a dac with usb to yamaha reciever or my hifisystem in my car.
I have tried pioneer manual instructions along with otg cable but still any sound.
In the yamaha rxa 3060 i got a remark that it is not supported and not recognized.

May 26, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 6
A few questions.

1. Do you have a particularly large library that you want to take with you on the go? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo for their two TF Card slots.)
2a. Do you plan on utilizing wifi streaming services? (NO - Astell&Kern)
2b. If so, do you plan on using more than Tidal, Groove+ or Moov? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo)
2c. If not, do you plan on utilizing offline storage for those services? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo)
3. Do you need a 2.5mm balanced output? (YES - Anything but Onkyo DP-X1)
4. Do you prefer a more neutral or a more warm sound? (Neutral - Astell&Kern; Warm - Pioneer or Onkyo)
5. Do you use high impedance headphones? (Get an amp)
6. MQA? (YES - Pioneer or Onkyo)
7. Do you have a need to feel like you own the best? (Astell&Kern)
8. Budget?

Budget notwithstanding, my choice would be the Onkyo DP-X1A. I had the DP-X1 when it first came out and enjoyed it, but it seemed a bit warm sounding, particularly when I got ahold of the KANN. In terms of utility, you get Android 5.1.1 on the Onkyo and Pioneer which allows for the saving of Tidal offline (the reason I gave up the KANN, that and the fact I don't need all that power for my IEMs) and has better access to public wifi points or anywhere that requires a login or terms and conditions acceptance (such as where I do 2/3 of my listening). I strongly prefer the sound of the Astell&Kern range. If you are ok with a less than ideal user interface, for around the same cost as the Astell&Kern 70 MkII is the FiiO X7 MkII, which is my go-to player right now, but it isn't perfect.

You've narrowed it down to some good choices. Figure out what your use case will be and then go from there. If I had a music library I could fit onto a single TF card, the Astell & Kern range, particularly the AK 70 MkII would be one of my top 3 choices. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy when you plug in for the first time. Cheers!

This is a great review, I have read it many times.. I too have a KANN which I have for sale due to the lack of Tidal offline availability.

I have just bought a KANN CUBE but wondered whether the Pioneer would have worked for me and is much cheaper?
I mainly use it for my home amp/speakers and air travel every two weeks.
Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back